Sponsored
OP
OP

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-2L/250hp, Honda-1.5L/190hp, Mazda-1.6L/270hp.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Update, just got through 4th tank of fuel. Averaging 27 MPG with a 50/50 mix of city/hwy. I'm in traffic pretty much all the time. Calm driving, mind my own business respectfully behind a semi on the highway, no racing light to light in the city. Very, very happy with the fuel economy.
Positive surprises,
-MPG,
-I don't hate the steering wheel anymore, it's fine.
-idle stop is seamless. it was rather abrupt/clunky in the Honda.

Negative surprises
-auto door locks are atrocious. need to figure out how to disable.
-sometimes still reach for a non-existent gear shift lever.
-need more Mavericks on the roads PLEASE. I haven't seen another one yet. Getting tired of the inquisitive stares/questions......., ''how is it'?", '""what is this?", etc...

I hope I'm wrong on this Would not be surprised if Ford ratchets up the price next year. It really is massively under-priced in comparison to everything else out there.
Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Update, just got through 4th tank of fuel. Averaging 27 MPG with a 50/50 mix of city/hwy. I'm in traffic pretty much all the time. Calm driving, mind my own business respectfully behind a semi on the highway, no racing light to light in the city. Very, very happy with the fuel economy.
Positive surprises,
-MPG,

Negative surprises
-need more Mavericks on the roads PLEASE. I haven't seen another one yet. Getting tired of the inquisitive stares/questions......., ''how is it'?", '""what is this?", etc...

I hope I'm wrong on this Would not be surprised if Ford ratchets up the price next year. It really is massively under-priced in comparison to everything else out there.
I started out babying the gear dial - now it is just a flick one way or the other (reverse being the exception of course) - didn't like it at first but like anything else you get used to it!

I'm not in heavy traffic myself, but many of my trips are not too long (under 10 minutes), which is just as bad as traffic. Sounds like we drive about the same, and I'm also at 27mpg calculated after 1,300 miles or so. Very happy with it!

The idle stop is great - best version I've driven out of 4 different vehicles. Better than my 2019 ranger, which was decent. I drove a Rav4 in florida in september for a rental and the stop start was...startlingly violent by comparison. A physical lurch! I'm using the Maverick with the auto-hold brake as well, so it takes a split second to react to the gas and also start up, but it works about as well as I could ask for and I like both features enough to use them.

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
--XL 2L/awd. Wanted hybrid, but, can't wait. Very pleased so far, everything I expected. Did a long test drive in the Santa Cruz, briefly checked out the Tacoma/Ranger/Colorado. And, I've owned 3 Ridgelines.

--I'm in construction sub-trade. Do 25K miles/45K km. year. So yeah, MPG is very important to me. Reliability is critical. I always buy new and maintain religiously. Downtime costs me a lot of money. Will not consider a full size truck. With the height those monstrosities have grown to, I refuse to accept climbing into a truck bed as normal or acceptable. I'm 5' 11, retrieving items from the bed should not require an acrobatics performance.

--Tacoma/Ranger/Colorado. Did not even test drive. Bed height/access as bad as a full size truck. Getting into the cab also requires step bars. Not my cup of tea.

--Santa Cruz. Actually really liked the drive. In Canada, we only get the turbo model so cheapest one was almost $46K. (vehicle price plus tax) Drove really nice, interior was great but lacked storage space. Problem was the high sides combined with a high floor in the bed. If they had given it a side swing tailgate like the Ridgeline, and, the Maverick had been more Ranger/F150 like in height, I would have gotten the Hyundai. Cost difference between the Santa Cruz and a Maverick XLT optioned similarly is only about $3000 and the MPG is close enough. So, patiently waited for an actual Maverick to check out, and really hoped they didn't create another ''king of the road'', "super duper high rider", "look at me ma, eye level with the semi's" special.

--Ridgelines I know inside out. Had an 07, 12, and a 2017. The original intelligent truck, in my opinion. First generation sucked fuel like a full size domestic (17 MPG). The 2017 was much better, lifetime was 21 MPG. Does everything well, side swing tailgate means you can reach almost the entire bed, spacious interior. What's the problem, you ask? It would have cost me an extra $2000/yr in fuel. Can live with that. Deal breaker, purchase price (base model, similarly equipped as Santa Fe) is $54K. Pass. It's a great truck which will lose a ton of sales to the Maverick. I have absolutely no doubt on this. Honda's strategy of picking up customers who were turned off by the full sizers size/pricing may have worked before the Maverick. It won't now.

-Maverick. Finally saw in person. Almost cried when I saw the bed height and how accessible it was. Purchased incoming dealer stock without test driving. Truck came in, signed papers, been smiling since. Ride is similar to Ridgeline, fuel economy waaaay better, interior space a bit smaller, bed space a bit smaller, load handling much better (ridgeline would squat noticeably with 4-500 lbs in the bed), quality/fit and finish pretty much the same. It's a 9/10th's Ridgeline, but $$thousands less. Easy to get in. Easy to get out. Quiet. Plenty of power. Good space inside, very comfortable. 28MPG. $34k. XLT/luxury would have been $39K, I think. Sure, would have been nicer, but I'm still ecstatic with my baby truck. My next vehicle in 4-5 years will most likely be a Maverick hybrid. (if they're out by then, LOL, kidding)
If you paid $34k with no AWD or 4k tow, you must have paid a big ADM. Yeouch! And yes I agree, with all the supply chain issues and magnesium shortage, msrp going up.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I actually like the Santa Cruz and in some ways think it's a better vehicle than the Maverick. My concern is that Hyundai/Kia has a less than stellar reputation for reliability, especially when it comes to their engines. They've recalled a huge number of vehicles over the past few years for stuff like defective piston rings, vehicles catching on fire, and faulty turn signals. I trust Ford a lot more when it comes to reliability and build quality.

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I actually like the Santa Cruz and in some ways think it's a better vehicle than the Maverick. My concern is that Hyundai/Kia has a less than stellar reputation for reliability, especially when it comes to their engines. They've recalled a huge number of vehicles over the past few years for stuff like defective piston rings, vehicles catching on fire, and faulty turn signals. I trust Ford a lot more when it comes to reliability and build quality.
I am not a truck snob but I laughed the first time I saw a SC. Then I found out it is more expensive and you don't even get any knobs.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you paid $34k with no AWD, 4k tow, you must have paid a big ADM. And yes I agree, with all the supply chain issues and magnesium shortage, msrp going up.
Canada bucks (unless it's a different Toronto) so even an XL is starting at $30.5k. Add in taxes and fees and $34k makes sense.

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
OPs reason against midsizers is one of the main attractions for me. I want to step up into it, not slide down into it. :)

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Canada bucks (unless it's a different Toronto) so even an XL is starting at $30.5k. Add in taxes and fees and $34k makes sense.
Got it. Good no ADM. Thanks.

Pelster94

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Negative surprises
I'm sure it will wear off but I'm excited to get these questions and be the first Maverick people may see. I'm supposed to take delivery of mine next week!

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Positive surprises,
-MPG,

Negative surprises

I'm a young(er) guy and when the Ridgeline came out I thought it was the coolest thing ever, I think my youth leader in church or something had one and I was always enamored with how smart it was. Fast forward and I'm shocked they still sell it, it hasn't gotten a plethora of changes and to my knowledge has never been a huge seller although looking at data now it seems to have had some up/down swings. It seems like a truck designed for people like me and not really for truck people so much. Honda generally lives on their reputation and not really so much on their product offerings in my opinion. I will always want to buy stuff like their lawnmowers but I'll always buy the cheaper alternative that is about as good unless money is no object.

I truly don't understand where the Ridgeline lives if the Mav & Cruz exist, it seems like both vehicles eat about 90% of what the Ridgeline is there for. On the other hand the Tacoma is still immensely popular despite being fairly poorly equipped for the money and getting not great mileage.

I am curious though, what do you mean by the auto locks? The fact that they auto lock after you leave the vehicle for a while? or am I misunderstanding?

I'm sure it will wear off but I'm excited to get these questions and be the first Maverick people may see. I'm supposed to take delivery of mine next week!
I'd love to get questions about my Maverick... if I had one!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
-yeah, Toronto/Canada. Cdn $, no ADM.
-I'd have no hesitation with the Santa Cruz, if it had fit my needs better. We had an Entourage for 12 years. It was a quality vehicle. OEM parts were absurdly priced, but, that's another matter.
-If I'm ''stepping up into the drivers seat', that means I'm also stepping up into the bed to get materials/tools. Why on earth would I want to do that?
-trust me, the ''celebrity status'' wears thin pretty quickly and you just want to be left alone and blend in. I mean, I got an appliance white XL, with STEEL WHEELS!! I want to be invisible.
-agreed, the original smart truck, ridgeline, will be in trouble. Santa Cruz and Maverick will eat into it's sales and the ''I want to be king of the road'' crowd will never look at it anyways because they gotta have the biggest thing they can afford.

Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Interesting you found the mid-size trucks too tall for you at 5'11". I'm 5'11 1/2" and find the mid-sizers to be pretty perfect where I can get in/out of it with no issues and access the bed no problem. Great review and thanks for sharing.

OP
OP

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting you found the mid-size trucks too tall for you at 5'11". I'm 5'11 1/2" and find the mid-sizers to be pretty perfect where I can get in/out of it with no issues and access the bed no problem. Great review and thanks for sharing.
Yep, I've got 50 lb bags of cement and 20 L pails. Bed height, and, bed side wall height are all critical in my case.
I never had an issue with the Ridgeline getting in/out, and the side swing tailgate was perfect for access.

OP
OP

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, 5000 km/3000 mile update.
-problems, none.
-lifetime MPG sitting at 27. this is all normal daily driving, work, sitting at drive thru's, cold starts, hot starts, bumper to bumper traffic. All of it. I have not taken any long trips.
-very, very satisfied/happy customer.
Ford Maverick Maverick vs Ridgeline vs Santa Cruz review after taking delivery 20211209_100038
Sponsored