Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Good Evening everybody i was just looking at my Ford pass app to schedule my first oil change. Im almost at 5k so i figure its time. The time remaining says 5500 miles. Can you go 10k per oilchange?? Thanks in advance for the info.
Sponsored

Old Man

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Several threads on this with lots of arguments. Modern engines with modern oils can go longer between changes with normal driving. I was watching a video of a Chevy engine engineer discussing new designs and saying oil types, timing, catch cans and other older technology doesn't apply to these engines. He said users should follow the change timing and oil type listed in the owners manual. But some will say change every 3,000 miles. Use different types. Change it yourself because you can't trust those idiot dealer or oil change shops to do it right. None of them are engine engineers so I ignore them. Last engine problem I had was 54 years ago in an F Stock 390 engine running at top speed for too long.

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Much better oil and much better filters. Small engines produce less blow by. Less contamination of the oil.

Remember, it's revolutions of the engine that matters. Not the tires. Modern small turbo engines aren't running constantly at 3500-4000rpm.

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Several threads on this with lots of arguments. Modern engines with modern oils can go longer between changes with normal driving. I was watching a video of a Chevy engine engineer discussing new designs and saying oil types, timing, catch cans and other older technology doesn't apply to these engines. He said users should follow the change timing and oil type listed in the owners manual. But some will say change every 3,000 miles. Use different types. Change it yourself because you can't trust those idiot dealer or oil change shops to do it right. None of them are engine engineers so I ignore them. Last engine problem I had was 54 years ago in an F Stock 390 engine running at top speed for too long.
Yeah I agree with what you're saying that no one really knows. My two cents is I can probably make it to 10K miles, but if it's a direct injection engine I will change it a little bit before that sends a little bit of gasoline can bypass and that causes more wear. Farm project on YouTube did an oil comparison where he had a little bit of gasoline to it and it showed that it cost more wear and tear. That being said I'm just some dude in the internet

Sponsored

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you have a Hybrid, you can go longer than that, based on total vehicle miles, because the ICE doesn't have near that many miles on it. Having your oil analyzed will prove this.
I agree with you. I always forget that you can get your oil analyzed at like 5K and not do a full drain just enough to fill that b bottle and they can tell you if you need to do an oil change or keep going to 10K

MinntoMich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S10, Renegade, Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The hybrid will run less and to my understanding it is not direct injection as the EcoBoost is. Given the plastic timing chain slides or tensioners on modern engines I'd be more prone to wanting clean oil in either. That being said an analysis might be a good thing but honestly I look at the oil to see how dark it is and smell for raw gasoline. For my area this changes by season as I get less milage out of an oil change due to colder temperatures, crankcase condensation and longer idle times.
I know that newer engines are good to go nearly right after startup but that logic seems to loose its sense when its -28 F or occasionally colder.

Long story short I change my oil at least twice as often as any manufacturer recommends.

EDIT... What is your driving style/commute like. That may affect my decision as frequent short trips are always harder on a car than highway miles.

Last edited:

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Good Evening everybody i was just looking at my Ford pass app to schedule my first oil change. Im almost at 5k so i figure its time. The time remaining says 5500 miles. Can you go 10k per oilchange?? Thanks in advance for the info.
Their are a ton of videos on this subject on YouTube and they all agree 5000 miles is the number with all the Ecoboost engines and I agree, I did my first at 3k to get the break-in oil out, from now on it's every 5k. A few exceptions if your leasing and don't expect to buy the vehicle or if you only keep a vehicle 3/4 years and sell them.
But don't go over 10k if you want to keep your warranty and save your receipts, seen so many people with blown engines not get covered by warranty because they didn't change their oil because they were leasing or said they weren't keeping the vehicle long. Dealers aren't stupid and would love to stick it to you if you don't follow the manufacturers recommendations at bare minimum.

Exranger

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 EB FX4 4K Tow LAR LUX Area 51 RCVD 4/27/23
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Lots of opinions here...mine is change it now and get the break in oil out. Then your judgement from there. I’ll change mine @3000 for the first time. I’ve done lower before like 1500 miles on a new car. 3k seems right for this EB Mav. Oil type, filter brand and change interval, lots there to discuss. I recommend get full synthetic it’s a little more.

Sponsored

Jim Walker

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC, Mazda, Bmw
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Had my oil changed at 3000 mi. Got home and looked at slip and seen they used motor craft blend, figured it should have been synthetic, got owners manual out, says for 2.0 EB,5-30 syn blend and 2.5 synthetic 0-20. . I’m fine with blend, little of both worlds, since shooting for 5000 mi changes

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Had my oil changed at 3000 mi. Got home and looked at slip and seen they used motor craft blend, figured it should have been synthetic, got owners manual out, says for 2.0 EB,5-30 syn blend and 2.5 synthetic 0-20. . I’m fine with blend, little of both worlds, since shooting for 5000 mi changes
You won't go wrong with it. 5k is the best interval IMO. At 5k blend vs full syn will never matter.
Sponsored