Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was a manual-transmission die-hard for decades. I loved the control and precision for everything from navigating rough roads, to descending steep mountain highways. Automatic transmissions are always hunting, shifting at the wrong time, etc. CVTs suck as well--rubber-banding, artificial shift points, etc. just aren't any fun.

And then I bought my first electric car--which has one gear. All the power when needed, great regenerative braking, no hunting, etc. The ease of an automatic, with all of the control of a manual--and truly a joy to drive.

So, I was pretty nervous about buying a Maverick. But I read a lot about the hybrid's eCVT, and figured that I would give it a chance. Well, I love it! It drives much like an electric car--smooth power at all speeds. Not quite as smooth and precise as an EV, but close enough. I don't miss rowing my own gears at all.

I don't expect to ever buy a manual transmission again, which is something that I swore I'd never say!
Sponsored

AdventureSetterland

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Three of my four F-series Ford trucks were manuals, most recently 1998 and 2000 F-150 Supercabs (we were raising 4 kids). My 2013 would have been a manual, if I could get one. At least it's a 5.0. Current Ranger doesn't interest me.

I think a lot of people still want basic work trucks with a small jump seat, that are fun to drive. If they are making these trucks in Mexico and for export too, I'm certain they are making manuals.

PLEASE! Bring manual transmissions back to Canada and the US.
Iā€™m going to be so pissed if the added a manual after mine is finally delivered šŸ¤£

That said, I doubt they will unfortunately I would be 100% thatā€™s what I want were it an option

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
sounds like you actually needed a 3rd hand with that setup - for the Starbucks or beer :LOL:
I've seen this around bragg/fayetteville lol. Wish I could only say once or that it was only starbucks. After the bad shifting experience on my old colorado got progressively worse I was done with manuals for dd. My gf's wrx is fun as hell but that's different kind of clutch than you would get on a truck. But at least I can brag about having had one to the kids and tell them how soft they are these days

James L. Harrison

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do any vehicles with the 2,0L ecoboost have manuals? I dont think there are and I wouldn't hold my breath. The market for manuals is very small and Ford isn't going to dump a bunch of money into manufacturing something with basically no margin.
My 2.0 Turbo '14 Focus ST has a six speed shifter. I love it...

James L. Harrison

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Iā€™m going to be so pissed if the added a manual after mine is finally delivered šŸ¤£

That said, I doubt they will unfortunately I would be 100% thatā€™s what I want were it an option
Right now it looks like you should be able to order a new manual transmission Maverick should one become available... Then trade in/sell your present Maverick for enough dough to get it... In about a year!!! GGG

Sponsored

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looking forward to my hybrid delivered and hoping TobyGadd is right about the transition to ECVT.

That said, if a manual ecoboot became available, I'd jump all over it. And Ford did use this combo previously, in the Focus ST 2.0 MT-6. The Maverick is compact and nimble, it would be fun as a manual.

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
so i'm just going to say the maverick is not a "sports/tuner" car the only things that have manuals are focus ST/RS or mustangs camaros and the likes but even exotics are using paddle shifted automatic style - as we all know it's only for personal enjoyment and the maverick was made for utility and fuel economy is better with automatic too. Yes i always loved driving a manual in my old muscle cars and even for a long while in my s-10/rangers i had. ford sells many vehicles and they see that the masses do not buy manual transmissions (kids don't know how to drive them either like someone said earlier hasn't been taught in drivers training). everything you read or hear the future is going full electric = no manual transmissions.
autonomous driving won't be manual either ;)

Last edited:

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As more and more development goes into EVs, why spend development dollars on a manual transmission for a gas engine? In ten years you won't find manual transmissions much if at all.

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
I bought my first electric car--which has one gear. All the power when needed, great regenerative braking, no hunting, etc. The ease of an automatic, with all of the control of a manual--and truly a joy to drive.

I don't expect to ever buy a manual transmission again, which is something that I swore I'd never say!
100% agree. The electric car more than satisfies my itch to drive a manual. I really like how the regenerative braking causes a clutch-like drag on the power train when I step off the accelerator.

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Three of my four F-series Ford trucks were manuals, most recently 1998 and 2000 F-150 Supercabs (we were raising 4 kids). My 2013 would have been a manual, if I could get one. At least it's a 5.0. Current Ranger doesn't interest me.

I think a lot of people still want basic work trucks with a small jump seat, that are fun to drive. If they are making these trucks in Mexico and for export too, I'm certain they are making manuals.

PLEASE! Bring manual transmissions back to Canada and the US.
Are you serious? Manual transmission? They canā€™t make the ones they have plans for, how the hell are they going to make something different? Ford just donā€™t care.

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First, let me just say that I am not trying to convince anyone that manual or automatic is better. I've had several of both: my current Jeep is manual, my new hybrid will be automatic (of course). It's like ice cream -- the flavor you like is clearly better... for you.

That said, a minority of drivers want manual transmissions, and that minority is shrinking all the time. The number of new car models that could even possibly have manual transmissions is also shrinking as hybrids and EVs gain market share.

The seemingly inevitable result is that manual transmissions will become more and more scarce. And the limited number produced will likely cause their price to rise relative to automatics.

That will probably mean fewer and fewer people will choose manual transmissions... and the downward slide will continue. The odds of a manual shift Maverick seem pretty low to me.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

At this point it's unlikely to see a manual outside of performance cars and offroaders. Outside of enthusiasts, the percentage of people who can drive them is so small at this point there just isn't a market anymore.

HD676

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Harley, 2007 Shelby GT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I also really really really dont understand why people insist on crushing the wishes and dreams of others with their "I have spoken, I am right, you are wrong" rhetoric. If you have a choice to either say, "i like your dream and wish that too" or "your dream is dumb, get over it". If you dont choose to lift people up why bother to tear them down?

Ohh wait I forgot this is the internet. :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes: Savages.
Ford has spoken. They are right. 2021 and newer Shelby Mustangs are only available in automatic. No option for manual. Itā€™s only a matter of time before it trickles down to all models.

Modern 8 & 10 speed computer controlled transmission are more fuel efficient than manual transmissions. This is so the companies can meet the federal mpg regulations. Thats likely why there is only an option for ā€˜Dā€™ in the Maverick. No low gear, no paddle shifters, no ability to select gears for yourself. The computer can adjust your cruise speed, apply the brake to avoid a collision, steer your car to keep you in your lane, and hold you at 15 mph going down a hill by pressing a button. Just the way cars evolved. I canā€™t say I do not like some of these features, but it has taken the experience out of driving. Thatā€™s why I still have a Shelby GT and Harley to enjoy.

James L. Harrison

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First, let me just say that I am not trying to convince anyone that manual or automatic is better. I've had several of both: my current Jeep is manual, my new hybrid will be automatic (of course). It's like ice cream -- the flavor you like is clearly better... for you.

That said, a minority of drivers want manual transmissions, and that minority is shrinking all the time. The number of new car models that could even possibly have manual transmissions is also shrinking as hybrids and EVs gain market share.

The seemingly inevitable result is that manual transmissions will become more and more scarce. And the limited number produced will likely cause their price to rise relative to automatics.

That will probably mean fewer and fewer people will choose manual transmissions... and the downward slide will continue. The odds of a manual shift Maverick seem pretty low to me.
Long term [or not so long!] I'm afraid you're right. However: Ford has a great 6 speed manual transmissions such as the one in my '14 Focus ST Turbo. That should be great for the EcoBoost Maverick IMHO without much if any engineering needed I would suspect.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Well all i can say to this at this point is automatics are built to fail. One day all of them will leak and then begin to die. This is fact. The timeframe is debatable but not the reality. Electric cars are coming also fact. Do they need transmissions? No but there is no reason not to have one(unless its automatic). Ford built that electric mustang with a 6 speed. It didnt need it, but it worked and probably would make the motor last longer by simply turning fewer rpms. Bearings have a lifespan. Lots of electric machines have gear reduction, for efficiency and lifespan. Like your starter motor. I think lazy drivers who dont really in their heart want to drive, will always rally behind automatics. But real gear heads, who feel rpms in their chest when they dream at night. Will always prefer a manual. I think the future should have 3 types of cars. Autonomous(for the masses), semi autonomous(for adventurous masses), and manuals no matter the propulsion(even rockets have stages). Manuals should continue to exist for enthusiasts if a company wants to keep inspiring passion for customers, to create die-hards. Generational buyers and legacies.
Sponsored