Sponsored

Premium or Regular unleaded ??

• Thread starter Deleted member 528
  • Start date
  • Watchers 8

Deleted member 528

Hi all,

The cost of Regular VS Premium unleaded is almost a deal breaker.I always heard that turbo needed Premium. What fuel does it need? How about Ethanol 10% ?

Thanks
Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all,

The cost of Regular VS Premium unleaded is almost a deal breaker.I always heard that turbo needed Premium. What fuel does it need? How about Ethanol 10% ?

Thanks
Not sure about the Maverick, but quite often engines will run fine on regular unleaded, but if you want the maximum output quoted in he specs you'll probably have to burn premium.

OP
OP

Deleted member 528

I had bad experience with turbo - namely my first new car - 1987 Plymouth Sundance 2.2L Turbo- It did use Premium unleaded but never got 120K because the turbo died (and the car because of cost).

douglas685

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick XL ordered, currently Honda Ridgeline
My guess is it will be one of those things where it says 87 is fine, but being a turbo you may get better performance on 91+. Most modern high efficiency turbo engines running 87 are really doing a lot of ecu/timing work to prevent pinging constantly; they're just so good at staying right on the line with 87 most people don't notice. But you might get better throttle performance, etc. out of 91. I'm almost certain e85 is probably not allowed, but 10% or 15% ethanol should be OK. Assuming e15 is available in your area, that's a nice way to get 88 (actually closer to 89) octane for cheap.

Also just as FYI I'm guessing the Atkinson-cycle 2.5l hybrid will be just happy with sipping 87, as it's probably not super high compression.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had bad experience with turbo - namely my first new car - 1987 Plymouth Sundance 2.2L Turbo- It did use Premium unleaded but never got 120K because the turbo died (and the car because of cost).
LOL. I had a 87 Lebaron GTS Turbo (Hatch) w/manual transmission. Nothing but trouble after 50K or so miles - transmission, turbos, ... My first and last Mopar product.

It took a lot of convincing of myself (because of the above) to go for the 3.5L Eco-boost twin-turbo in the F150 (over the V8). I finally did it because I wanted the truck to tow my 20" trailer + L-series Kubota and the torque on the 3.5L Eco-Boost is just better (than the NA V8). Also my nephew has a 3.5L Eco-boost which has north of 200K miles.

For my F150, I use regular old 87 Octane except when I have a need to tow a heavy load.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
Hi all,

Thanks
maverivk can run regular on the turbo no problem. I know plenty of people that do.
but yes if you want that 250hp 270lbft you need to run premium. An I would recommend to run premium after every oil change just to help clean up the engine a little.

I would also suggest doing a e85 tune to it too. (5 star tuning) yes your mpg drops but you gain performance

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 Dually
My guess is it will be one of those things where it says 87 is fine, but being a turbo you may get better performance on 91+. Most modern high efficiency turbo engines running 87 are really doing a lot of ecu/timing work to prevent pinging constantly; they're just so good at staying right on the line with 87 most people don't notice. But you might get better throttle performance, etc. out of 91. I'm almost certain e85 is probably not allowed, but 10% or 15% ethanol should be OK. Assuming e15 is available in your area, that's a nice way to get 88 (actually closer to 89) octane for cheap.

Also just as FYI I'm guessing the Atkinson-cycle 2.5l hybrid will be just happy with sipping 87, as it's probably not super high compression.
According to the specs the 2.5l hybrid is 13:1 compression ratio.

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Let's do some math here!

12,000 miles/yr @24mpg = 500 gallons of fuel

Cost of regular at $2.50 x 500 =$1,250
Cost of premium at $2.80 x500 = $1,400

An annual added cost of $150, or $12.50/month. But...a $45 or $60 sams/costco membership at least here in MN gets me premium for +/- $0.05 more, making the only difference the cost of the membership, less than $5/month.

OP
OP

Deleted member 528

$3.94 in Ottawa (Canada) - Premium is around $4.55 (all in US$ and USg)

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
I’m looking at between $0.60 to $0.90/ gal more for Premium than Regular in NY. I’d probably run Premium because I’m used to it anyway as my 2007 Honda Civic Si sedan requires Premium and I’ve been doing that for 14+ years so far.
Sponsored