First oil change on Hybrid

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
I'm planning a 3,800-mile round trip to Kentucky/Kansas to visit relatives and spend some money. The Maverick has 1539 miles as of today and the oil monitor said I had 75% oil integrity left, so I decided to change the oil with something I have been using for decades and has never left me down. I have included some pictures for the non-street mechanic nubies.

The real purpose of my post is to ask anybody familiar with this white plastic piece in the second photo. It was laying on the fiber splash guard when I dropped it to change oil. My thoughts are it's a piece of production trash, but I want to make sure.

One note - Every one of the Torx 30 screws holding the splash guard were only hand tight and I could remove all with the socket and my fingers.

Ford Maverick First oil change on Hybrid IMG_2071.JPG
Ford Maverick First oil change on Hybrid IMG_2069.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Isn't that the Fetzer Valve? :)

Pop2020

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Funny....I've got that same blue funnel. Glad to know it fits the Mav's oil fill spot.

Sponsored

OP
OP

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wait until 15% or less before I change the oil, because that is what the car and dealer recommend. 🤷🏼‍♂️ My old neighbor changed his oil on his car every 3,000 miles, because he was old and cars in his day needed it that often. He didn’t realize modern oil change intervals have increased with advancements in engines and oils.

Sponsored

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm planning a 3,800-mile round trip to Kentucky/Kansas to visit relatives and spend some money. The Maverick has 1539 miles as of today and the oil monitor said I had 75% oil integrity left, so I decided to change the oil with something I have been using for decades and has never left me down. I have included some pictures for the non-street mechanic nubies.

The real purpose of my post is to ask anybody familiar with this white plastic piece in the second photo. It was laying on the fiber splash guard when I dropped it to change oil. My thoughts are it's a piece of production trash, but I want to make sure.

One note - Every one of the Torx 30 screws holding the splash guard were only hand tight and I could remove all with the socket and my fingers.

IMG_2071.JPG
IMG_2069.JPG
How did the oil look? Mine was pretty opaque at 2000 miles with what seemed like a lot of metallic particles suspended. It had about 40 miles on it when delivered, was wondering if they ran it hard at Hermosillo as a tester before shipping.

Cheers.

OP
OP

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did the oil look? Mine was pretty opaque at 2000 miles with what seemed like a lot of metallic particles suspended. It had about 40 miles on it when delivered, was wondering if they ran it hard at Hermosillo as a tester before shipping.

Cheers.
The oil looked almost as good as the new oil. I used a new oil drain pan and no metal particles that I could see with my eyes. I started to peel open the filter, but what's the point, my Maverick is here to stay?

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The oil looked almost as good as the new oil. I used a new oil drain pan and no metal particles that I could see with my eyes. I started to peel open the filter, but what's the point, my Maverick is here to stay?
That's good (y). Makes me wonder about mine though :cautious:.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wait until 15% or less before I change the oil, because that is what the car and dealer recommend. 🤷🏼‍♂️ My old neighbor changed his oil on his car every 3,000 miles, because he was old and cars in his day needed it that often. He didn’t realize modern oil change intervals have increased with advancements in engines and oils.
While true, keep in mind the factory oil filter is much smaller then the recommended filter. I plan on changing mine at 4k miles for my first oil change then 7-8k miles after that.

OP
OP

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While true, keep in mind the factory oil filter is much smaller then the recommended filter. I plan on changing mine at 4k miles for my first oil change then 7-8k miles after that.
I was wondering about the size of the factory filter. My lawn tractor has a larger filter. Is it a cost saving filter or is there something special about the design?

Also, with the Fram 3614 filter, you can pour the whole 6 quarts of oil instead of the 5.7 recommended.
Sponsored

Last edited: