John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

First one was after 1k miles to remove all the glitter from break in. Then once every 3 months.

Like I said when the manufacturer says you can, doesn't mean you should.
The oil life monitor isn't nothing more than a time distance calculator. It does not analyze the oil.
Just because you are superstitious and have an out-dated paradigm does not mean the rest of the general population should also.

And you are wrong.
The hybrid oil change calculator is more than a time & distance calculator. It also counts gallons of fuel burned, since the burning of gasoline is the main way the oil gets polluted. I am with you that a Turbo-charged engine should get more frequent oil changes than the hybrid.

Baloo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4 Lux Ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Just because you are superstitious and have an out-dated paradigm does not mean the rest of the general population should also.

And you are wrong.
The hybrid oil change calculator is more than a time & distance calculator. It also counts gallons of fuel burned, since the burning of gasoline is the main way the oil gets polluted. I am with you that a Turbo-charged engine should get more frequent oil changes than the hybrid.
Outdated, how?

yamahaSHO

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 07 Jeep CRD, 04 S2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

And you are wrong.
You're exactly right, the general population should follow instructions due to [in]competency in said subject. That won't get you the best results, but it definitely will take you to warranty.

The oil change indicator has more to do with engine run time, temperatures, and mileage (and time). Short run times (short trips) in 2k miles will be harder on oil than running the vehicle for 10k miles straight and never turning it off. Fuel quantity burn does not account here.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You're exactly right, the general population should follow instructions due to [in]competency in said subject. That won't get you the best results, but it definitely will take you to warranty.

The oil change indicator has more to do with engine run time, temperatures, and mileage (and time). Short run times (short trips) in 2k miles will be harder on oil than running the vehicle for 10k miles straight and never turning it off. Fuel quantity burn does not account here.
It's A+B+C+D+E+F.

F being quantity of fuel burned.

In short, the little notice in the dash is smarter than you are (when it comes to oil).
No offense.

This isn't a Race Car.
This isn't a Tractor.
This isn't your father's Oldsmobile.

yamahaSHO

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 07 Jeep CRD, 04 S2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's A+B+C+D+E+F.

F being quantity of fuel burned.

In short, the little notice in the dash is smarter than you are (when it comes to oil).
No offense.

This isn't a Race Car.
This isn't a Tractor.
This isn't your father's Oldsmobile.
That's not quite how it works. And I have a race car and tractor and I take all the same things into consideration when changing oil on those too.

I love when people say you have to change oil before and after a track day. My oil samples got me to 9 track days. (plus a few AutoX's and street miles)... And the oil was still good.

My father does not have an Oldsmobile, but if he did, he'd do the same as me. Considering he was an F-4 and F-16 crew chief, then F-4 and F-16 pilot, you learn a little bit about how to keep mechanical things running. First thing he did when he landed an F-16 at a base I was stationed at, he had the crew chief sample his oil.

I actually do performance automotive for a living and work with a few friends in OEM. The dash is a dummy device (reference the sample I posted in this thread). Go ahead, follow the manual. ;)

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Testing the oil is a great way to do things, no doubt. I did that in the past. When I got many good (clean) results back, I extended the miles between changes.

Illogical to throw away perfectly suitable oil.

Last edited:

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Testing the oil is a great way to do things, no doubt. I did that in the past. When I got many good (clean) results back, I extended the miles between changes.

Illogical to throw away perfectly good oil.
"Perfectly good" is new oil.

You are throwing away used oil.

/thread.

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Wow...

I have 5300 on my truck and I have had 3 oil changes since delivery on 26 Nov 2022.

Some of you will be complaining in the future with the lack of basic maintenance you failed to perform.

Old saying, just cause you can doesn't mean you should.
I agree if your waiting 10k to change your oil don't expect that vehicle to last, especially a EcoBoost engine. My first oil change was at 3k and coming up to 8k will change it again.
If your a low mileage driver get it changed every year, I used to get a company car so only drove 3k on my personal truck, in NY we have to get a yearly inspection so it was a good reminder to change the oil and get the inspection. The mechanics mostly kids to me anyone under 40 is a kid used to ask me for my old oil it was so clean. Never go over 5k or one year on a oil change you will be very SORRY...

Sponsored

Tailender

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 F-250, 2011 Rogue, 2012 Jeep Liberty
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

🍿 yyaayyy! I love a good show!

Shelbyv8

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Grand Caravan, 2002 Ranger xlt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Back in the 50's when oil changes were at 3000 miles or 90 days engines had to be overhauled between 30,000 and 50,000 miles. With today's computer controlled milling and boring machines and better medalourgy ond lubricants oil changes can extend to 10,000 miles or 1 year. That is a fact not a guess, I have driven every vehicle I have owned 10,000 miles or 1 year between oil changes unless the monitor called for an oil change. I have been doing that for about 15 years, Put about 100k an every one of them no oil related break downs or oil consumption. Synthetic oil only not even blends.

georgeb

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
direct injections is more likely to push fuel vapors past the rings

direct injection ruins oil quality faster

turbos have oil passing through them

turbos cook the oil faster

the combo means that even after a few thousand miles an ecoboost oil will stink like fuel and look super dark.

id say about 5k for Ecoboost interval - but you could stretch it if the bulk of your driving is highway and you dont use many boosts.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hybrid:

Normal / Light duty / Easy Going / 50 mph and under trips / 44 to 47 MPG tanks. 104 to 120 miles per 1% of oil life deducted. [10,400 to 12,000 OCI]

Heavy (I mean really heavy) duty towing with also 750 lbs. in the truck. Mountain grades. Speeds 55 to 65 mph. 88% oil life deducted in 5356 miles in 20 days. 18 MPG. 60 miles per 1% of oil life deducted. [6,000 mile OCI]

So it's not simply timer.
So it's not simply an odometer.
So it's not an either / or.
It's not measuring miles or months whichever comes first.
It's more sophisticated.
I used 100% of my calculated oil life in 5 weeks and 6600 miles. 88% highway miles while towing. 12% city not towing.
(huge vacation)

Dslaughterbeck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Guess all the others who reported the same are liars and they didn't see it either.

You're a funny little man.
Ya I guess if you belittle him he will stop. Poor OLD MAN.
Sponsored