Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here is my guess / hope at why they have not come out with the AWD Maverick Hybrid.

They are not going to use the mechanical AWD train that is in the Escape Hybrid. Rather, they are developing a completely new electric motor drive for the rear.

This saves all the complexity of getting power from the front eCVT through a drive shaft and universal joints to the rear drive wheels. All you have to do is run some wires and put the electric motor(s) in the back. With the Hybrid battery under the floor there is less room for a drive shaft.

It could be a single motor with a differential or even better, a motor for each rear wheel.

The whole purpose of AWD is slippery conditions such as snow or mud. Under these conditions you don't need the full horsepower of an ICE engine. An electric motor can provide all the torque that is needed.
Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Escape seems to have solved the hybrid AWD problems

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here is my guess / hope at why they have not come out with the AWD Maverick Hybrid.

They are not going to use the mechanical AWD train that is in the Escape Hybrid. Rather, they are developing a completely new electric motor drive for the rear.

This saves all the complexity of getting power from the front eCVT through a drive shaft and universal joints to the rear drive wheels. All you have to do is run some wires and put the electric motor(s) in the back. With the Hybrid battery under the floor there is less room for a drive shaft.

It could be a single motor with a differential or even better, a motor for each rear wheel.

The whole purpose of AWD is slippery conditions such as snow or mud. Under these conditions you don't need the full horsepower of an ICE engine. An electric motor can provide all the torque that is needed.
I think Ford could use someone who thinks as you do.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've thought about something like this for retrofit on classic cars. Run one of those alternators that the 4x4 guys with onboard welders use(300-400 amp) and have a lil battery pack in there. You got yourself a hybrid. Could also work for 80s and 90s cool front drivers. Like Bonnevilles, GrandPrix, Sebrings, Probes, and such.
Ebay wheel hub motor $1600
Ford Maverick Electric rear drive for AWD Hybrid? s-l500

JohnHartshorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Toyota Sienna XSE - Mav Hybrid XLT LUX Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They will use the same method Toyota did for the AWD Sienna. The hybrid systems were originally developed together. The Sienna uses a 3rd electric motor on the rear axle.

Sponsored

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3, 1979 CJ5 360 3spd, 2015 prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Rav4 hybrid has a separate electric motor for rear axle also. I think this is a better solution for adding awd to hybrid drivetrains.

ford5

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150; 2018 Murano
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree with those saying a third electric motor for the rear axle is the way to go for hybrid AWD. Frustrated that Ford didn't offer this in the Maverick. If I get my 23 ordered hybrid I will be looking to trade when and if Ford comes out with this system

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Corsair (Lincoln Escape) PHEV (GT) already has a rear eAWD motor...

Also, what's wrong with using a mechanical AWD setup like Escape?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With the Hybrid battery under the floor there is less room for a drive shaft.
The Escape hybrid battery is under the floor too.

Basically there's nothing that necessarily precludes either implementation.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Corsair (Lincoln Escape) PHEV (GT) already has a rear eAWD motor...

Also, what's wrong with using a mechanical AWD setup like Escape?
The electric motor setup will allow it to keep the same MPG rating, the mechanical setup will not. It may not be a huge difference, but it may affect Ford's CAFE.

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The electric motor setup will allow it to keep the same MPG rating, the mechanical setup will not. It may not be a huge difference, but it may affect Ford's CAFE.
Not per 2020+ Escape FHEV FWD vs. AWD EPA ratings. The efficiency difference is the very definition of negligible.

Ford Maverick Electric rear drive for AWD Hybrid? 1668887494082

The Escape hybrid battery is under the floor too.

Basically there's nothing that necessarily precludes either implementation.
Specifically, it's in the floor under the right rear passenger's feet.

Ford Maverick Electric rear drive for AWD Hybrid? 1668887793708

Source: 2022-2022 Escape Hybrid Vehicle Emergency Response Guide - 9/2021

Maverick is in a similar location.

Ford Maverick Electric rear drive for AWD Hybrid? 1668888144962

Source: Maverick Hybrid Emergency Response Guide - 10/24/22

Last edited:

SuperDave71

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think an electric rear drive would be a poor choice. Times that it is really great to have, for example, driving on an interstate in the rain or snow, the battery capacity just won’t keep up. As it is the maverick in electric only mode doesn’t do much above 50mph. A second similar sized battery driving just the rear would be about useless.

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3, 1979 CJ5 360 3spd, 2015 prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not per 2020+ Escape FHEV FWD vs. AWD EPA ratings. The efficiency difference is the very definition of negligible.

1668887494082.png

Specifically, it's in the floor under the right rear passenger's feet.

1668887793708.png

Source: 2022-2022 Escape Hybrid Vehicle Emergency Response Guide - 9/2021

Maverick is in a similar location.

1668888144962.png

Source: Maverick Hybrid Emergency Response Guide - 10/24/22
Then the escape must never or hardly ever use the rear axle. By comparison the kia sportage hybrid and hyundai santa fe hybrid both see a roughly 3mpg drop from the mechanical awd. Rav4 is only awd in hybrid form so no way to compare there. But there is definitely a drop in mpg from mechanical awd. But you could also consider 3 mpg to be negligible, and i wouldnt disagree with you at the 40mpg range.

I have been researching the rav4 alot because it is my back up vehicle to the maverick.

By every account, i have found, the electric awd is every bit as capable as mechanical.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Automate

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Escape seems to have solved the hybrid AWD problems
The Hybrid Escape AWD design is from 2004/2005. Almost 20 years ago when the original compact Ranger was being built.

Just as there was a reason for the new Maverick Truck there are good reasons for a modern new (for Ford) rear wheel drive for the AWD Hybrid.

Ford has already said they want to "Electrify" all their vehicles.

OP
OP
Automate

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think an electric rear drive would be a poor choice. Times that it is really great to have, for example, driving on an interstate in the rain or snow, the battery capacity just won’t keep up. As it is the maverick in electric only mode doesn’t do much above 50mph. A second similar sized battery driving just the rear would be about useless.
You are thinking like the rear motor power can only come from the battery. The current Ford eCVT design can generate electrical power from the ICE as needed. This electrical power usually goes to the battery but it could also be directed to the rear motor.
Sponsored