Sponsored

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-2L/250hp, Honda-1.5L/190hp, Mazda-1.6L/270hp.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
--XL 2L/awd. Wanted hybrid, but, can't wait. Very pleased so far, everything I expected. Did a long test drive in the Santa Cruz, briefly checked out the Tacoma/Ranger/Colorado. And, I've owned 3 Ridgelines.

--I'm in construction sub-trade. Do 25K miles/45K km. year. So yeah, MPG is very important to me. Reliability is critical. I always buy new and maintain religiously. Downtime costs me a lot of money. Will not consider a full size truck. With the height those monstrosities have grown to, I refuse to accept climbing into a truck bed as normal or acceptable. I'm 5' 11, retrieving items from the bed should not require an acrobatics performance.

--Tacoma/Ranger/Colorado. Did not even test drive. Bed height/access as bad as a full size truck. Getting into the cab also requires step bars. Not my cup of tea.

--Santa Cruz. Actually really liked the drive. In Canada, we only get the turbo model so cheapest one was almost $46K. (vehicle price plus tax) Drove really nice, interior was great but lacked storage space. Problem was the high sides combined with a high floor in the bed. If they had given it a side swing tailgate like the Ridgeline, and, the Maverick had been more Ranger/F150 like in height, I would have gotten the Hyundai. Cost difference between the Santa Cruz and a Maverick XLT optioned similarly is only about $3000 and the MPG is close enough. So, patiently waited for an actual Maverick to check out, and really hoped they didn't create another ''king of the road'', "super duper high rider", "look at me ma, eye level with the semi's" special.

--Ridgelines I know inside out. Had an 07, 12, and a 2017. The original intelligent truck, in my opinion. First generation sucked fuel like a full size domestic (17 MPG). The 2017 was much better, lifetime was 21 MPG. Does everything well, side swing tailgate means you can reach almost the entire bed, spacious interior. What's the problem, you ask? It would have cost me an extra $2000/yr in fuel. Can live with that. Deal breaker, purchase price (base model, similarly equipped as Santa Fe) is $54K. Pass. It's a great truck which will lose a ton of sales to the Maverick. I have absolutely no doubt on this. Honda's strategy of picking up customers who were turned off by the full sizers size/pricing may have worked before the Maverick. It won't now.

-Maverick. Finally saw in person. Almost cried when I saw the bed height and how accessible it was. Purchased incoming dealer stock without test driving. Truck came in, signed papers, been smiling since. Ride is similar to Ridgeline, fuel economy waaaay better, interior space a bit smaller, bed space a bit smaller, load handling much better (ridgeline would squat noticeably with 4-500 lbs in the bed), quality/fit and finish pretty much the same. It's a 9/10th's Ridgeline, but $$thousands less. Easy to get in. Easy to get out. Quiet. Plenty of power. Good space inside, very comfortable. 28MPG. $34k. XLT/luxury would have been $39K, I think. Sure, would have been nicer, but I'm still ecstatic with my baby truck. My next vehicle in 4-5 years will most likely be a Maverick hybrid. (if they're out by then, LOL, kidding)
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Glad you love it and happy to hear your story!

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really great post, thanks!

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I feel the same. The Santa Cruz seemed much taller and larger in person than the Maverick. The Maverick is pretty low in bed height and seat position getting in/out.
Whether that is good or not is personal preference.

Deacon Blues

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Fit, 1997 F150
Personally, I can't warm up to the Santa Cruz's looks. Many may like how it looks, but I don't.
I am very happy I went with the Lariat trim, even though it's expensive.
If I had been able to get my hands on a 2022 Honda Ridgeline (base model) within a month or two I would have gone that route, but having said that I'm very happy with my Lariat Maverick.

Sponsored

2517X

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got a 09 ridgeline myself,will miss a few things but will gain more when the hybrid gets here
I got rid of my 2007 Ridgeline w/ 166K miles on it. I really liked the Honda, but was starting to get some rust, the dual action tailgate was starting to be problematic, and 16 MPG became an issue. Looking forward to getting the Maverick because I'm getting tired driving our 2013 Spark we usually tow behind the motorhome. Because you can flat tow a hybrid Maverick, the Spark will be gone too. The Spark is averaging 37.4 MPG, so fuel costs will be the same, but comfort will greatly increase.

Last edited by a moderator:

EvilTwin

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Avalon Hybrid, 2000 F150
I keep cross shopping the Ridgeline, but I can't get past the price. Cheapest I seem to get is about 2 grand above MSRP or about 5% so out the door (US prices) for the cheapest model is about 42.5 to 43. I just can't get past the price difference between the two. My out the door for the XLT Hybrid is about 28.3. Yeah, the Ridgeline tows more and is AWD but for 15 grand more its hard to swallow.

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
--XL 2L/awd. Wanted hybrid, but, can't wait. Very pleased so far, everything I expected. Did a long test drive in the Santa Cruz, briefly checked out the Tacoma/Ranger/Colorado. And, I've owned 3 Ridgelines.

--I'm in construction sub-trade. Do 25K miles/45K km. year. So yeah, MPG is very important to me. Reliability is critical. I always buy new and maintain religiously. Downtime costs me a lot of money. Will not consider a full size truck. With the height those monstrosities have grown to, I refuse to accept climbing into a truck bed as normal or acceptable. I'm 5' 11, retrieving items from the bed should not require an acrobatics performance.

--Tacoma/Ranger/Colorado. Did not even test drive. Bed height/access as bad as a full size truck. Getting into the cab also requires step bars. Not my cup of tea.

--Santa Cruz. Actually really liked the drive. In Canada, we only get the turbo model so cheapest one was almost $46K. (vehicle price plus tax) Drove really nice, interior was great but lacked storage space. Problem was the high sides combined with a high floor in the bed. If they had given it a side swing tailgate like the Ridgeline, and, the Maverick had been more Ranger/F150 like in height, I would have gotten the Hyundai. Cost difference between the Santa Cruz and a Maverick XLT optioned similarly is only about $3000 and the MPG is close enough. So, patiently waited for an actual Maverick to check out, and really hoped they didn't create another ''king of the road'', "super duper high rider", "look at me ma, eye level with the semi's" special.

--Ridgelines I know inside out. Had an 07, 12, and a 2017. The original intelligent truck, in my opinion. First generation sucked fuel like a full size domestic (17 MPG). The 2017 was much better, lifetime was 21 MPG. Does everything well, side swing tailgate means you can reach almost the entire bed, spacious interior. What's the problem, you ask? It would have cost me an extra $2000/yr in fuel. Can live with that. Deal breaker, purchase price (base model, similarly equipped as Santa Fe) is $54K. Pass. It's a great truck which will lose a ton of sales to the Maverick. I have absolutely no doubt on this. Honda's strategy of picking up customers who were turned off by the full sizers size/pricing may have worked before the Maverick. It won't now.

-Maverick. Finally saw in person. Almost cried when I saw the bed height and how accessible it was. Purchased incoming dealer stock without test driving. Truck came in, signed papers, been smiling since. Ride is similar to Ridgeline, fuel economy waaaay better, interior space a bit smaller, bed space a bit smaller, load handling much better (ridgeline would squat noticeably with 4-500 lbs in the bed), quality/fit and finish pretty much the same. It's a 9/10th's Ridgeline, but $$thousands less. Easy to get in. Easy to get out. Quiet. Plenty of power. Good space inside, very comfortable. 28MPG. $34k. XLT/luxury would have been $39K, I think. Sure, would have been nicer, but I'm still ecstatic with my baby truck. My next vehicle in 4-5 years will most likely be a Maverick hybrid. (if they're out by then, LOL, kidding)
I've avoided large pickup trucks for the same reasons you mention, terrible ingress/egress, poor gas mileage, and bumpy rides. The Maverick has none of these issues! Can't wait to get my hybrid, hopefully this spring.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I keep cross shopping the Ridgeline, but I can't get past the price. Cheapest I seem to get is about 2 grand above MSRP or about 5% so out the door (US prices) for the cheapest model is about 42.5 to 43. I just can't get past the price difference between the two. My out the door for the XLT Hybrid is about 28.3. Yeah, the Ridgeline tows more and is AWD but for 15 grand more its hard to swallow.
With a fully optioned Lariat/Lux @ 36k The Ridgeline @ 40k (comparable options) is within reach but just seems like the Maverick makes the most sense, lots of capability with a smaller footprint- A little concerned with some of the quality issues being reported such as paint and seals but hope these are warrantied fixes -

Sponsored

tngreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
I'm right there with you. The Ridgeline seems a more higher line model, however.... an xtra 10k to 15k....not sure about that....unless one has that kind of budget to work with...
I think a well equipped Maverick will fit the bill just fine besides I'll 50yr old...but will get bored with a vehicle 8 to 10 yrs in...so the Maverick should do well within that timeframe. I'm going for the proven Hybrid powertrain since I don't tow/haul but a lawn mower & home supplies occasionally.

Lexx

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Personally, I can't warm up to the Santa Cruz's looks. Many may like how it looks, but I don't.
I am very happy I went with the Lariat trim, even though it's expensive.
If I had been able to get my hands on a 2022 Honda Ridgeline (base model) within a month or two I would have gone that route, but having said that I'm very happy with my Lariat Maverick.
I’m totally with you on all points

jcsan18

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Thanks for your feedback.

I've looked at every mid size, and the only one I would even consider is the Ridgeline, but the only one I'd be interested in would be the RTL and above trim levels, since it has all of the features I ordered in the Mav. The price is ridiculous and wouldn't make any sense at all to bite that bullet, even considering Honda reliability.

The Maverick is as close to a perfect car for me as I can find.

HS DAN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux - received 10/28/2
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

A couple of points to ponder w.r.t Maverick vs Santa Cruz

Drove a SC Turbo and was very impressed.
Drove a SC 2.5L, and was very unimpressed. Loud and not powerful.
After getting used to Adaptive Cruise and Lane Centering on our Subaru Outback, considered them to be "must haves" in my decision. However, with SC, to get Adaptive CC, you need to jump up to the Limited, and then you're getting all the bells and whistles you may or may not want, including a $40K + price.

Needless to say, although I originally leaned in the SC direction, after researching both, I have ordered a Hybrid Maverick Lariat w/Lux package. I know it'll be a while until I get it, but it's worth waiting for IMHO.
Sponsored