First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This guy really doubled down on Toyotas lasting forever. Great cars/trucks but they have their issues too. My dad had an '07 4runner bought new, bottom rusted out, needed a transmission, and a bunch of other issues. Got 13 years out of it but nothing crazy, he was disappointed with what he got out of it.
Agree. We had a 2004 Sienna that had it's share of problems and went 130k miles in 14 years before we sold it and didn't have a great resale value.
Sponsored

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Room is something very interesting to me, because the Maverick does have most of the midsizers beat for room.... midsizers maybe a bit wider.....but in any case that has always been my issue with them..... room.....especially the back seats are terrible.

Dechion

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had several pickups years ago, then a series of sedans and minivans as the kids came along. Now I'm getting a truck again, and glad it's going to (eventually) be a Maverick.

None of those older trucks had a dampened or power tailgate. I didn't even know they existed until I started shopping for a truck. Hell, I saw one with power running boards that deployed from under the truck. Thats some next level fancy there.

Not really sure what the appeal is of these kind of things are. Its just one more thing that can break. They are nice for some I'm sure, but not really something I'm interested in.

On the plus side for those that want one Ford sells the tailgate damper as a bolt on accessory, so folks can just install one if it matters to them.

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You know one thing you donā€™t have to worry about with the Maverick? Your frame rotting out in less then 10 years. I donā€™t understand people who think all Toyotaā€™s last for ever. Donā€™t get me wrong they make great vehicles that do last but they have there problems too. Toyota tends to fix their problems even after the warranty is up which is great. I could name many problems about Tacos over the years. The frames, the early V6 head gasket issues, V6 trans issues, air injection pumps, oil sludge issues etc. although like I said Toyota takes care of their customers. American car manufacturers make long lasting card and trucks but the problems that they do have tend to be the customers problem and get no help from the manufacturer. Hybrid Fords and Ford cars in general tend to be very well made. The Maverick basically is a car with a bed. Same components on a modified car chassis( the C2 ). So I donā€™t see how it wouldnā€™t last as long or longer then the Tacoma. Sorry for the rant just trying to defend the American auto manufacturers who have been haunted by the poor quality years from 70 till about mid 90ā€™s. šŸ˜

rognus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I'm not sure why he was stuck on lasting forever? Nothing lasts forever! How does he know that that Toyota is going to last any longer than that Maverick? The Maverick is a brand new truck for Ford. Is it because there are a lot of old Toyota trucks on the road? I've noticed a lot of old Ford Rangers on the road? I've had an older Toyota Truck, I've also had an older Mazda truck (same as the older Ford truck just a different name) and they both seemed to be built about the same! I've had many people tell me they would have bought a Tacoma except for the terrible gas mileage. That's one of the main reasons the Maverick drew me to it. The hybrid's gas mileage! And then we get to the comfort part of it. He makes no bones about the Maverick being more comfortable and roomier!
Then we get to the real killer. $6000 difference in price! Nuff said ;)

Sponsored

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Iā€™m curious as to what lasting forever looks like to him.
Yeah I donā€™t get his emphasizing the ā€œlast foreverā€ part. Yes, Toyotas are durable and do last but who is to say the Maverick is not?

MoneyShift

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0 AWD
Hey Guys!

Thanks for tuning into the video and the comments, truly appreciate it.

While the Tacoma and Toyota isn't perfect, I don't think it is a secret to say that the driveline in these trucks is pretty freaking bulletproof. Plenty have gone above and beyond 200,000 miles with little to no problem. Were the frames an issue for awhile? You bet, so they most certainly aren't perfect, but in terms of engine/transmission I have more faith in a NA 3.5 that has been made for decades with a 6spd than my 2.0T and 8Spd for lasting the distance.

That said, I adore my Maverick. 3,500 miles down and obsessed with it.

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Seems to make an issue about a 'dampened' tailgate, the purpose of this being? If you can't operate a tailgate up & down, why do have a pickup? I actually had a customer stop by with a new truck that had a tailgate that raised by itself, again why & how much did that option cost? Maybe you can use it to crush beer cans. Could be so people don't have to stop texting while operating the tailgate.
turning on the ford app thing will give you enough credits to have the dealer put on a dampener and have another >$100 in credits left over.

Nighowl2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Toyota Tacoma changed the engine a few years ago. Went from the old bullet proof inline 6 4L to the newer v6 3.5L. so durability, who knows. Toyota have had very bland dull grey interiors in the past too. Price on parts are also very expensive for Toyotas too.

jmav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What I could never get past in the Tacoma whenever I sat in one was the low front seat height relative to the floorboard - sort of like sitting in a recliner vs having your feet and legs elevated by the footrest. Just wasn't comfortable for me.
The same thing I experienced when I compared a 4Runner to the domestic options in the late 80's.

The Tacoma has a higher price point for sure.
Yeah like the rest of the midsize trucks. It is not really an apples-to-apples comparison because of that.

Also has an awesome resale price.
Yes, very good but more upfront costs and likely more operating costs due to all the extra fuel it will take. If you NEED more off-road capability it is a better fit. If you spend the majority of your time on the highway it is not because of the road manners and additional fuel costs.
Sponsored