Manual Transmission

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Walking the dog yesterday and there was a mid 80s Dodge Dakota parked on the street. Looked to be a base model with a 5 speed manual and two wheel drive. Have you noticed that those are the trucks, the basic ones, that survive? Those are the trucks people keep for 35 or more years?

Seems to me that Ford should be looking at offering a manual transmission. Of course I'd also love to see a plug in hybrid version. If I had to bet on one of those, I'd bet we see the plug in hybrid drive train from the Escape and don't see a manual.

Old Ranchero

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Walking the dog yesterday and there was a mid 80s Dodge Dakota parked on the street. Looked to be a base model with a 5 speed manual and two wheel drive. Have you noticed that those are the trucks, the basic ones, that survive? Those are the trucks people keep for 35 or more years?

Seems to me that Ford should be looking at offering a manual transmission. Of course I'd also love to see a plug in hybrid version. If I had to bet on one of those, I'd bet we see the plug in hybrid drive train from the Escape and don't see a manual.
there's 2 simple reasons they don't offer manuals anymore: 1 is you need an auto to have select-able driving modes and crawl mode type features that lets a computer do the braking, set slow engine speed automatically, and traction/hill descent control. #2 reason is very few people in the younger generations ever learn to drive a stick- if they're even interested in driving at all- and they just prefer using a driving service to get around with no expenses and responsibilities of owning a vehicle.

FTM1

First Name
Fred
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RIDGELINE ACURA 3.2 TL
Another reason most Manual Transmission
are not as efficient as the automatics.
Not worth manufacturing now unless it's sports car.

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Every drivetrain configuration has to be EPA certified, a process that takes millions of dollars. Companies won't offer manuals if they're not even sure they can recover the certification cost.

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
As someone that has owned over 20 cars with a manual transmission, and someone who LOVES manual transmissions, I have accepted the truth that the manual is dead. Right now the only choice for a truck with a manual is the Jeep Gladiator...but then you're stuck driving a Jeep Gladiator.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
As someone that has owned over 20 cars with a manual transmission, and someone who LOVES manual transmissions, I have accepted the truth that the manual is dead. Right now the only choice for a truck with a manual is the Jeep Gladiator...but then you're stuck driving a Jeep Gladiator.
You can still get a Tacoma with a stick too.

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
Only in the SR trim as a base model with 159hp 4 cylinder. No thanks.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Only in the SR trim as a base model with 159hp 4 cylinder. No thanks.
Nope. You can get a manual on the TRD trims (Sport, Off-Road, and Pro) as well. With the V6.

Screenshot_20210408-194304.png

And even if it was just the SR trim with the 4 cyl, that's still an option out there for people whether you want it or not.

Art Vandelay

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
?
I think you summed it up perfectly. I also have had several cars with manual transmissions over the years since I first learned to drive almost 30 years ago. I have been wanting a convertible as an extra car to enjoy in the summer months and I recently purchased a 2015 Beetle convertible with a manual transmission. It's a really fun car but I'm convinced that it's likely going to be the last manual transmission car I own because they are getting closer & closer to extinction. Finding this car in a manual took several months of searching. I also considered a Mustang convertible but when I test drove one I found the seats to be very uncomfortable and actually painful because my back would hurt badly if I sat in them for extended periods of time.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I think you summed it up perfectly. I also have had several cars with manual transmissions over the years since I first learned to drive almost 30 years ago. I have been wanting a convertible as an extra car to enjoy in the summer months and I recently purchased a 2015 Beetle convertible with a manual transmission. It's a really fun car but I'm convinced that it's likely going to be the last manual transmission car I own because they are getting closer & closer to extinction. Finding this car in a manual took several months of searching. I also considered a Mustang convertible but when I test drove one I found the seats to be very uncomfortable and actually painful because my back would hurt badly if I sat in them for extended periods of time.
I'm in pretty much the same mindset, just a few years behind. haha My current 5g Ranger is my first automatic transmission vehicle. I've also accepted I will no longer own a manual transmission daily driver. Leaning more towards the hybrid/electric for my main vehicle. And same as you, a manual transmission for my fun/summer roadster vehicle. Ideally a convertible Miata or Mustang. But I'm not quite in the position to do that quite yet.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
there's 2 simple reasons they don't offer manuals anymore: 1 is you need an auto to have select-able driving modes and crawl mode type features that lets a computer do the braking, set slow engine speed automatically, and traction/hill descent control. #2 reason is very few people in the younger generations ever learn to drive a stick- if they're even interested in driving at all- and they just prefer using a driving service to get around with no expenses and responsibilities of owning a vehicle.
I think you are right about newer drivers never learning the manual. And all the modern gadgets requiring the computer to have control for the transmission functions.

But, my real point was about simplicity. That Dakota I mentioned barely even had any controls for the heater. I'm hoping the Maverick will offer a trim level that just has the basics: 2wd, no drive modes, nothing that claims to be self driving. You know, everything you need and nothing you don't. Not because I'm cheap, but because I like simple. Maybe I'm just hearkening back to the 1994 Mazda B2300 (actually a Ford Ranger) that I bought new. That truck went 120,000 miles on the original clutch even though we used to load it so full of firewood the frame rested on the bump stops. But hey I don't do firewood anymore and I'm sure the Maverick will be a much better vehicle.

Old Ranchero

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
I think you are right about newer drivers never learning the manual. And all the modern gadgets requiring the computer to have control for the transmission functions.

But, my real point was about simplicity. That Dakota I mentioned barely even had any controls for the heater. I'm hoping the Maverick will offer a trim level that just has the basics: 2wd, no drive modes, nothing that claims to be self driving. You know, everything you need and nothing you don't. Not because I'm cheap, but because I like simple. Maybe I'm just hearkening back to the 1994 Mazda B2300 (actually a Ford Ranger) that I bought new. That truck went 120,000 miles on the original clutch even though we used to load it so full of firewood the frame rested on the bump stops. But hey I don't do firewood anymore and I'm sure the Maverick will be a much better vehicle.
I hear you loud & clear. I'm a life long practitioner of the K.I.S.S. principal. All indications are that lowest MSRP "base" model will have 2WD (FWD), smallest engine (likely I-3), small steel wheels, plain paint job (and few standard color choices), no tow or other add on capability packages, no fancy infotainment center or up level interior or exterior touches, etc., probably even rubber floor and cheapest seat material. All that other stuff will be part of upgrade-able option packages. In addition to being a fleet level "strippy" as my dealer calls them, I just really need a low step in height at the tailgate and a bed long enough to hold motorcycles safely. We currently own a 2018 F-150 "Sport" with minimal standard equipment, but the thing sits higher than we like. Considering adding a cab step now since we are both in our 60's with back issues and I can't even get my dirt bikes in/out without a helper. Really makes me long for the days of my 1964 Falcon Ranchero with 289 V8, manual trans, manual everything inside and perfect size for everything I needed to use the bed for- including the motorcycles. I had 4 Rangers between 1987 and 2006 and they worked fine too, but you had to really look to find 1 that wasn't all tarted up with options I never wanted anyways.

NDL

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I wish that Ford would offer a manual in the Maverick; although there maybe an exception or two, manuals simply last much longer; I will not be persuaded otherwise.

I like driving a manual much better too, and yes, I used to brave NYC traffic on a daily basis with a manual.

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
I’m now seriously considering a Tacoma TRD Sport with 6-speed manual. I’ll wait and see what the Maverick offers, but if there is no manual option (and I doubt there will be) I’m gonna get me a Taco. Yes, it’s more money, but nothing beats a manual.