Let's hope there is a manual transmission available

Shifter

First Name
Craig
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150, 2005 Mustang GT Convertible, 5-speed
Three of my four F-series Ford trucks were manuals, most recently 1998 and 2000 F-150 Supercabs (we were raising 4 kids). My 2013 would have been a manual, if I could get one. At least it's a 5.0. Current Ranger doesn't interest me.

I think a lot of people still want basic work trucks with a small jump seat, that are fun to drive. If they are making these trucks in Mexico and for export too, I'm certain they are making manuals.

PLEASE! Bring manual transmissions back to Canada and the US.

ghost1986

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
I have two very different interpretations on this and what could happen

One is that they would never do a manual because basically the only people that even care about them is me and you and two other weirdos on the internet by this point. This is the more likely scenario to me especially when you look at the Escape and Bronco Sport without them. I really dont see a manual happening as much as I would love to it. Would reduce the cost a lot for a superior transmission thats for sure.

Option 2 would be they DO have a manual but ONLY on a totally base trim to hit the sub $20k mark they sorta teased. Automatics are stupid costly to put on new cars when optioned (one of many reasons i hate them) so i could see it being made possibly just to hit that fabled price point and nothing more. I would be absolutely fine with this option even if it meant i was forced into a base front wheel drive 1.5 3 cylinder model. The manual itself would trump a bigger engine and AWD for me personally. Id prefer a base trim anyway. Realistically my absolute preferred setup would be a 2.0 4 cylinder with all wheel drive and manual in a base trim but i dont see that happening. I could MAYBE see the awd and bigger engine optioned in the base trim if they follow the Broncos option-ability where its very open in terms of how to build the models out. If manuals dont exist, that would be my preferred way of building it out.

Reactions: Doc

FutureOwnerInTN

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV/Car
I agree with the above. I think based on the little info we know & the views of the interior testing mule it has a mixture of Escape/Bronco Sport parts...especially that solid console. The thing I keep thinking is that they have to also be expecting this to go overseas. Either South America, and/or UK. Maybe Asia as well. If the commercial market steps up on these, or even is ahead of the game to place large orders that may drive the manual argument too. If we do get to have that option it will be the base stripped down model. For you guys & those other two wierdos i hope they give you the option. Maybe like the new Bronco crowd...if yall yell loud enough they will offer it.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Ya know, I had completely put a manual transmission Maverick out of my mind until this thread. haha Now you've got me thinking how fun it would be in a compact truck like this. Though I'll agree that it is very unlikely. I am also one of those few weirdos who still likes a manual. Or at least I did. Every vehicle I've owned has been a manual except my current 5g Ranger. But I've started to get to the point where I'm reprioritizing things. As much fun as a manual is, I've found myself gravitating more towards hybrids for the massive jump in fuel economy. And, though I'm no powerplant engineer, I can't imagine a hybrid manual. I think I've come to my own personal conclusion that I'll get a hybrid as my everyday/work/towing/everything vehicle, then just get a convertible Mustang or Miata with a manual as a fun little roadster to keep the manual work alive in my life.

But on to the point at hand. I'll agree that given the rumors and speculation that I've seen as of this writing, it'll more than likely have the same powertrain as the Escape and Bronco Sport (i.e. 8 speed auto).

binmack

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I'm only one guy but I will not buy a truck with out a manual. When my last Ford, a 2011 Ford Ranger (4.0 / 5spd) had to be replaced I had few options. I purchased a Tacoma because they had a truck with a stick. The Tacoma is a good truck but its wasn't my first choice. The Maverick would be perfect for me but no stick no sale.

Art Vandelay

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
?
I'm a manual transmission guy too, but I believe the odds are very low that the Maverick will have that option. The ONLY thing that gives me some hope is that it's based on the same platform as the new Bronco Sport which will be offered in a manual so maybe because they already have the platform ready with parts for a manual it could happen. Even with that fact though I still believe the chances are very low. If it were to happen then I believe Ghost1986's Option #2 above would be the likely scenario.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I'm a manual transmission guy too, but I believe the odds are very low that the Maverick will have that option. The ONLY thing that gives me some hope is that it's based on the same platform as the new Bronco Sport which will be offered in a manual so maybe because they already have the platform ready with parts for a manual it could happen. Even with that fact though I still believe the chances are very low. If it were to happen then I believe Ghost1986's Option #2 above would be the likely scenario.
The Bronco Sport is not offered in a manual. The full-size Bronco is. The Bronco Sport has the 8-speed rotary dial transmission.

The full-size Bronco having a manual option opens the door for the next gen Ranger to possibly have a manual option when it's revamped in 2023, since they'll be based on the same T6.1 platform. But even that is a slim possibility in my eyes.

Art Vandelay

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
?
The Bronco Sport is not offered in a manual. The full-size Bronco is. The Bronco Sport has the 8-speed rotary dial transmission.

The full-size Bronco having a manual option opens the door for the next gen Ranger to possibly have a manual option when it's revamped in 2023, since they'll be based on the same T6.1 platform. But even that is a slim possibility in my eyes.
I could have sworn I saw that the Bronco Sport was going to a manual, I guess I mixed them up. I agree on it being a slim chance of the next Ranger having a manual.

Charcoal

First Name
Charlie
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F150 and Kia forte
I drive an 07 f150 with a 5 speed and refuse to let it go unless I get something else with a stick. if the maverick doesn't have one im not gonna buy.