First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
explorer, mustang, soon a Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the same problem, dealer wont fix anything they can not replicate. Grabby brakes are horrible especially in bumper to bumper traffic here in NYC.
Sponsored

Pope

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic and Accord
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Been driving my hybrid since last May and I've been experiencing the brake grabbing issue, but it seems to happen randomly. I saw the TSB 22-2493, so I printed a copy of it and took my hybrid into the dealer and showed them the copy. After having the vehicle for two days, they told me today that since it's not throwing a code and since they aren't able to replicate the problem, they won't be able to fix it. FRUSTRATING!!
Just thought I'd share what I've done since I posted above. I got frustrated enough that I called Ford's helpline (800 392-3673) and explained the situation. The person I spoke with took down all my information and then told me he would be serving as my advocate. He said he will be reaching out to my dealer this afternoon to let them know they must fix the grabby brakes issue even though 1) it's not throwing a code, and 2) they aren't able to replicate the problem. He said he would also connect them with one of their technical staff in Dearborn MI if they need help in figuring out how to fix the issue. Finally, he said he would get back to me after he speaks with my dealer.

I'll post again after I hear back to let you all know how it turned out.

stretch119

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just thought I'd share what I've done since I posted above. I got frustrated enough that I called Ford's helpline (800 392-3673) and explained the situation. The person I spoke with took down all my information and then told me he would be serving as my advocate. He said he will be reaching out to my dealer this afternoon to let them know they must fix the grabby brakes issue even though 1) it's not throwing a code, and 2) they aren't able to replicate the problem. He said he would also connect them with one of their technical staff in Dearborn MI if they need help in figuring out how to fix the issue. Finally, he said he would get back to me after he speaks with my dealer.

My understanding is that thereā€™s a software update available to fix the grabby brake issue. Is your dealer unwilling to apply the software update?

I apologize if youā€™ve already answered my question in another post. I havenā€™t kept up with this thread.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD šŸ˜‰
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My understanding is that thereā€™s a software update available to fix the grabby brake issue. Is your dealer unwilling to apply the software update?

I apologize if youā€™ve already answered my question in another post. I havenā€™t kept up with this thread.
See 5 posts above yours...

Been driving my hybrid since last May and I've been experiencing the brake grabbing issue, but it seems to happen randomly. I saw the TSB 22-2493, so I printed a copy of it and took my hybrid into the dealer and showed them the copy. After having the vehicle for two days, they told me today that since it's not throwing a code and since they aren't able to replicate the problem, they won't be able to fix it. FRUSTRATING!!

Pope

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic and Accord
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

So here's the latest chapter on my grabby brakes saga. The person from the Ford helpline has arranged an appointment for me to bring my truck into my dealer again at 9am next Tuesday, for the technical support at Ford corporate to be available at that time to consult with my dealer, and for my dealer to provide me with a rental at no charge.

It's amazing how my dealer changed their attitude after being contacted by corporate. I'll post one more time next week to let you all know how it ended.

Sponsored

st3v

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have this grabby brakes issue too. Started recently. Just got my Maverick a month ago. I am also experiencing weird high frequency noises at 40mph. I just started a thread on this.

Randaddio

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Story Update: 12,000 miles '22 Hybrid
So I told my dealer about the TSB fix for the brake issue this thread is all about and he said bring it in, and he acknowledged this TSB existed, thank you. They put it right up, and after a couple of hours (they respected the fact I had to drive an hour to get there and had to wait for it), of reprogramming and some parts (their words, don't ask me what), it came down and he said if you still have problems bring it back.

Okay, after the fix the brakes do have a different character; it gets grabby but at lower speeds than before, like 3 or 4 mph as opposed to 4 to 5, both my own gut figures. And starting out in the rain, the same way it was, very grabby until I pump them and dry them out, same as before. After 12K miles I'm used to this brake behavior, I can feel the symptoms soon enough to react in time but the point is it's still happening, just not quite the same way it did.

Two oddities; before the update I had two or three instances where I gently applied brakes for a stop sign, and the brakes acted like the ABS had kicked in, like driving on a washboard and with the same sensation in the pedal, very disconcerting obviously. This was in dry weather, braking at way less than 10 mph, and I certainly wasn't hitting the brakes as if it was a panic stop. I've never seen this phenomenon mentioned on these forums but I haven't read all of them. I assumed this was related to the grabby brakes and that the TSB fix would eliminate that also. Nope. Only once, but I've had the fix only a month.

And here's another; I went for inspection and the guy tells me my brake rotors are showing a lot of wear, asks me how many miles do I have on this? 12,000. He shows me, no question, visibly deep grooves, but on the rear rotors only...?!

I'll be honest, I'm very disappointed in the truck, mostly because of Ford's intransigence on addressing the problem and that after the TSB fix I've still got the symptoms. Right, I'm sure I've saved money on gas but I traded in a 2013 Honda Fit that was getting 32 mph regularly. The truck started out with an admirable 44 average, but now its down to 36 to 38, driving the same streets and only one driver. With the markup I rashly paid the dealer I could have gotten a better truck, albeit not a hybrid.

Yup, buyer's remorse

Randall

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And here's another; I went for inspection and the guy tells me my brake rotors are showing a lot of wear, asks me how many miles do I have on this? 12,000. He shows me, no question, visibly deep grooves, but on the rear rotors only...?!
Brake pads/rotors on hybrids should last around 100,000 miles or more due to the regeneration system putting so little physical wear on the brakes. Something may be wrong with the rear brakes in your case.

I'll be honest, I'm very disappointed in the truck, mostly because of Ford's intransigence on addressing the problem and that after the TSB fix I've still got the symptoms. Right, I'm sure I've saved money on gas but I traded in a 2013 Honda Fit that was getting 32 mph regularly. The truck started out with an admirable 44 average, but now its down to 36 to 38, driving the same streets and only one driver. With the markup I rashly paid the dealer I could have gotten a better truck, albeit not a hybrid.
I'm around 11,600 and just over a year since I got my Hybrid Maverick and I've not noticed any drop in gas mileage at all. The dash claims 42.3 mpg over that time, while my "paper" calculations show 41.68 mpg. The last tank of fuel came out to 45.02 mpg, which is closer to the real-world city mileage I get. The only reason I dropped down to around 42 mpg overall was because of a couple of long road trips covering 3000 miles.

Randaddio

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Right. Both of your points confirm my dissatisfaction with the truck. The point of my post is to share my account of my TSB brake fix and the result, which is what this thread is all about.
But thanks for your input

djb_rh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do some googling on ā€œgasoline winter blendā€ and youā€™ll find that in some areas of the country the ethanol level changes between summer and winter and, in short, during the times youā€™re getting winter blend you are going to see a noticeable hit in mileage. Itā€™s way more noticeable in a vehicle like the Maverick since it gets such great mileage. Your drop in mileage jibes with mine, but also with the switch to winter blend in terms of timing. Iā€™m guessing itā€™s that and that youā€™ll see your mileage jump back up here soon.

Sponsored

Randaddio

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks, thatā€™s what the dealer said too, it just took me by surprise.
So another sign of spring to look forward to.

Randaddio

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Story Update: 12,000 miles '22 Hybrid
So I told my dealer about the TSB fix for the brake issue this thread is all about and he said bring it in, and he acknowledged this TSB existed, thank you. They put it right up, and after a couple of hours (they respected the fact I had to drive an hour to get there and had to wait for it), of reprogramming and some parts (their words, don't ask me what), it came down and he said if you still have problems bring it back.

Okay, after the fix the brakes do have a different character; it gets grabby but at lower speeds than before, like 3 or 4 mph as opposed to 4 to 5, both my own gut figures. And starting out in the rain, the same way it was, very grabby until I pump them and dry them out, same as before. After 12K miles I'm used to this brake behavior, I can feel the symptoms soon enough to react in time but the point is it's still happening, just not quite the same way it did.

Two oddities; before the update I had two or three instances where I gently applied brakes for a stop sign, and the brakes acted like the ABS had kicked in, like driving on a washboard and with the same sensation in the pedal, very disconcerting obviously. This was in dry weather, braking at way less than 10 mph, and I certainly wasn't hitting the brakes as if it was a panic stop. I've never seen this phenomenon mentioned on these forums but I haven't read all of them. I assumed this was related to the grabby brakes and that the TSB fix would eliminate that also. Nope. Only once, but I've had the fix only a month.

Yup, buyer's remorse

Randall
Update on above: after performing the first TSB actions and still having issues as I described above I called the dealer (who has been very responsive), and described my fix result and he says thereā€™s another TSB issued February 28th. I have an appointment to have this done for the 28th of March along with the recalled air bags and theyā€™re going to machine the brake rotors to fix the scoring. Stay tunedā€¦
I wanna be happy with my truck, everything else is dandy, but the brakes have really soured my experience so far, maybe this will workā€¦
Randall

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since my Maverick was already at the dealer for a warranty repair, I asked to have the TSB for the brakes done. While theyā€™ve been very nice and responsive since ordering it in 2021, they stated they were unable to reproduce it and saw zero error codes, therefore, they wouldnā€™t do the recommended PCM update. Iā€™ll try again when the airbags recall is done.

skyhawk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Airplanes motorcycles cars SUVs
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since my Maverick was already at the dealer for a warranty repair, I asked to have the TSB for the brakes done. While theyā€™ve been very nice and responsive since ordering it in 2021, they stated they were unable to reproduce it and saw zero error codes, therefore, they wouldnā€™t do the recommended PCM update. Iā€™ll try again when the airbags recall is done.
Ridiculous. The update does not fix a problem that would cause an error code. The update addresses a driver experience issue and you as the driver are the person best suited to determine that your driving experience has been lacking and could be improved with the update.

I would contact Ford or another dealer if you don't get anywhere

Last edited:

bill67

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Had maverick at dealership today for graping brakes.Last time in, install previous tsb and it didn't work. So they called ford and they told dealership to install electronic brake booster,which they ordered. So then tsb 23-2060 comes out. I set up another appointment and they install that tsb and that doesn't work.Told me they will call when brake booster comes in. I love it when a plan comes together.
Sponsored