Sponsored

Jumping another vehicle FROM the Maverick hybrid?

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, I don't know how they do it in the Greens, but if you're stuck in the middle of backwoods Sugar Grove, WV, you get a jump from my Maverick Hybrid.🤠

Capture19.JPG
Well, then let me try to explain myself a little better. I tell folks I do not jump from my vehicle, I do not carry cables, BUT I do have a high quality battery jumper that actually works better and is safer to use for BOTH vehicles. I jump their vehicle, has always worked and they are on their way happier than a pig in shit.

Hopefully we are clear on the subject so please do not try in the future to make me out as some prick who refuses to help someone in distress and just drives away. But thank you for explaining how you West Virginians do things down in Sugar Grove.

Happy Mavericking!!
Sponsored

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Friends don't let friends jump start other cars. There are oh so many electronics hooked to your battery.
Get a little jump pack, they work better anyway.
Exactly!! Sadly, some still do not get it. Besides, the safety factor is for both vehicles, not just the one doing the jumping. Shit happens. The last thing these trucks need is some transient voltage surge cause by God know what.

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, then let me try to explain myself a little better. I tell folks I do not jump from my vehicle, I do not carry cables, BUT I do have a high quality battery jumper that actually works better and is safer to use for BOTH vehicles. I jump their vehicle, has always worked and they are on their way happier than a pig in shit.

Hopefully we are clear on the subject so please do not try in the future to make me out as some prick who refuses to help someone in distress and just drives away. But thank you for explaining how you West Virginians do things down in Sugar Grove.

Happy Mavericking!!
Well it's true. I was less than stoked and more than hesitant to give a jump from a 4 month old Hybrid. I'm also too cheap for the jumper box, hehe. It 'aint Vermont cold here very often.

Here's the pic for OP. Now off to pack the Maverick for about a foot of West Virginia rain. Maybe some backside snow too...

Ford Maverick Jumping another vehicle FROM the Maverick hybrid? 20231216_095022

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well it's true. I was less than stoked and more than hesitant to give a jump from a 4 month old Hybrid. I'm also too cheap for the jumper box, hehe. It 'aint Vermont cold here very often.

Here's the pic for OP. Now off to pack the Maverick for about a foot of West Virginia rain. Maybe some backside snow too...

20231216_095022.jpg
:) Well, WV may not be Vermont cold, but it sure as hell is Vermont beautiful. I view WV as a great place to live in more ways than one if you get my gist.

We've got nothing but rain coming. Sucks. The weather girl said that if the coming storm was all snow we would get a widespread 3 feet with as much as 4-5 in the mountains. With the snowmobile trails opening up this weekend it would have been perfect timing. Oh well. :cry:

Last edited:

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
:) Well, WV may not be Vermont cold, but it sure as hell is Vermont beautiful. I view WV as a great place to live in more ways than one if you get my gist.

We've got nothing but rain coming. Sucks. The weather girl said that if the coming storm was all snow we would get a widespread 3 feet with as much as 4-5 in the mountains. With the snowmobile trails opening up this weekend it would have been perfect timing. Oh well. :cry:
VT is awesome, gotta make it up there more often. I have friends up in Eden, VT, but it's a trek.

Looks like my house in WV at 3,200 ft. elevation is gonna get hit with about half of the Great Lakes in frozen form. It will be raging blizzard by Monday. The whole house shakes. Gotta drive 3 hrs. today to batten down the hatches.

Maybe I do need that jumper pack after all....

Ford Maverick Jumping another vehicle FROM the Maverick hybrid? CaptureSnow.JPG

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Jumper packs: great if you have one.

Even AAA tow trucks usually use those now.

Second choice? You can jump from your hybrid if you are careful and know what you are doing.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sorry, I refuse to jump another vehicle with these modern rolling computers we find ourselves driving now...
I hear ya.
The last time I jumped someone was with my F-150. I know how to properly connect the jumper cables. When the other party's car started, the alternator light came on on the dash of my 150. Had to replace my alternator. I haven't jumped anyone since and I will be using the Jump Box if I need to. I certainly won't be jumping anyone with my Maverick Hybrid.

In an extremely urgent out in the middle of nowhere situation, and w/o the jump box, I would attempt to jump someone with my Maverick's 12v battery. But the battery would be disconnected from my truck.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

...I was less than stoked and more than hesitant to give a jump from a 4 month old Hybrid. I'm also too cheap for the jumper box...
You may some day wish you had a jump box - especially in middle of fn nowhere locations ;) I had mine in my previous vehicle and definitely want it in my Maverick, due to Ford's flaky battery, electronics, wiring and BMS SNAFUs.

OP
OP
Maverick Life

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

@GPSMan for the win!

I kept coming back to this notion myself:
A battery is a battery.
When it comes down to it, if I didn't need to use the Maverick, I could just swap the Maverick 12v battery into the dead vehicle and drive it off. Bottom line: there's stored power there that should be able to be used somehow. Thanks for the great post up above.

TBH, I'll probably never jump another vehicle out of an abundance of caution but I'm really glad to know it's possible.

I also won't be carrying a third battery around in the hybrid as a "what if" precaution for jumping. There's nothing wrong with that approach of course. I'm just rarely in the middle of nowhere and have plenty of friends who can bring one my way if needed.

Thanks all for good thoughts on this.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Manual has instructions for jumping the truck but (best I can tell) not the other way around.

If I need to use the Maverick as a booster vehicle should I open the cabin doors and go directly from the battery in order to make a connection to the negative terminal of the battery or should I use the ground point under the hood?
Great question!

Silver23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Jumper packs: great if you have one.

Even AAA tow trucks usually use those now.

Second choice? You can jump from your hybrid if you are careful and know what you are doing.
There is a point in here to not use your maverick to jump.
The OP ASKED IF you can.
(if you are careful and know what you are doing) if you have to ask...... ;)

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would not attempt to do so, way too many electronics to risk it. I carry a small jump-start power box, that can handle up to a 5.0L engine, and would offer use of that. - I'm the be-prepared type from the younger days of driving older used cars, and have a socket set, wheel chocks, medical kit, emergency space blanket, plug kit, tire inflator, work gloves, and more under the rear seat.
Sponsored