First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I haven't driven my new EcoBoost very much (still on the dealer's first fill), so I drove down from the mountains today in Eco mode with the average mpg reset to get an idea of mpg. For a while I thought maybe I bought a hybrid or the mpg calculation was haywire, lol. Guessing it got that high due to driving downhill on the freeway right after I set the mpg counter. The average mpg settled back to 27+ after I drove back uphill. Hoping the bed cover and 91 octane will get me closer to 30.
Ford Maverick My 93 Octane Experiment! 2.0L EcoBoost Maverick InShot_20240312_202039755
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bob The Builder

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I haven't driven my new EcoBoost very much (still on the dealer's first fill), so I drove down from the mountains today in Eco mode with the average mpg reset to get an idea of mpg. For a while I thought maybe I bought a hybrid or the mpg calculation was haywire, lol. Guessing it got that high due to driving downhill on the freeway right after I set the mpg counter. The average mpg settled back to 27+ after I drove back uphill. Hoping the bed cover and 91 octane will get me closer to 30.
InShot_20240312_202039755.jpg
I saw 30 mpg consistently on interstate driving, 22 consistently in stop and go in city type driving on 87 Octane. Should improve a bit with 91. Some say 2-3 mpg. We'll see. I say "city type driving" as we really do not have large cities up here, mostly small towns with 2 or 3 stop lights. LOL.

Not sure what the bed cover has done for me as I installed it within minutes of bringing my truck home from the dealership.

OP
OP
Bob The Builder

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I make the same trip a few times a month. About 60 miles or so round trip. Today was the first time while burning 91 Octane. Usually got around 31 mpg or so with 87. Today much better. The truck seems smoother, far less vibration when I slow down passing though 35 MPH towns and better throttle response. Very pleased.
Ford Maverick My 93 Octane Experiment! 2.0L EcoBoost Maverick mpg.JPG

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I only use 88e15, it’s 30 cents a gallon cheaper and I’ve found that I actually get lower knock counts on it then on 89e0

Some people even run 90e20 if you have a pump with cheap e85 or a blender pump you can blend your own octane, saves tons of money and no notable loss in fuel economy on e15

In my area the cost to drive a Maverick on Premium gas is the same as driving my 2001 Dodge Ram crewcab v8 on regular, why would anyone in their right mind spend 50%-60% more on fuel?

If I had an ecobust it would be running on a $2/gal e-blend of fuel and I would adjust octane up when I’m towing or in hot weather
IMG_5074.jpeg
When was this picture taken? Because the 87 is much lower than it should be currently, if you can get it at that price, buy all you can. I'm wondering if the person who changes the prices on the pumps goofed, at the least the 87 should be 2.99.

vinnymac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was criticized for stating this in another thread but I'll say it again.

I don't care if you put rabbit piss, orange juice, or straight-up sugar in your truck's gas tank. I choose to use 93. You do what you guys want to do.

When I picked it up from the dealer, they graciously included a full tank of (87) gas. On the way home, it buzzed and lugged real bad around 1100-1400 RPMs and once I filled it up with 93, that all went away. It seemed to run smoother and I like the extra power that I get. You may think I'm totally crazy and insane but it's my choice. Also, even in Ford's specs sheet, it says the power claims are based on using 93. So I do.
Your not crazy I’m doing the same thing ran out the 87 dealer filled up and has had nothing but 93!!! Runs great just put a K&N hiflo filter in. will see if I feel a little xtra kick👍

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I hate spending money. I am cheapish as hell. OK, got that out of the way right off. :ROFLMAO:

Prolly the one thing and really only thing that has bugged me about my Maverick has been the low RPM vibration we have noticed with the truck. Cruising around 30 or so there are times the RPM will drop to around 1200 or so and a slight vibration and or engine lugging will be evident. Even Consumer Reports mentioned it in one of their reviews of the 2.0 EcoBoost so not just me.

"The nonhybrid Maverick pickup trucks use an optional 250-hp turbo four-cylinder mated to an eight-speed automatic, with front- or all-wheel drive. This powertrain gives robust acceleration, can tow up to 4,000 pounds, and gets 23 mpg overall, but its tendency to lug along at low revs sends annoying vibrations into the cabin.

Someone here mentioned using a higher octane gas to help alleviate the situation, so I waited until the low fuel light came on an filled the truck with 93 octane gas. Ouch!! $1.40 more a gallon for that over 87. Expensive fill up, but will it be worth it or did I just blow 20 bucks extra for gas I do not need?

After burning through 3/4 of a tank I am very pleased with the results. The so called vibration is, I would say, 90% gone if not more. Power has increased noticeably. Still monitoring gas mileage but I would guess that will increase a bit too.

Next tankful, 91 Octane to see if I get similar results and save 40 cents a gallon as well. Given how little I drive, even the 93 octane will be worth the extra money given the results I have seen so far.
Try it in "sport" mode. That will keep the ram's up and it won't lug.

Greendesert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ritesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra GT '14 CRV Hybrid '22 Maverick Hybrid 2024
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't have Eco but I think the Hybrid Atkinson engine uses higher compression "ratio" and it might perform better on 93?!

OP
OP
Bob The Builder

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Try it in "sport" mode. That will keep the ram's up and it won't lug.
No Sport mode, it's an FX/4. Can't say I am a big fan of Sport mode. We have it on the Jeep and tried it once.

rmay635703

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru 360, Comutacar, Honda Insight, Dodge Ram
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When was this picture taken? Because the 87 is much lower than it should be currently, if you can get it at that price, buy all you can. I'm wondering if the person who changes the prices on the pumps goofed, at the least the 87 should be 2.99.
If the price has gone up that much on e10 since I last filled
I will just buy 88 octane which is still $2.79
Ford Maverick My 93 Octane Experiment! 2.0L EcoBoost Maverick IMG_5089

Atlasmetmav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Mustang GT, 24 Mav Atlas AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

87 here, no lugging🤷🏻‍♂️
How is it possible that so many EB are having this "Low RPM" issue (knocking/Pinging/Slugging) but Charles is not? I am very concerned about the long term affects that this issue may cause? My EB XLT is still very new with only 800 miles, but I can clearly tell that there is an issue at low RPM on 87 octane, in "Normal" or "Economy" modes. I have not yet tried a higher octane, but plan to do so on the next fill up. "Sport Mode" solves the issue, but unfortunately raises the RPM by 1K RPM, which seems to be a bit overkill. Typically I feel the issue when I am cruising along and the EB drops below 1500 RPM's. It likes to setting down as low as 1250 RPM during a flat road cruise and then the issue is very noticeable. I would suggest to Ford, that they have a setting/mode to raise this low RPM up 200 RPM's, and much of this could be solved. When the EB is over 1500 RPM's, all seems well. Outside of this one issue, I love the truck. Thanks every one for sharing.

Sponsored

BillyRay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Thunderbird, 2023 Honda CV-R Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can people please state what altitude they live/or mostly driving at?

Altitude has a huge effect on this. And these "expirements" mean mostly nothing without this factor included.

I live at 6000 feet and 87 octane is more than adequate for the ecoboost at this elevation.
At the altitude you should use High-Test gas.

yamahaSHO

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 07 Jeep CRD, 04 S2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How is it possible that so many EB are having this "Low RPM" issue (knocking/Pinging/Slugging) but Charles is not? I am very concerned about the long term affects that this issue may cause? My EB XLT is still very new with only 800 miles, but I can clearly tell that there is an issue at low RPM on 87 octane, in "Normal" or "Economy" modes. I have not yet tried a higher octane, but plan to do so on the next fill up. "Sport Mode" solves the issue, but unfortunately raises the RPM by 1K RPM, which seems to be a bit overkill. Typically I feel the issue when I am cruising along and the EB drops below 1500 RPM's. It likes to setting down as low as 1250 RPM during a flat road cruise and then the issue is very noticeable. I would suggest to Ford, that they have a setting/mode to raise this low RPM up 200 RPM's, and much of this could be solved. When the EB is over 1500 RPM's, all seems well. Outside of this one issue, I love the truck. Thanks every one for sharing.

A lot of people are pretty oblivious to this stuff. Not a knock, but it's true. Hell, I'll make a minor change to a map that doesn't affect the way a car runs, but the customer will come back and say that the new revision "runs so much smoother" or the like. No, it doesn't, I only changed your cranking RPM (example).

imboden013

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don’t notice it that much as 90% of my driving is highway, I run 87 and only occasionally notice the lugging( I’ve not noticed any engine ping). Lugging is exactly what it is on my Mav the transmission is in too high a gear for the rpm’s and speed of the truck. Reminds me when I drove a standard and was too lazy and either skipped a gear or didn’t down shift at times. Ford could reprogram the shift pattern of the transmission so that it up shifts a little later and downshifts a little sooner. Probably about 200RPM change in shift programming would fix the problem. Trying to maximize mpg, ford just cut it maybe a bit too close.

OP
OP
Bob The Builder

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As I have previously stated in this thread, higher octane basically solves the problem. I still detect a bit of lugging and or vibration but nothing like it was. Maybe 90% gone.

We have about half a dozen Valero gas stations in my immediate area that sells 91 Ethanol free gas. This stuff literally makes a huge difference in the 2.0. Besides the 90% reduction in lugging, I am getting noticeably more power and around 15% better gas milage measured over two tankfuls. The gas costs 20% more but with the 15% mileage offset it only costs me a couple of bucks extra at fill up. Absolutely worth it.

It has always puzzled me as well why some just do not seem to have the lugging issue or just do not notice it. Everyone is different.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can use tow/haul mode, higher rpm, but not crazy like sport mode, try it & see if you like it.
Sponsored