First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm planning a 3,800-mile round trip to Kentucky/Kansas to visit relatives and spend some money. The Maverick has 1539 miles as of today and the oil monitor said I had 75% oil integrity left, so I decided to change the oil with something I have been using for decades and has never left me down. I have included some pictures for the non-street mechanic nubies.

The real purpose of my post is to ask anybody familiar with this white plastic piece in the second photo. It was laying on the fiber splash guard when I dropped it to change oil. My thoughts are it's a piece of production trash, but I want to make sure.

One note - Every one of the Torx 30 screws holding the splash guard were only hand tight and I could remove all with the socket and my fingers.

IMG_2071.JPG
IMG_2069.JPG
That's the cap to the blinker fluid reservoir.
Sponsored

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good to get the break-in oil out somewhere between 500-3,000 miles, just to get rid of extra iron and aluminum particles wearing off the new surfaces.
Nice choice of a Fram Ultra XG3614. I prefer a Fram Ultra XG3600 cuz it's bigger, fits nice.

KimoCarew

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus ES 300H
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

MauRoba

Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
And I’m going to need about 10 quarts of anti freeze, preferably Prestone. No, make that Quaker State

Sponsored

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This thread is worth following for the Fletch lines alone (the oil change info is a bonus)!!

OP
OP

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
Good to get the break-in oil out somewhere between 500-3,000 miles, just to get rid of extra iron and aluminum particles wearing off the new surfaces.
Nice choice of a Fram Ultra XG3614. I prefer a Fram Ultra XG3600 cuz it's bigger, fits nice.
Good to know. May switch over.

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What did you use to remove the OEM Original filter?
YOBY used the "right" tool for the job, something like a 76 mm 14 flute oil filter cap end wrench. which is the correct size.
I do think Channellock 460 pliers works very well. It damages the old filter you're taking off, yet this works. I hand-tighten the new oil filter (no tool).

OP
OP

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
What did you use to remove the OEM Original filter?
The same wrench that fits the Fram 3614. The Fram 3614 is widely used on Ford Vehicles.

Sponsored

crashdumie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
unknown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
the last two Ford Hybrids i owned, a 2011 Fusion and 2020 Escape, went almost 10,000 miles between oil light coming on. so i would assume the Maverick has a 10,000 mile oil life as well.

Last edited:

bradFORD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, I have over 2,000 miles on my hybrid now. I have still have 88% oil life on it but maintenance shows at 10,000 miles. Planning to change oil and rotate tires around 7,500 on it.

Phileaux

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge SEL fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Next O.C. switch to a magnetic drain plug for (most) metal particles.

Mr.Roboto.1975

First Name
Stoned Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Merc Mariner hybrid, 04 Silv 3500, 87 F-700
Full synthetic should not be used in a new engine. It interferes with piston ring seating. While modern engines have VERY tight tolerances (I used to work on the engine line for Ford) there is still break in required. Ford's recommended oil is only a semi-synthetic, i.e. conventional oil with a little synthetic in it.

Pop2020

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Full synthetic should not be used in a new engine. It interferes with piston ring seating. While modern engines have VERY tight tolerances (I used to work on the engine line for Ford) there is still break in required. Ford's recommended oil is only a semi-synthetic, i.e. conventional oil with a little synthetic in it.
Interesting. I see in the specs that it says "synthetic blend" but I've noticed as of late that it's more difficult to find anything but full synthetic. Before I got rid of my '97 Camry I used full synthetic the last couple of oil changes because even Walmart didn't carry much "dino oil" any more.

So are you saying just on the first/early oil changes you think a blend should be used?

Side note: I've been using Supertech motor oil 90% or more of the time for the last twenty years and never had an engine problem. That old '90s era Consumer Report test on motor oils and NYC taxis convinced me that as long as the SAE approval is there, the benefits of a Mobile 1/brand name over SuperTech or other "house brands" is negligible and the only thing I'm paying for is marketing and benefits that will never be of any advantage in my driving. May make a big difference in somebody's lab, however, but my Maverick operates in the real world and not in lab conditions.
Sponsored