First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
My Lariat is roughly five month old and has 1,549 miles; @913 miles the oil had been changed by the dealer two month ego with full synthetic oil. On the instrument panel, the oil life indicator shows this:

Ford Maverick Oil life indicator... oil life

Provided that the dealer changed the oil and reset the life indicator, it should not be showing 80% life remaining for two month. Even if the system counts down the one year reminder for oil change, it should be around 15%. If the dealer did not reset the life indicator, the life indicator is still not correct, would be around 7,500 miles when the indicator ask for an oil change, provided the one year limit did not pass yet.

I doubt that the dealer did not change oil, especially after all of the complaint I had with their work previously. Plus, the OEM oil has a die added to detect leaks, at least to my knowledge. Knowing the my Chachkie had been assembled in Mexico, it's probably a red die... ;)

What's your take on the oil life indicator and the described circumstances above?

Thx...
Sponsored

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It doesn't just use mileage or time for the percentage remaining. It uses your actual driving habits as well. Hard acceleration, if it can tell you were towing or at a high RPM for extended periods, etc.... Don't know if the dealer reset it or not, but you should just ensure it says 100% next time you get it changed. If they don't reset it, do it yourself.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I do a lot of stop n go city. Mine drops at an alarming rate till I figured out its the oil life algorithm

OP
OP
Skyline

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
Yes, I did see what Ford stated about how the oil life indicator is calculated by the system. It just does not seem to do it in this case, but I could be wrong.

The tachometer seldom reaches even 2,000 RPM, much less for extended period of time. My acceleration is rather on the slow side 90% of the times, with 1,200 -1,500 RPM. It's an atypical grandpa' driving style. Nor do I or did I tow anything, it's doubtful that adding my bike rack to the hitch the system would count it as towing.

I'll just take it to my regular repair shop in the fall in couple of month and check the color of the oil. The engine will have roughly 2,500 miles by then and will reset the oil life indicator and pay attention to how the oil life indicator works then....

OP
OP
Skyline

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
I do a lot of stop n go city. Mine drops at an alarming rate till I figured out its the oil life algorithm
So, let me get something straight... the "stop n go city", hard acceleration and high RPM for extended period of time they all quickly drop the oil life remaining. In another word, as soon as one pushes the start button, or turns the key, the counter spinning backward rather fast. Throw in towing and the oil life algorithm will really shine. Got it.... 😏

Sponsored

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, I did see what Ford stated about how the oil life indicator is calculated by the system. It just does not seem to do it in this case, but I could be wrong.

The tachometer seldom reaches even 2,000 RPM, much less for extended period of time. My acceleration is rather on the slow side 90% of the times, with 1,200 -1,500 RPM. It's an atypical grandpa' driving style. Nor do I or did I tow anything, it's doubtful that adding my bike rack to the hitch the system would count it as towing.

I'll just take it to my regular repair shop in the fall in couple of month and check the color of the oil. The engine will have roughly 2,500 miles by then and will reset the oil life indicator and pay attention to how the oil life indicator works then....
Sounds like you never warm the engine up enough and the oil life algorithm is taking that into account. Fuel dilution in the oil.

OP
OP
Skyline

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
Sounds like you never warm the engine up enough and the oil life algorithm is taking that into account. Fuel dilution in the oil.
I would tell you that is not the case, but you would say then, that I warm it up too long. :confused: Kidding aside... The fuel dilution into the oil will take place even when the engine started remotely.

FYI... I did add the VSS to my Lariat, mainly for starting it up prior to leaving the house. By now, I like the perimeter security function too, it works well...

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would tell you that is not the case, but you would say then, that I warm it up too long. :confused: Kidding aside... The fuel dilution into the oil will take place even when the engine started remotely.

FYI... I did add the VSS to my Lariat, mainly for starting it up prior to leaving the house. By now, I like the perimeter security function too, it works well...
How long do you idle the engine when you remote start? That could affect the oil life indicator.

I'm retired and don't drive a commute anymore. I plan on doing a 5,000 mile oil change interval. Or a once a year oil change if I don't hit that mark in twelve months.

I'm not going to overly worry about what the oil life indicator say's I need to do.

OP
OP
Skyline

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
How long do you idle the engine when you remote start? That could affect the oil life indicator.
I knew this question was coming.... 😂 and to answer your question....

It depends on a number of things, like engine temperature, season, how I feel ;), etc., but never an extended time period. That's just wasted fuel in my view.

In my OP, my question was about the accuracy of the oil life indicator based on the mileage posted. @Hillbilly reply pretty much nailed it, the oil life algorithm is flawed. It's not like I'll pay lot of attention to this indicator, never did, prefer scheduling oil changes based on mileage and time. The time used to be every six month, but since I drive less and the synthetic oil last longer, I changed to one year. Just to show how much I drive nowadays, my F150 from '98 had 75K miles on it, when sold it in this February. My Chachkie may get 3 - 4K miles a year, if that, once a year oil change is fine. Expect this year, where I'll change it again in the fall, mainly due to lack of trust in the oil change that the dealer did in May....

K5Blazer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For what it’s worth;
A traveling Ford rep told me that the engine has a viscosity sensor which gauges oil life.

Sponsored

22XLThybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT hybrid (order July 21)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Out of habit after an oil change, i check to see if it's been reset and pull the dipstick for level and condition (I know what it looked like before it went in). Doesn't matter how good the garage/dealer is, the master mechanics are generally not doing the oil changes and humans can make errors. It's a final check and piece of mind in the oil change/reset routine.

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My Lariat is roughly five month old and has 1,549 miles; @913 miles the oil had been changed by the dealer two month ego with full synthetic oil. On the instrument panel, the oil life indicator shows this:

oil life.jpg

Provided that the dealer changed the oil and reset the life indicator, it should not be showing 80% life remaining for two month. Even if the system counts down the one year reminder for oil change, it should be around 15%. If the dealer did not reset the life indicator, the life indicator is still not correct, would be around 7,500 miles when the indicator ask for an oil change, provided the one year limit did not pass yet.

I doubt that the dealer did not change oil, especially after all of the complaint I had with their work previously. Plus, the OEM oil has a die added to detect leaks, at least to my knowledge. Knowing the my Chachkie had been assembled in Mexico, it's probably a red die... ;)

What's your take on the oil life indicator and the described circumstances above?

Thx...
Curious why you changed the oil at 900 miles since the factory recommends 5000 miles?

OP
OP
Skyline

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
Curious why you changed the oil at 900 miles since the factory recommends 5000 miles?
In my view, the 900 or so miles are more than sufficient for the break in period. Especially with today's engine where to my knowledge, there's nothing special in the oil. Well, other than maybe some colored die...

Flight Test

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvettes
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Oil life monitors track climate, driving habits and other conditions. The algorithm calculates mileage, idle time, engine temperatures, trip times, engine loads, and ignition starts and stops. It then establishes an oil change interval as low as 3,000 miles (4,800 km) and all the way up to 10,000 miles (16,000 km) and more depending on severity of conditions.

Old Ford Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid Lariat ; 2016 Linc Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

i have no idea of the OP's age but people of my generation and others(69yrs young here) believe in a very early(perhaps even premature to some) 1st oil change. i know that 'modern' engines & synthetic oils may mitigate the contamination and oil/additive degradation but i'm still a big fanboi for doing that 1st oil change somewhere between 1k & 2 k miles. IMHO its a good thing for ANY new vehicle you intend to seriously maintain for the long term. i also like to wait until the 2nd oil change 5kmi down the road to rotate the tires and then do oil changes and tire rotation every 5kmi or 1 year, whichever comes 1st after that.
Sponsored