First Name
Brigham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Cactus Grey XLT EB AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Has anyone else had issues with terrible shifts at low speed?
I had a 2023 FWD XLT with the Ecoboost, and I loved it so much, I decided to upgrade to a 2024 AWD Max tow XLT. The 2023 FWD was pretty much flawless, and I saw no issues for the 10k miles I had it. I thought it would be nice to have the AWD, and maybe a bit more tow capacity, and I got a good price. I am now seriously regretting "upgrading".

The new truck (AWD Max tow) has developed an odd shifting behavior, and I'm still below 2k miles. It always felt a little reluctant to shift, but lately I'm noticing it jump/clunk around as it hunts for the second or third gear. This happens almost every time I start driving it from cold now. Sluggish or even shaky/"missed" shifts until about 35 MPH, and then no issues. I can't tell if it's transmission or RDU/PTU related, but I'm pretty disappointed. My local service center told me they can't give me a loaner until they know it's "not drivable", and that I'd have to drop it off now and wait approximately 2 weeks before they can even look at it. I'm not eager to be without the vehicle for 2 weeks only to have them not replicate/agree on an issue. I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen, if it's an AWD or Max tow thing, or if I'm just crazy. Used to be so exited about the Maverick, now I'm a bit less enthusiastic.
Sponsored

OrCoaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 VW Caddy and 96 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would try punching that L button on the shift knob for a week in those low mph speeds and kick it out after it hits 35-40. Just to see if that helps or aggravates your symptoms.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No need to "drop it off now and wait 2 weeks to have someone look at it."

Make an appointment 2 weeks from now and drop it off then.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Zero issues with my MY22 AWD 4K tow. So far it’s been solid as a rock, smooth as butter. No complaints

Sponsored

BillBilly

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awd 2.0 2024
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just rolled 4k on a '24 awd, no issues, but it really does like the higher octane versus 87.

Sonicaceman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick, 2017 Focus ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had a 2023 FWD XLT with the Ecoboost, and I loved it so much, I decided to upgrade to a 2024 AWD Max tow XLT. The 2023 FWD was pretty much flawless, and I saw no issues for the 10k miles I had it. I thought it would be nice to have the AWD, and maybe a bit more tow capacity, and I got a good price. I am now seriously regretting "upgrading".

The new truck (AWD Max tow) has developed an odd shifting behavior, and I'm still below 2k miles. It always felt a little reluctant to shift, but lately I'm noticing it jump/clunk around as it hunts for the second or third gear. This happens almost every time I start driving it from cold now. Sluggish or even shaky/"missed" shifts until about 35 MPH, and then no issues. I can't tell if it's transmission or RDU/PTU related, but I'm pretty disappointed. My local service center told me they can't give me a loaner until they know it's "not drivable", and that I'd have to drop it off now and wait approximately 2 weeks before they can even look at it. I'm not eager to be without the vehicle for 2 weeks only to have them not replicate/agree on an issue. I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen, if it's an AWD or Max tow thing, or if I'm just crazy. Used to be so exited about the Maverick, now I'm a bit less enthusiastic.
I have a 24 I just got and it has 1200 miles on it. I too am experiencing strange shifting at low speeds and sluggishness. It is most noticeable when the r vehicle is cold also. It’s like the truck lugs and stays in too low of a gear. Btw I have an XLT AWD with 4k tow and FX4 package. I’ve been driving very conservative since the vehicle is new but this makes me a little nervous. I’m going in on 3rd and will ask the dealer and keep this updated.

BillBilly

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awd 2.0 2024
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
yeah I'm using 89. On 87 it drives like an 80s Toyota below 35mph. Not bad on the gear growl, much quieter on 89.

James K

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Wow, the clunking is concerning. Have you tried other modes? When I tow a landscape trailer with 2 motorcycles I don't use tow/haul on the flats so it doesn't hold gears as long. Hopefully yours might just need a flash. What ever it is I hope you get it corrected without too much difficulty. My 2.0 AWD w/ tow package is really a sweet tow vehicle for up to 4K.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided

Good afternoon! Could you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer so I can look into this shifting concern? Thank you!

OP
OP

ammondude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brigham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good afternoon! Could you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer so I can look into this shifting concern? Thank you!
Thank you, DM sent.

OP
OP

ammondude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brigham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow, the clunking is concerning. Have you tried other modes? When I tow a landscape trailer with 2 motorcycles I don't use tow/haul on the flats so it doesn't hold gears as long. Hopefully yours might just need a flash. What ever it is I hope you get it corrected without too much difficulty. My 2.0 AWD w/ tow package is really a sweet tow vehicle for up to 4K.
Thanks all for the replies. Will keep you posted when I learn more.
L does not help (actually makes it worse).
Sponsored