Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Author of the article: Elliot Alder, Jil McIntosh
Publishing date:Mar 31, 2022

Here's the link: https://driving.ca/reviews/comparis...tter 2022-04-02&utm_term=Driving_HeadlineNews

The author answers the question, "Which comes out on top in this head-to-head of two of the hottest utes of the moment?" It's an interesting article and the author sums up very well when he writes, "Both answer their niches well and at attractive prices, but the bottom line is that the Maverick’s unmatched value sweeps this comparison. The Santa Cruz is a great product — the Maverick is just an excellent one."
Sponsored

HappyCat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT-4k tow-FX4-Iconic Silver
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This picture of my truck hauling hay is why I didn't consider a Santa Cruz or Ridgeline, even before the Mav came out. There's no way I can haul more than a few bales of hay with the swept back rear window/frame. I wouldn't be able to securely stack bales, and most of the weight would be behind the rear wheel, not over it.
The Mav is a proper truck, in just the right size for my needs.
And yes, the price point is a big part of my decision on a Mav order/purchase. It came out right at the time I was debating buying new or investing in some major repairs on my 2006 Silverado 2500.
Ford Maverick Pickup Comparison: 2022 Ford Maverick vs Hyundai Santa Cruz Mav_HayHauling3

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Author of the article: Elliot Alder, Jil McIntosh
Publishing date:Mar 31, 2022

Here's the link: https://driving.ca/reviews/comparison/pickup-comparison-2022-ford-maverick-vs-hyundai-santa-cruz?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Driving Newsletter 2022-04-02&utm_term=Driving_HeadlineNews

The author answers the question, "Which comes out on top in this head-to-head of two of the hottest utes of the moment?" It's an interesting article and the author sums up very well when he writes, "Both answer their niches well and at attractive prices, but the bottom line is that the Maverick’s unmatched value sweeps this comparison. The Santa Cruz is a great product — the Maverick is just an excellent one."
Maverick is not a "ute", it's a compact pickup truck. -1 for the author.

Sponsored

Samus L. Jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
This picture of my truck hauling hay is why I didn't consider a Santa Cruz or Ridgeline, even before the Mav came out. There's no way I can haul more than a few bales of hay with the swept back rear window/frame. I wouldn't be able to securely stack bales, and most of the weight would be behind the rear wheel, not over it.
After looking at some pictures, I see what you mean about the "swept back" rear window on the Santa Cruz, but I don't think that's true of the Ridgeline?

Ridgeline seems like it would be trucky enough...like a Maverick. Santa Cruz does seem a bit more like "car with a bed" though.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Mav is a proper truck, in just the right size for my needs.
And yes, the price point is a big part of my decision on a Mav order/purchase. It came out right at the time I was debating buying new or investing in some major repairs on my 2006 Silverado 2500.
Mav_HayHauling3.jpg
I understand using the bed sides to stack hay. As a kid growing up in far West Texas my mom and I would visit my grandparents in Rogers Arkansas. I had an uncle the hauled hay for a living. I started out around 8-9 years old driving the old International flat bed in the hay field. Got paid big money at about 1/2 cent a bale. Shoot, I could make $5 to 10 a day depending on the size of the hay field. Course, my uncle didn't really need a driver, because you could pull the choke out a little, put the International in granny, and point it in the direction you needed straight down a row. You only needed to make a turn at the end of the row. When I got bigger, I made a penny a bale. Lot's of money for a 12 YO back in the late 50s.

In the late 70s, as the VP of a regional electrical engineering/contracting firm I used to help my boss haul hay from an 80 acre plot to his ranch/farm about 15 miles away. We alway had a good time, although some employees resented the need. I always felt it was a good respite from everyday work.

Good memories. Everyone should experience hauling hay and working with family and friends. :cool:

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I understand using the bed sides to stack hay. As a kid growing up in far West Texas my mom and I would visit my grandparents in Rogers Arkansas. I had an uncle the hauled hay for a living. I started out around 8-9 years old driving the old International flat bed in the hay field. Got paid big money at about 1/2 cent a bale. Shoot, I could make $5 to 10 a day depending on the size of the hay field. Course, my uncle didn't really need a driver, because you could pull the choke out a little, put the International in granny, and point it in the direction you needed straight down a row. You only needed to make a turn at the end of the row. When I got bigger, I made a penny a bale. Lot's of money for a 12 YO back in the late 50s.

In the late 70s, as the VP of a regional electrical engineering/contracting firm I used to help my boss haul hay from an 80 acre plot to his ranch/farm about 15 miles away. We alway had a good time, although some employees resented the need. I always felt it was a good respite from everyday work.

Good memories. Everyone should experience hauling hay and working with family and friends. :cool:
Cant remember what the truck was, I think it was F350 with a gooseneck. But at 10 years old I was about 5'8" 160 or so, plenty big enough to toss bales. So that was my job, when my dad would go help out his cousin on the farm. Sooner we got the field done the more time we had at the race track in his ministock.
Sponsored