Sponsored
OP
OP

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-2L/250hp, Honda-1.5L/190hp, Mazda-1.6L/270hp.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I waited for the "hybrid Ridgeline" for 4 years. If I had to bet, it's not gonna happen. They're probably going to full EV off the GM platform.

Ford Maverick Maverick vs Ridgeline vs Santa Cruz review after taking delivery 20220125_100053
Sponsored

OP
OP

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
14000 km/ 8700 miles update.
-oil life 16% left.
-lifetime fuel still at 8.6 L/100km--27.5 mpg. fuel prices have increased considerably so started to consciously see ''what mpg can I pull out of this thing". Did 2 consecutive tanks at 8L/100--almost 30 MPG. This is my normal daily use with cold starts, drive thrus, gridlock etc. I'm really impressed considering AWD/5.9 sec. 0-60/4 doors/open bed/regular unleaded. Bravo Ford.
-sport mode is great in stop-go traffic. much better than tow/haul. holds gears and downshifts like a champ. can deal with stop go traffic hardly touching the brakes.
-bed is taking a beating and the drop in bedliner is still backordered. really don't want to, but, might have to compromise and get a spray in.
-driver seat cushion fabric loose in typical spot as others. will wait for either Ford official TSB or get aftermarket covers.
-tailgate not level when open, like the others. doesn't bother me or affect functionality. no action required.
-left taillight oozing dirt. while installing bed extender in November, noticed there's no splash cover underneath. typical first year screw up. was planning to install both side cubbies anyways, they should fill a significant amount of the void. if that doesn't fix it, will wait for either Ford TSB or the 2023's and buy those update parts if they deal with it. Not important enough for me to crawl underneath the truck.
-otherwise all good. happy, happy owner.

OP
OP

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
26500 km/ 16500miles update.
-problems/issues none.
-accidentally erased trip2 odo. which held my lifetime mpg. oh well.
-fuel economy sitting at 9L/100--26 mpg
-since april, mon-sat., truck is loaded with min. 300lbs, max. 1200 lbs. almost every day.
-lots of paint chips, however, not significantly worse than my Ridgelines. (both generations.)
-finally flat towed the race Miata. Drove just fine, no better or worse than the Ridgelines did.
-gas is $2.10 L // $7.90 gallon up here. this truck came just in time, thank you Ford.

DeeZee

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT Luxury Package
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
26500 km/ 16500miles update.
-problems/issues none.
-accidentally erased trip2 odo. which held my lifetime mpg. oh well.
-fuel economy sitting at 9L/100--26 mpg
-since april, mon-sat., truck is loaded with min. 300lbs, max. 1200 lbs. almost every day.
-lots of paint chips, however, not significantly worse than my Ridgelines. (both generations.)
-finally flat towed the race Miata. Drove just fine, no better or worse than the Ridgelines did.
-gas is $2.10 L // $7.90 gallon up here. this truck came just in time, thank you Ford.
Excellent! keep the updates coming👍

FlyingScot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Eco Lux FX4 4K CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We took delivery of our XLT Maverick Eco 4K FX4 AWD in April. Went from a 2017 Black Edition Ridgeline to this truck. Functionally, we gave up 1K lbs in towing but realistically we no longer tow much more than 3K so did not give up much. We gained a better AWD package and better engine power / torque down low - much more responsive. You had to rev the Ridgeline into VTEC if you wanted the power. Don’t miss the black leather burning our butts here in Fl, but do miss the swing our tailgate and bed trunk.

Ride dynamics are even better IMHO with less body roll, better turn in and better braking feel. We enjoy it - and Ridgeline was orders of magnitude better than our old F150 4x4 Lariat. The interior is marginally smaller but again for us not an issue. The captains chairs are nice on Ridgeline - but for us the Maverick‘s are actually very comfortable just wish had the swing up armrest.

The moonroof in Maverick is more forward (I think) but however it works it opens up the cabin better than the Ridgeline - function of moving from all black leather to lighter colored materials. We do miss the powered rear window but the manual works fine. The Honda Nav system is lousy - at least this has knobs and works just fine with CarPlay. Overall, as expected the 2022 feels like a more modern and updated vehicle that is slightly smaller which makes it more comfortable and fun to drive. Functionally, basically identical.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
-29K miles/47K km's update. delivered nov. 22
-lifetime fuel economy. 26 mpg/ 9L /100km.
-no problems/issues. glitchy radio fixed with overtheair software update. erratic start/stop fixed with BLM reset. paint seems weak but wife's 2021 crv touring isn't much better.
-dodged a bullet getting it last year. with the price/interest rate rise, a 2023 would have cost $8K extra on 72 month finance.
-it's a keeper.

Ozuye10

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick, 22 4Runner, 16 Mazda6, 12 Camry, 04 R
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There’s really no need for Honda to make a hybrid Ridgeline. It’s expensive af already, they have the tooling paid for many times over, it doesn’t sell in large numbers, will most likely be done away with in the future. EV replacement is unlikely as well. I really do like the Ridgeline but will not pay $43k for a base trim truck. The Maverick is a better option for many buyers.

Joeneonturbo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Dodge SRT-4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was able to purchase a fully loaded ridgeline black edition for $45k. I enjoyed the interior quality and width among other things. When it arrived, I decided to wait awhile longer for my maverick order. Gas mileage and cost was high for my budget. I hope there will be no regrets.

Ozuye10

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick, 22 4Runner, 16 Mazda6, 12 Camry, 04 R
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
XL Hybrid is literally half the price of what you ordered. 40% of the fuel costs as well. I’m sure you’ll be happy.

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great review. Have a Ridgeline for company vehicle. Still going strong at 380,000 miles. While it has some great features, Maverick wins hands down. Drove SC and not impresses - just my preference.

Sponsored

sgtcurry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Palisade, Model X, Ioniq 5
Engine
Undecided
I drove the Santa Cruz and while overall it is a much more comfortable vehicle with a bit better technology I wanted the top end trim for whatever I was going to buy and the Santa Cruz comes with a DCT. Dumbest move I have ever seen, Hyundai has had non stop problems on their old 7spd dry DCT (I actually have an old car going through warranty replacement as we speak) and decided to put it into a truck. The new 8 spd wet DCT they are using currently has plenty of issues as well. Incredibly stupid when their lower trims have a regular 8 spd automatic.

hurrah

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2012 Ford F250 6.7 2015 Ford XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
--XL 2L/awd. Wanted hybrid, but, can't wait. Very pleased so far, everything I expected. Did a long test drive in the Santa Cruz, briefly checked out the Tacoma/Ranger/Colorado. And, I've owned 3 Ridgelines.

--I'm in construction sub-trade. Do 25K miles/45K km. year. So yeah, MPG is very important to me. Reliability is critical. I always buy new and maintain religiously. Downtime costs me a lot of money. Will not consider a full size truck. With the height those monstrosities have grown to, I refuse to accept climbing into a truck bed as normal or acceptable. I'm 5' 11, retrieving items from the bed should not require an acrobatics performance.

--Tacoma/Ranger/Colorado. Did not even test drive. Bed height/access as bad as a full size truck. Getting into the cab also requires step bars. Not my cup of tea.

--Santa Cruz. Actually really liked the drive. In Canada, we only get the turbo model so cheapest one was almost $46K. (vehicle price plus tax) Drove really nice, interior was great but lacked storage space. Problem was the high sides combined with a high floor in the bed. If they had given it a side swing tailgate like the Ridgeline, and, the Maverick had been more Ranger/F150 like in height, I would have gotten the Hyundai. Cost difference between the Santa Cruz and a Maverick XLT optioned similarly is only about $3000 and the MPG is close enough. So, patiently waited for an actual Maverick to check out, and really hoped they didn't create another ''king of the road'', "super duper high rider", "look at me ma, eye level with the semi's" special.

--Ridgelines I know inside out. Had an 07, 12, and a 2017. The original intelligent truck, in my opinion. First generation sucked fuel like a full size domestic (17 MPG). The 2017 was much better, lifetime was 21 MPG. Does everything well, side swing tailgate means you can reach almost the entire bed, spacious interior. What's the problem, you ask? It would have cost me an extra $2000/yr in fuel. Can live with that. Deal breaker, purchase price (base model, similarly equipped as Santa Fe) is $54K. Pass. It's a great truck which will lose a ton of sales to the Maverick. I have absolutely no doubt on this. Honda's strategy of picking up customers who were turned off by the full sizers size/pricing may have worked before the Maverick. It won't now.

-Maverick. Finally saw in person. Almost cried when I saw the bed height and how accessible it was. Purchased incoming dealer stock without test driving. Truck came in, signed papers, been smiling since. Ride is similar to Ridgeline, fuel economy waaaay better, interior space a bit smaller, bed space a bit smaller, load handling much better (ridgeline would squat noticeably with 4-500 lbs in the bed), quality/fit and finish pretty much the same. It's a 9/10th's Ridgeline, but $$thousands less. Easy to get in. Easy to get out. Quiet. Plenty of power. Good space inside, very comfortable. 28MPG. $34k. XLT/luxury would have been $39K, I think. Sure, would have been nicer, but I'm still ecstatic with my baby truck. My next vehicle in 4-5 years will most likely be a Maverick hybrid. (if they're out by then, LOL, kidding)
Informative reading your comparison. I checked out the Santa Cruz and Rigeline before I ordered my Mav and came to the same conclusion without the actual experience. Upgraded from a base line XL to an XLT Tremor in Sept when my 22 order wasn't scheduled and got it the end of Dec. 31K for base XLT with Tremor and it has everything I want and need without the luxury package. I would suggest anyone who is leaning toward a Mav pull the trigger as Ford isn't going to leave that much money on the table as there is no competition when price is factored in.

OP
OP

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Toronto to Washington DC 36 mpg. Lifetime fuel economy still at 26mpg.

OP
OP

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
update. 82 000 km/ 50 000 ish miles.
-lifetime mpg 26
-OEM tires done.
-repairs. started around 3k, never got worse. low speed groaning noise, much more severe from cold start, low speed right turns, less so on lefts. me and everyone who listened, including ford tech, assumed RF CV joint. finally took into dealer. they're ordering a rear diff.
-

Space

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m totally with you on all points
🤓 I was looking hard at a Santa Cruz as well. Price and ride, surprisingly, not approved by my wife. But for me personally, I had hard time reaching seat controls when seat extended completely back. I am missing the more comfortable car like ride in my current Maverick. I believe there is a car/truck vehicle yet to be developed for the more typical residential use.
Sponsored