Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is my first hybrid, so I had something happened I didn't expect.

I left my truck parked for six weeks while I was away. I would check its location with my phone but never remote started it because I was worried with some of the issues people had. I had yet to try remote starting it since I got it and didn't want to do it while away.

Inevitable, I got the deep sleep message and was unable to check in on my truck.

Keyfob unlocked my truck no problem from very far away when I got back. And it started right up (engine running immediately) when I got in it. Not unexpected.

But the issue is the brakes.

See, when you park a vehicle that long, the rotors are going to rust. It's inevitable. But, when I started driving, I tapped the brakes. And only a bit of a gravelly sound right when I stopped.

No problem, right? Wrong. The brakes only seem to activate at the very end of your stopping. So I got that gravelly sound for two days before it was finally gone and the rotors were nice and shiny smooth again.

I even tried to hard brake once just to get it to grind the rotors a bit but to no avail. Apparently I'm incapable off being rough with my truck.

Problem went away. But it's different just how long unused rotors stay rusty. In most cars I'd run the gas and lightly apply the brake for a few feet and be good. Didn't think to try if the electric motor would pull against the brake or if the brake would automatically kill the electric motor and activate the regenerative braking even with the throttle applied.

Just a weird quirk of a hybrid I didn't expect. Anyone else experience anything similar ever?
Sponsored

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds normal after sitting for 6 weeks. The rotors are different than a car since it is made more for the truck and regenerative braking. Hard braking a few times to get the rust off should be fine the next time it sits that long or longer. IMO, you should have someone drive it for you once a week when (someone you reallllly trust :) ) ...... Just my 2 cents.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve been told going in reverse and braking hard is especially effective to address squealing brakes. I have no idea if that’s true, or if it is, then why?

OP
OP

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds normal after sitting for 6 weeks. The rotors are different than a car since it is made more for the truck and regenerative braking. Hard braking a few times to get the rust off should be fine the next time it sits that long or longer. IMO, you should have someone drive it for you once a week when (someone you reallllly trust :) ) ...... Just my 2 cents.
Normally I would, but didn't have time to give someone the keys to do so. So it just sat.

I tried the hard braking at a light. And that didn't work nearly as good as it did with any other car I owned. Usually one good brake and they're rust free and smooth.

But the regenerative braking really prolongs how much it takes. Plus, usually, most of my braking is 100% according to the brake coach. And you can only hear/feel the real brakes engage the last couple of miles an hour and it's an instant bite. Not enough sliding through the pads to clean them like in most cars.

ffoc01

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hyb FE, 2014 Flex
So, A trick I used on my CMax and on other customer hybrids was to go on a hard drive but shift to neutral when braking. When the transmission is in neutral, there's no regen braking, so all the brake force comes from the friction brakes. It helps clean the rotors much more effectively than with regen braking active. I try to do this fairly often up here in New England in the winter where road salt causes brake to rust up pretty easily.

That being said, I've never replaced a set of hybrid brakes for normal wear up here. They get used so little that it's usually rotor corrosion that does them in after about 3-4 years. It's just an unfortunate side effect of having a vehicle that doesn't rely exclusively on friction brakes, and therefore doesn't scrub the rotors clean as easily.

After I replaced the brakes in my CMax the second time, I ended up switching to aftermarket "Geomet" coated rotors. They've held up much better than the OEM rotors, and they looked almost as good yesterday when I sold the CMax as they did when I put them on a few years ago.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, A trick I used on my CMax and on other customer hybrids was to go on a hard drive but shift to neutral when braking. When the transmission is in neutral, there's no regen braking, so all the brake force comes from the friction brakes. It helps clean the rotors much more effectively than with regen braking active. I try to do this fairly often up here in New England in the winter where road salt causes brake to rust up pretty easily.

That being said, I've never replaced a set of hybrid brakes for normal wear up here. They get used so little that it's usually rotor corrosion that does them in after about 3-4 years. It's just an unfortunate side effect of having a vehicle that doesn't rely exclusively on friction brakes, and therefore doesn't scrub the rotors clean as easily.

After I replaced the brakes in my CMax the second time, I ended up switching to aftermarket "Geomet" coated rotors. They've held up much better than the OEM rotors, and they looked almost as good yesterday when I sold the CMax as they did when I put them on a few years ago.
Good to know. I'll remember to put it in neutral and use the brakes to stop. It's always a pet peeve of mine to have rusty brakes. But you can't just brake and throttle together to fix it in a few seconds. But the neutral trick will probably work.

Speed2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX Sportwagon
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve been told going in reverse and braking hard is especially effective to address squealing brakes. I have no idea if that’s true, or if it is, then why?
Most cars have self adjusting brakes. Reversing and applying the brakes activates this feature and you will hear distinct click that you dont hear braking moving forward.
Sponsored