Odd Brakes in Hybrid Maverick

Danimal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I'm no stranger to hybrid brakes; the transition between regen to actual brakes and what that feels like. I've driven hybrids for years. However, the brakes on my hybrid maverick seem odd. In most situations I chalk it up to the fact that every car is a little different and that's fine. But in one particular situation I feel like the brakes are dangerous.

If I'm in stop/go traffic or at a stop light and barely have my foot on the brake, it's enough to keep the car stopped. When I take my foot off the brake, (don't apply any gas pedal) and I go to quickly reapply the brake it's like nothing engages for the first 20%-30% of the break push...way past where I just had my foot when the truck was stopped. The brakes eventually engage but they go from 0% to 100% and the truck dips forward because of the harshness of the brakes. I'm afraid one of these times I'm going to roll into the back of the car in front of me.

Is this a hybrid brake thing? Does anyone else experience this?
Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hmm I don't recall this experience on mine either.

EDIT: that said, the brakes are my least favorite part of my vehicle driving experience. I agree with others that it could use a lot of refinement.

Last edited:

Stock411

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve noticed this at very low speeds. It seems it’s trying to use regen to stop the vehicle then it like catches what you’re trying to do and uses actual hydraulic brakes

OP
OP

Danimal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I’ve noticed this at very low speeds. It seems it’s trying to use regen to stop the vehicle then it like catches what you’re trying to do and uses actual hydraulic brakes
That's what it feels like to me too

Sponsored

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That's what it feels like to me too
Sam mentions the braking issue and demonstrates this in his recent review. Is this similar to what you describe?

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree with Sam and his review. They just feel very unrefined. Which means it takes longer to get used to them. I've had my hybrid for 6 weeks now and am just about used to them finally. I have found they are much more linear feeling in eco mode tho. Maybe it's just my truck idk.

rognus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've not noticed that with mine. I'm very used to mine now and have a harder time adjusting to the brakes on my wife's Subaru when I drive it ;).

DCP

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Flex, 2018 Escape, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have not really noticed anything that feels substantially different from typical braking.

OP
OP

Danimal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Sam mentions the braking issue and demonstrates this in his recent review. Is this similar to what you describe?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm experiencing. He described it well.

I'm not saying I'm a perfect driver, but I can't imagine I'll ever adjust to it. I I'd have to accurately guess when the brakes are going to bite or not.

Yesterday my wife thought I was playing a joke on her because I stopped about 4 feet in front of the parking spot curb because the brakes bit down. She thought I was trying to be funny. Same errand, I nearly rear-ended a car at a stop light going idle speeds because I was so gradual on the brake as I tried to avoid upsetting the misses when the brake clamped down. This time they didn't bite and at the last second I pushed down hard and they finally stopped us.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Jezmund_Berserker

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I'm in stop/go traffic or at a stop light and barely have my foot on the brake, it's enough to keep the car stopped. When I take my foot off the brake, (don't apply any gas pedal) and I go to quickly reapply the brake it's like nothing engages for the first 20%-30% of the break push...way past where I just had my foot when the truck was stopped. The brakes eventually engage but they go from 0% to 100% and the truck dips forward because of the harshness of the brakes. I'm afraid one of these times I'm going to roll into the back of the car in front of me.

Came in to look for this because it’s exactly what I experienced this week. I wasn’t so worried about the dangerous part, but the brakes going from 0% to 100% instantly at low speeds was miserable.

2517X

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've noticed the brakes seem inconsistent, especially at low speeds. Sometimes when creeping up to my garage chocks the brakes don't seem to work at all, and then suddenly they do. It also seems like in the rain they are a bit more "grabby". If you switch to slippery mode they seem less aggressive. Once you determine which mood the Maverick is in, it is easy to adapt to it, but some times the mood of my Maverick can change quickly. I must have a female truck.

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm no stranger to hybrid brakes; the transition between regen to actual brakes and what that feels like. I've driven hybrids for years. However, the brakes on my hybrid maverick seem odd. In most situations I chalk it up to the fact that every car is a little different and that's fine. But in one particular situation I feel like the brakes are dangerous.

Check out this 5,000 mile review. He mentions issues with breaking on the hybrid.

Maverick XL Hybrid 5000 mile review - real world 47 mpg average | MaverickTruckClub - 2022+ Ford Maverick Pickup Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
THIS! Yes, I agree!

taralon

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Hybrid
Engine
Undecided
My 2018 Ford Fusion Hybrid has the same issues. Trying to 'creep' into the garage is an exercise in frustration as you have to let up so much of the brake to get it to start to creep, and when it does, it pretty much lunges forwards, and then you have to fairly slam on them to get it to stop again.

Truthfully the older Ford hybrids had a much better brake engagement at lower speeds.
Sponsored