First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting surprise twist at the end. At first they seem to keep praising the Santa Cruz ptoint for point as as being superior, but it looks like they lost all their enthusiasm for it when it came to the "Wait, They Cost How Much?" section, and dismiss it at that point as overpriced while the Maverick can be configured much cheaper if desired.

Like most reviews, they dismiss the base powertrains as irrelevant, which is unfortunate. I'd love to see a $30K vs $30K Mavs vs SC peasant battle royale.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not sure how you get a non-FE Lariat MSRP at nearly $39K without the 4K tow package?

Something is fishy here....

Sponsored

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
I'm not sure how you get a non-FE Lariat MSRP at nearly $39K without the 4K tow package?

Something is fishy here....
Would personally get every package except 4K. Most people have no need to tow with trailer brake control.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Would personally get every package except 4K. Most people have no need to tow with trailer brake control.
Except the chuckleheads at MT complaining about no TB control!

The point is, I don't think you can get MSRP that high without it.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yep, even better, a base model face off would be great.
Only problem is the Mav and SC base for base aren't very similar on standard equipment. SC SE trim is basically a Mav XLT trim with some options, as you get the same 18" wheels, seats, DRLs, self-leveling multilink rear suspension, LED tail lights, damped tailgate, infotainment and so forth of the $37K SEL Premium model.

So sadly the Santa Cruz doesn't really come in a barebones "fleet" style like the Mav XL. Not that there's anything wrong with the XL, I considered it myself if I were to upgrade the headlights and taillights and wheels anyway with cooler aftermarket options. Only deal breaker for me so far is the cruise control, so going to wait to see how good people like the aftermarket options.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
I'm a little confused by the towing portion of the article. Why were they trying to tow 3000 pounds with a vehicle that is only rated to tow 2000 pounds?

Towing Tricks

Towing isn't the strong suit of either truck, but maximums of 4,000 pounds for the 2.0T Maverick and 5,000 pounds for the Santa Cruz are more than enough for small camper trailers and small-scale powersports stuff like dirt bikes and wave runners. The Santa Cruz tows a load easily and confidently; you can barely tell a trailer is behind it save for a whiff of sway. The dual-clutch transmission had no issue with the extra weight.

The Ford was less confident pulling the same 3,000 pound load, but it still managed fairly well. The trailer seemed to boss the truck around a little bit, but an aftermarket trailer brake controller might help prevent some of that sensation. We wouldn't hesitate to tow with the Ford again, although we might keep to smaller loads without a controller.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm a little confused by the towing portion of the article. Why were they trying to tow 3000 pounds with a vehicle that is only rated to tow 2000 pounds?
Yeah, there are all kinds of contradictions in this section.... Even the pic of the Mav they supposedly tested doesn't even have a hitch! WTF, MT?

Sponsored

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
That ending nothing like some great confirmation bias! Feels good. Also secound day of Maverick driving by my house. Guessing I'm on the way home. Going to have to watch it drive by for the next 8 months taunting me! Lol

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
Yeah, there are all kinds of contradictions in this section.... Even the pic of the Mav they supposedly tested doesn't even have a hitch! WTF, MT?
Yeah exactly. It's just a little weird. What tipped me off was the part about adding an aftermarket brake controller to the Mav to help out. If they had a Mav with the 4K tow package it comes with an integrated brake controller.

If their truck didn't have that then the official tow rating for the Mav is 2000 pounds so no wonder it got "Bossed around" by their trailer......they were trying to tow 1000 MORE pounds then what their truck was rated for. lol

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah exactly. It's just a little weird. What tipped me off was the part about adding an aftermarket brake controller to the Mav to help out. If they had a Mav with the 4K tow package it comes with an integrated brake controller.

If their truck didn't have that then the official tow rating for the Mav is 2000 pounds so no wonder it got "Bossed around" by their trailer......they were trying to tow 1000 MORE pounds then what their truck was rated for. lol
At this point in history, it's safe to assume a lot of journalists either a) don't know WTF they are talking about or b) simply make stuff up for convenience's sake.

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick Mania!

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Don't know how they got a 0-60 time of 7.0 secs. I've seen video 0-60 of 6.3 secs for the XLT with tow package, another video of 6.4 secs and a video of 6.5 secs. But the last was done on 87 octane fuel. The Santa Cruz has more power but the heavier weight and bigger wheels and wider tires make them close in performance.
Sponsored