Optimal way to drive for highest MPG?

bobabree

First Name
Bree
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I live in a densely-populated city with warm weather ~75 degrees. I heard it’s best to go less than 70mph on the highway? Is it best to drive smooth or constant?

My mpg is varying a lot in the city (28-48 mpg)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
It’s fairly simple: light on the brakes, light on the accelerator pedal, keep speeds as low as possible and avoid short trips (warm up penalty is real and has a huge affect). On the highway, follow slower traffic (trucks usually) at a safe distance (don’t draft which saves fuel but is very unsafe). For the biggest gains, keep speeds below 55 mph.

There are websites totally dedicated to this.

GOOD LUCK!

bomberxl

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL, Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You definitely want to be smooth.

Some tips:
  • Use the Hybrid Trainer
    • You will learn when you can let off and reapply throttle to kick it over to electric
    • This also helps you keep track of how much charge you have
  • Maximize regen braking
    • Start slowing down sooner. Use the trainer to find the best brake regen zone. Keep it in the green.
  • Knowing your route and where you can coast
  • Knowing your traffic conditions
    • In stop and go traffic, I like to stay a little out of sync so I don't come to a complete stop if possible. I've always done this though.
  • Terrain is a factor
    • On my way to work I can easily average 50-52 based on the computer, but that same trip home is 60-64.

I prefer to briskly accelerate to my cruising speed then use throttle and terrain to stay there and maximize electric.

I try to not drive under the speed limit. I don't like to speed either.

First tank I averaged 41.5 calculated. I'm currently 3/4 through my second and the computer reads 48.5.

I haven't really used eco mode.

Short, cold trips will kill you though. I've had a couple 1 mile 18mpg trips.

Chicago Mike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shadow Black Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
great tips ☝, i have been really working the terrain, coasting thru long level straightaways, staying in the right lane and no passing. At first i was getting 44 / 45 MPG each way to work (20 Miles, and 70% highway). I am up to 55 / 56 MPG. Also use Eco mode whenever I can remember to turn it on.

Veer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
veer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My overall mpg so far is 38.8 for 600 miles, which is nice but hoping it goes up as the temp warms up and as the engine breaks in. Some people are getting better mpg. Also hoping the engine gets smoother, its rough running now. The EV mode is very smooth but after the engine kicks there are more vibrations from the engine. The truck ride, from tires and suspension point of view is perfect, handling is nice, cornering is nice, also goes over the bumps nicely.

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It’s fairly simple: light on the brakes, light on the accelerator pedal, keep speeds as low as possible and avoid short trips (warm up penalty is real and has a huge affect). On the highway, follow slower traffic (trucks usually) at a safe distance (don’t draft which saves fuel but is very unsafe). For the biggest gains, keep speeds below 55 mph.

There are websites totally dedicated to this.

GOOD LUCK!
Also try to always drive downhill and downwind.

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is expensive for me, as I have to buy a new house everyday. I also miss my dog.

mr_M0J0rzn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do think there are some good tips on here for sure to get better mpg. As far as tracking the mpg, I wouldn’t place much weight on getting 60 mpg or 15 mpg over a mile long trip. Your tank gets you 500 miles give or take, so one mile doesn’t affect much in the grand scheme of things. I typically just make note of how I do on a per fill-up basis.

Sponsored

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I try to use cruise control whenever I can. I can't drive as smooth as cruise control it seems. It always beats me on mpg.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
You're right to ignore anyone who doesn't post round trips. Knowing the weather is just smart.
I try to use cruise control whenever I can.
Hypermilers don't. Speed variation is your friend. That's the whole point of riding the terrain; ICE uphill, EV down. The ICE burn will be more efficient if you sacrifice some speed on a steep hill rather than adding throttle to maintain speed. You'll make up the speed on the down hill.

Sounds like a lot of folks are getting the hybrid differences, and how they add up. Once you get your mileage up, try ethanol-free fuel. It won't pay for itself, but tanks last longer.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're right to ignore anyone who doesn't post round trips. Knowing the weather is just smart.

Hypermilers don't. Speed variation is your friend. That's the whole point of riding the terrain; ICE uphill, EV down. The ICE burn will be more efficient if you sacrifice some speed on a steep hill rather than adding throttle to maintain speed. You'll make up the speed on the down hill.

Sounds like a lot of folks are getting the hybrid differences, and how they add up. Once you get your mileage up, try ethanol-free fuel. It won't pay for itself, but tanks last longer.

I'm not a Hypermiler . Owned a Volt for 3 years and on 2nd Prius. I could be if I choose to. I simply think the cruise control is easier on the gas peddle than I am. If I get 39.1 or 44.5 I'm good with that. Slowing down in CA can be life threatening. NY, I don't know

But I agree, lot of folks getting to know hybrid differences.

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You definitely want to be smooth.

Some tips:
  • Use the Hybrid Trainer
    • You will learn when you can let off and reapply throttle to kick it over to electric
    • This also helps you keep track of how much charge you have
  • Maximize regen braking
    • Start slowing down sooner. Use the trainer to find the best brake regen zone. Keep it in the green.
  • Knowing your route and where you can coast
  • Knowing your traffic conditions
    • In stop and go traffic, I like to stay a little out of sync so I don't come to a complete stop if possible. I've always done this though.
  • Terrain is a factor
    • On my way to work I can easily average 50-52 based on the computer, but that same trip home is 60-64.

I prefer to briskly accelerate to my cruising speed then use throttle and terrain to stay there and maximize electric.

I try to not drive under the speed limit. I don't like to speed either.

First tank I averaged 41.5 calculated. I'm currently 3/4 through my second and the computer reads 48.5.

I haven't really used eco mode.

Short, cold trips will kill you though. I've had a couple 1 mile 18mpg trips.
Where can you see how much charge you have?
Sponsored