Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have about 3,500 miles on my Maverick XL Hybrid and one issue that I have been monitoring is that the brake system seems to be intermittently grabby and abrupt at slow speeds of 0-3 mph.

This would be such as when rolling into a parking space or maneuvering a 3-point turn with light to medium pedal effort. Sometimes it also happens coming to a stop light or stop sign.

The electronic brake system snap engages creating the sensation of the brakes grabbing. It is not severe enough to lock the wheels, but creates a noticable jerk in your motion. You can feel it in the pedal and hear it at the firewall where the system's electronic brake motor is mounted (means it's not happening at the calipers and discs).

The issue is one that for me as one who test drives lots of different vehicles is on the feather edge of being a "characteristic of low grade refinement" in the system or "something I need to have my dealership inspect". It's annoying but not sure it rises to the level of "problem".

I recently however tested and 2022 Escape Hybrid and it did not exhibit this behavior which has me thinking that I may consider a dealership visit.

I'm keeping an eye on it and will be discussing it on an upcoming review update but I wanted to put this out there and poll the masses to see if anyone else with a hybrid is experiencing this.
Sponsored

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m experiencing the same.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I only have about 400 miles on my XLT hybrid. I've experienced this a few times (enough that I warned my wife about it) but there doesn't seem to be any consistency about when it happens.

mikedege

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FWIW, I have 1200 miles on my Hybrid and this has indeed happened to me 1 time.
btw, 1 is more than never. :(

Mike

Ratbones2002

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm having that same issue on my Lariat Hybrid. Noticed it at 500 miles and it does it every now and then. I've got 7,900 miles on mine now. I'm thinking this might need a recall or software update?

Sponsored

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm having that same issue on my Lariat Hybrid. Noticed it at 500 miles and it does it every now and then. I've got 7,900 miles on mine now. I'm thinking this might need a recall or software update?
7,000!

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've felt it at times as well. It did it on the test drive and my salesman said all the hybrids did it, so I left it at that. It does take some getting used to.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've noticed a little of this when it actually got warmer than freezing and was a little humid/wet out. I think it's the friction brakes taking over at low speeds. I'm thinking it happens when the pads/discs haven't been used a lot and have gotten a little bit sticky/grabby. I've had similar sensations with non hybrid cars when I first start driving and brake at low speeds. Since the hybrid uses mostly regen brakes at high speeds the friction brakes don't get cleaned off and the grabby sensation can be really noticeable when transitioning from the smooth regen brake. I haven't tried it but it might be worth giving it a relatively hard brake at higher speed (to engage the friction brakes) when you're experiencing it to see if it goes away.

Chicago Mike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shadow Black Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My hybrid is acting a bit different than above. When the vehicle is cold and starts in electric drive, by the time I arrive at the first stop light which is like two blocks from the house and stop, it feels like it surges quickly a couple of times. Almost like it’s trying to jump Forward. This has happened a few times this week. Once it begins to warm up the issue stops. I just passed 1100 miles.

docroland

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT 2022
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm 1500 miles now and experienced it too, maybe 4x now.

Sponsored

MortyHooper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My hybrid is acting a bit different than above. When the vehicle is cold and starts in electric drive, by the time I arrive at the first stop light which is like two blocks from the house and stop, it feels like it surges quickly a couple of times. Almost like it’s trying to jump Forward. This has happened a few times this week. Once it begins to warm up the issue stops. I just passed 1100 miles.
Sounds sketch- I wonder if this is similar to the heat issue when warming up parked where people speculated it gives too rich a mixture or something and causes the cat to heat up.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
I have about 3,500 miles on my Maverick XL Hybrid and one issue that I have been monitoring is that the brake system seems to be intermittently grabby and abrupt at slow speeds of 0-3 mph.

This would be such as when rolling into a parking space or maneuvering a 3-point turn with light to medium pedal effort. Sometimes it also happens coming to a stop light or stop sign.

The electronic brake system snap engages creating the sensation of the brakes grabbing. It is not severe enough to lock the wheels, but creates a noticable jerk in your motion. You can feel it in the pedal and hear it at the firewall where the system's electronic brake motor is mounted (means it's not happening at the calipers and discs).

The issue is one that for me as one who test drives lots of different vehicles is on the feather edge of being a "characteristic of low grade refinement" in the system or "something I need to have my dealership inspect". It's annoying but not sure it rises to the level of "problem".

I recently however tested and 2022 Escape Hybrid and it did not exhibit this behavior which has me thinking that I may consider a dealership visit.

I'm keeping an eye on it and will be discussing it on an upcoming review update but I wanted to put this out there and poll the masses to see if anyone else with a hybrid is experiencing this.
Hey there! Can you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to see what I can do to help get to the bottom of your truck's brake issues.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Hello, Mike!
Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist. Thanks!

S Fox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have had my XLT hybrid for 1 week, 650 miles. Exact issue with low speed brake and turning the wheel. Annoying, but not locking up. Have appointment tomorrow at Ford. Southern California. I also suspect friction brake engaging.

miketran

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick

I’m having the exact same problem with my hybrid Maverick. Does anyone know yet how to fix this issue? Thank you
Sponsored