John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What makes it even more dicey, is that the braking regen is Not linear, it wants to apply more regen braking as the vehicle speed decreases?

Hope this explanation helps, this is what i think is occuring?

Kind of yes, kind of no.
Hydraulic brakes, with constant pressure will do more work, more slowing action ( evidenced by creating more heat ) at higher speeds, and gradually taper the work done as the vehicle slows, evidenced by creating less heat at the slower speeds.

Electrodynamic brakes in EVs and hybrids provide constant braking power. It does not taper down with slower speeds, as was the case with hydraulic brakes. This provides linear stopping power, but people are used to tapered stopping power. The constant stopping power feels like an increase, because people are used to a decrease with hydraulic.

This is not my speculation.
This is how it works.

The Maverick gives you 32 kW of slowing at 85 MPH.
The Maverick gives you 32 kW of slowing at 55 MPH.
The Maverick gives you 32 kW of slowing at 5 MPH.

The power is linear. The braking effort is linear. People want and expect a taper. This is where creative programming plays a role.

Because 32 kW of braking at 85 mph FEELS mild. 32 kW of braking at 5 mph FEELS strong.

When the Maverick hits 3 MPH electrodynamic "regen" suddenly turns off. At (hopefully) the same moment hydraulic brakes turn on. But getting the feel of the hydraulic to match the regen is a real challenge. And this is what the "programming update" is all about.

And Shay, you can quote me on this if you want in a future video.
Sponsored

Karl Saghy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am getting a big clunk when taking off from a stop in elect. mode. It has a pause like its out of gear then when it starts to accelerate again in elect. mode it clunks. this mostly happens when it is under load, going uphill etc. also the brakes grab. is there a tsb or a fix for this?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
I am getting a big clunk when taking off from a stop in elect. mode. It has a pause like its out of gear then when it starts to accelerate again in elect. mode it clunks. this mostly happens when it is under load, going uphill etc. also the brakes grab. is there a tsb or a fix for this?
Hi there. This noise concern doesnā€™t sound like something we want you to experience with your Maverick. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

GregCoffee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
A lot of us of taking this issue to Forde already and they canā€™t seem to find the issue. The noise of a clunk paired with the jerky staff is ā€œnormal behavior ā€œfor the Ford maverick, unfortunately.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I remember correctly One reported hearing a "clunk" and first dealer found no issue so he took it to a second dealer whose tech diagnosed failed motor mounts due to a defective roll restrictor. Replaced them.... Might search for thread with "roll restrictor"????
Brake knocking issue (possible recall?)

Last edited:

Karl Saghy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi there. This noise concern doesnā€™t sound like something we want you to experience with your Maverick. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
I had my truck at the dealer this week, Pugmire Ford in Cartersville Ga. They said the TSB does not apply to the Hybrid. Only full electric vehicles and could not do it. Can someone please get the details of the TSB straighted out so i can get my truck fixed. The VIN# is3fttw8e33nra81614 i could take it to a different dealer if need to . Please help. Thanks , Karl Saghy

Andy704

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your dealer is incorrect, TSB for Grabby Brakes released in mid December is for the hybrid. I have had it done as many others have, most people report a complete fix, you got to take it back to the dealer and have them look into it further. TSB 22-2494

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD šŸ˜‰
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had my truck at the dealer this week, Pugmire Ford in Cartersville Ga. They said the TSB does not apply to the Hybrid. Only full electric vehicles and could not do it. Can someone please get the details of the TSB straighted out so i can get my truck fixed. The VIN# is3fttw8e33nra81614 i could take it to a different dealer if need to . Please help. Thanks , Karl Saghy
TSB 22-2493 clearly states "2.5L full hybrid electric vehicle (FHEV)". Maverick is only available as a Hybrid or EcoBoost. This TSB is for the hybrid option. Not sure where the confusion comes from, except technicians/service advisors who don't know much about the product... The TSB is very clear, though. Ask them to re-read it.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...rick-grabby-brakes-at-or-below-6-2-mph.24977/

Sponsored

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Called a local ford dealership today and it seemed they havenā€™t had anyone with similar issue. Not sure if I want to be their first to get fixed since they said they would have to diagnose the issue first.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD šŸ˜‰
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The hybrid has a gasoline engine so......
Yes, but an EV doesn't have an ICE, so...

The TSB refers to both the software update and EGR valve issues specific to Maverick Full Hybrid Electric Vehicles (FHEV). Some dealers have been misinterpreting that as the TSB only applies to EVs.

But an EGR valve has no place on an EV which has no exhaust gas to deal with...

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have about 3,500 miles on my Maverick XL Hybrid and one issue that I have been monitoring is that the brake system seems to be intermittently grabby and abrupt at slow speeds of 0-3 mph.

This would be such as when rolling into a parking space or maneuvering a 3-point turn with light to medium pedal effort. Sometimes it also happens coming to a stop light or stop sign.

The electronic brake system snap engages creating the sensation of the brakes grabbing. It is not severe enough to lock the wheels, but creates a noticable jerk in your motion. You can feel it in the pedal and hear it at the firewall where the system's electronic brake motor is mounted (means it's not happening at the calipers and discs).

The issue is one that for me as one who test drives lots of different vehicles is on the feather edge of being a "characteristic of low grade refinement" in the system or "something I need to have my dealership inspect". It's annoying but not sure it rises to the level of "problem".

I recently however tested and 2022 Escape Hybrid and it did not exhibit this behavior which has me thinking that I may consider a dealership visit.

I'm keeping an eye on it and will be discussing it on an upcoming review update but I wanted to put this out there and poll the masses to see if anyone else with a hybrid is experiencing this.
There is a TSB and a software fix for this.
Look it up elsewhere on these posts.
Sponsored