First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So while I had seen both the Mav and SC before, when its weeks apart its really hard to remember exactly what felt different between the two. We went to the Houston Auto Show yesterday though, and they had both not only available to poke about with minimal attendance so I could hog-it to my heart's content, but Ford and Hyundai are setup right next to each other!

I spent probably an hour molesting both, and my impressions are:
  • While not heated or cooled or perforated, I actually found the faux leather Lariat front seats more comfortable than the genuine leather SC. The faux texture didn't bother me, at least in the cool interior environment feeling just as good as the real thing, and I felt the Mav was a bit softer and with equal lumbar and a bit better bolstering support for my body shape.
  • For the back seats, I found that while both were a bit upright, and none as luxurious for long-trip snoozing as the Hyundai Tucson Limited seats that offered huuuge recline, the Ecoboost Mav felt a bit more comfortable and the lack of center armrest on the SC is really noticeable when sitting side-by-side for extended periods.
  • The Mav front seats had slightly easier ingress/egress than the SC, not so much noticeable by myself but to my elderly parents. The rear seats were noticeable to all of us as being easier getting in and out of on the Mav due to the shape of the door opening.
  • SC interior looked more upscale, but the more I played about with buttons on the SC the more fingerprints really showed up which was a non-issue on the Mav, and the Mav felt easier and more comfortable to reach for and manipulate its controls.
  • I know some hate the button or dial shifters over a physical one, but messing about w/ phones and water bottle the physical shifter in the SC does get in the way and I was left wishing they had used the buttons in the Hybrid Tuscon or dial shifter in the Mav.
  • Visibility from the front was equal on both, but visibility out backsides and back was better on the Mav.
  • For those that wear your hair in a bun, the Mav headrests protrude less forward than the SCs.
  • I know most here hate the styling, but side-by-side the black chrome package and fancy DRL setup and LED brake lights that go into the tailgate felt much more premium on the SC.
  • The reach over height is significantly better on the Mav than the SC into the bed, and the spray in liner was much less slippery than the polymer bed on the SC.
  • The SC tailgate is much fancier being damped and super featherweight to lift (guessing spring-preloaded) and openable with a fob, but the Mav was still very light although the Lariat in Houston has a defect. The driver's side tailgate support cable (whatever that's called) is slightly longer than the passenger side, and noticeably wobbly when the passenger side is under tension even under some weight. Seems there's some consistency issues as I heard from others too about how the tailgate on the Mav goes down slightly more than flush with the bed due to cables being ever so slightly too long.
  • The SC seats a bit higher when seats are adjusted right, and in person the SC does look noticeably wider and taller, and feels a bit more "muscular" because of its big fender flares and wide tires, more than shows up in pictures.
Sadly, while the XLT was present, it was locked on a keep-off pedestal, so I couldn't compare its interior, but side-by-side with all the lighting lit up, you really do notice the more premium look of the Lariat's painted trim pieces and upgraded headlights and taillights.
Sponsored

djw479

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mav Lariat Lux / '90 ZR-1 / '03 Yamaha V-Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks for the comprehensive comparison!

Its interesting to see what stands out as you saw them side by side. Personally I like the Mav's traditional exterior styling more, but I'm sure there are folks with alternate viewpoints.

While the SC's interior looks nicer, I plan on "working" my truck and hopefully the Mav's interior will be easier to keep clean (ie ActiveX in a Lariat, etc).

Biggest factor for me was being able to order a Hybrid. I imagine there's SC engineers working late nights on a Hybrid SC now, but what will their MSRP be? Even their base ICE drivetrain is thousands more than the Mav Hybrid, and Hyundai has traditional upcharged for a Hybrid drivetrain.

Last edited:

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great write up. Thanks!!