Sponsored

How long should the Hybrid Battery Last?

jeffinVA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Never having owned a Hybrid or even ridden in one and not being able to find a post on the subject, how long should the Hybrid Battery last before it needs to be replaced?

I'm concerned that all the savings in gas could be wiped out with having to replace an expensive battery. I know it's not going to be like a $22k Tesla battery but even $5k (?) five or six years from now would suck.
Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Never having owned a Hybrid or even ridden in one and not being able to find a post on the subject, how long should the Hybrid Battery last before it needs to be replaced?

I'm concerned that all the savings in gas could be wiped out with having to replace an expensive battery. I know it's not going to be like a $22k Tesla battery but even $5k (?) five or six years from now would suck.
The battery is warranted for 8 years, so you don't have to worry about 5-6 years. The battery is expected (and empirical evidence has shown) to last well over 10 years and 150K+ miles. Replacement for the battery at that point should be relatively cheap (<$1K) since you'll likely be able to find them aftermarket or scraped. Over 10 years, the hybrid should save the average driver between $5K and $7K, so the math should work out. There are a couple other threads where we get into the details.

golfbymagic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV, Toyota Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have a 2009 Toyota Prius that was bought new when gas was over $4/gal. It now has 183,000 miles on it and we're still running on the original hybrid battery. Toyota has always been sort of the hybrid gold standard, but it was this experience that helped make it easier to order the Maverick XL Hybrid. Mine is supposed to be built the week of 2/14.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

DucFae

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick; Moto - Scrambler UE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have a 2009 Toyota Prius that was bought new when gas was over $4/gal. It now has 183,000 miles on it and we're still running on the original hybrid battery. Toyota has always been sort of the hybrid gold standard, but it was this experience that helped make it easier to order the Maverick XL Hybrid. Mine is supposed to be built the week of 2/14.
Out of curiosity, when did you order? I put mine in back in August, but I don't even have a build date.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jeffinVA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Thanks for the info. I thought it would cost more to replace then $1k. After 8-10 years I can live with that.

OP
OP

jeffinVA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Out of curiosity, when did you order? I put mine in back in August, but I don't even have a build date.
Didn't order yet. I was on the fence too long. Looks like August now. That may be good considering Ford in Mexico appears to need to work out some QC issues like holes in the gas tank and uneven tail gates just to name a few. At least Ford is keeping the tradition alive from the 1970'ies. I really did think they would have stayed on top of these issues right from the start.

sn00pyguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sn00pyguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is good to remember, the Maverick hybrid uses a 1-kv battery for the electric motor. Most totally electric vehicles (like Tesla) use a 30-kv battery or greater. So, the hybrid battery will be considerably less expensive to replace based on its size/kv rating alone.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Right now it's hard to give a good long term projection of battery life, most the newer hybrids, including the Maverick, are using lithium ion batteries. I don't know of any hybrid manufactures that switched to lithium packs less than 8 years ago. Older longer lived hybrids like my 2008 Camry Hybrid (14 years old as of last August) that still are running on the original battery had nickle metal hydrate batteries. How much you drive will play a roll. If you put 100k miles on a year on the vehicle it might not last 8 years. If you put 2-3k a year that might also not be great, the batteries like to be used to stay in prime operating condition.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Right now it's hard to give a good long term projection of battery life, most the newer hybrids, including the Maverick, are using lithium ion batteries. I don't know of any hybrid manufactures that switched to lithium packs less than 8 years ago.
10 years is enough time to see long-term reliability. I know of no hybrid with Li-ion battery life issues. Expect it to be a life-of-vehicle part. Lots of battery life issues among the plug-in crowd, but a hybrid doesn't do that.
We have a 2009 Toyota Prius that was bought new when gas was over $4/gal. It now has 183,000 miles on it...
A NiMH hybrid. Toyota learned to manage the technology, so kept it far longer than others.
Ford Maverick How long should the Hybrid Battery Last? 1641254151715

One must be careful to compare like thing, of comparisons can be misleading.

Sponsored

Reejie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Areej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang V6
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2005 Escape Hybrid had 278,000 miles on it with the original battery. 16 years going strong. Unfortunately the car was totaled in an accident, otherwise, I'd still be driving it!

DucFae

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick; Moto - Scrambler UE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid