Sponsored

Jumping another vehicle FROM the Maverick hybrid?

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Manual has instructions for jumping the truck but (best I can tell) not the other way around.

If I need to use the Maverick as a booster vehicle should I open the cabin doors and go directly from the battery in order to make a connection to the negative terminal of the battery or should I use the ground point under the hood?
Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Manual has instructions for jumping the truck but (best I can tell) not the other way around.

If I need to use the Maverick as a booster vehicle should I open the cabin doors and go directly from the battery in order to make a connection to the negative terminal of the battery or should I use the ground point under the hood?
The manual specifically states to NOT connect anything to negative post so maybe the negative jump post under hood. I would doubt that the positive under the hood would handle the load. Best to use a stand alone jump box and not risk your maverick. You could keep it in your mav and keep in on a 20amp circuit.

OP
OP
Maverick Life

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The manual specifically states to NOT connect anything to negative post so maybe the negative jump post under hood. I would doubt that the positive under the hood would handle the load. Best to use a stand alone jump box and not risk your maverick. You could keep it in your mav and keep in on a 20amp circuit.
Is this the warning you're referring to?
Ford Maverick Jumping another vehicle FROM the Maverick hybrid? Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at 3.33.21 PM

If the positive terminal under the hood can handle the load for jumping the Maverick, it seems like it could handle the load for jumping another vehicle from the Maverick but I wouldn't bet the truck on it. I'm 100% with you on not risking the Maverick.

I went ahead and just hooked up the dead vehicle to a battery charger to be safe but it really bothers me that this isn't covered in the manual. It almost reads like the HEV Maverick can't be used to jump start another vehicle. I hope that's not the case.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is this the warning you're referring to?
Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at 3.33.21 PM.png

If the positive terminal under the hood can handle the load for jumping the Maverick, it seems like it could handle the load for jumping another vehicle from the Maverick but I wouldn't bet the truck on it. I'm 100% with you on not risking the Maverick.

I went ahead and just hooked up the dead vehicle to a battery charger to be safe but it really bothers me that this isn't covered in the manual. It almost reads like the HEV Maverick can't be used to jump start another vehicle. I hope that's not the case.
YES, it seems like the big concern is power flows can have negative effects on the BMS which is located on the negative battery post. From what some have posted the BMS needs to account for power flows in order to track battery condition. Jump box are just too cheap although I sprung for a NOCO bigger one that can do big v8 diesel multiple times. (Seems like I paid $120 on sale🤗!).

Sponsored

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I jumped another dead vehicle from the Maverick Hybrid back in May with no issue. I was still a greenhorn back then even. It was from under the hood. I wouldn't do it every day but it wasn't a problem at all.

P.S - It was a mountain biking family stuck in a hay field with a dead battery. Yes they got jumped and were happy about it. Easy as pie....

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Do not jump another vehicle with your Hybrid. Get/keep a jump box for jumping other vehicles, or yours. Keep it in the storage bin under the back seat. Take it out about twice a year and charge it.

IF you need to jump your Hybrid, only do it from the Jump Point under the hood, located under the red plastic cover on the driver's side. The Negative clamp goes to the bare metal bolt on the wheelwell, also on the driver's side under the hood.

Never connect anything directly to the 12v battery under the seat.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry, I refuse to jump another vehicle with these modern rolling computers we find ourselves driving now. My old 05 Ranger no problem, but not my Maverick or Jeep. I carry a 4.0 AH 2200A LifePro4 battery jumper in each and if for some reason that does not do the trick, then chances are my truck or Jeep would not have either. Besides, the battery in my Mav is prolly no better than 50% SOC anyhoo. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Maverick Life

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I jumped another dead vehicle from the Maverick Hybrid back in May with no issue. I was still a greenhorn back then even. It was from under the hood. I wouldn't do it every day but it wasn't a problem at all.

P.S - It was a mountain biking family stuck in a hay field with a dead battery. Yes they got jumped and were happy about it. Easy as pie....
Glad to hear it can be done. ...and good on ya for helping out a family in need!

Edit: followup: Do you remember where you connected the negative cable on the Maverick? ...also under the hood? Every vehicle manual we have indicates to connect the booster vehicle's negative battery terminal to the negative cable and then ground the other end of the cable on the dead vehicle's chasis to a grounding point.

Sponsored

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry, I refuse to jump another vehicle with these modern rolling computers we find ourselves driving now. My old 05 Ranger no problem, but not my Maverick or Jeep. I carry a 4.0 AH 2200A LifePro4 battery jumper in each and if for some reason that does not do the trick, then chances are my truck or Jeep would not have either. Besides, the battery in my Mav is prolly no better than 50% SOC anyhoo. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Well, I don't know how they do it in the Greens, but if you're stuck in the middle of backwoods Sugar Grove, WV, you get a jump from my Maverick Hybrid.🤠

Ford Maverick Jumping another vehicle FROM the Maverick hybrid? Capture19.JPG

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So if I need to charge my battery as I keep getting the sleep mode warning do I connect my trickle charger to the battery direct or to the ports under hood?
Never connect directly to the battery under the backseat. Always use the jump points under the hood for jumping or charging.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Do not jump another vehicle with your Hybrid. Get/keep a jump box for jumping other vehicles, or yours. Keep it in the storage bin under the back seat. Take it out about twice a year and charge it.

IF you need to jump your Hybrid, only do it from the Jump Point under the hood, located under the red plastic cover on the driver's side. The Negative clamp goes to the bare metal bolt on the wheelwell, also on the driver's side under the hood.

Never connect anything directly to the 12v battery under the seat.
Misleading info above.
If this is your first time jumping another car, yes, ask someone else to do it. For those with even a little experience...

A battery is a battery.

You could SAFELY and EFFECTIVELY jump another car

DIRECTLY FROM YOUR HYBRID UNDER SEAT BATTERY BUT YOU MUST BE WILLING AND ABLE TO DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE LEAD, and then, JUMP FROM THE BARE NEGATIVE TERMINAL.

This is super cautious as most of the time you'd be fine without disconnecting, but this would make it 100% safe for your truck. It bypasses the truck! The truck is out of the equation and it's not very hard to do.

You do not need to disconnect the red, positive terminal.

100% best answer.
Keep a tool in the truck, to loosen and remove the negative terminal along with your jumper cables.

You might not like to do this step for a stranger. But for friend or family member, or your "other" vehicle, certainly you could and would, and should.

You won't have the hybrid running in this case. And that's ok.

Also, since the hybrid "starts" from the HV battery, and the under-seat battery only needs to run computers; even if you drain it 90% doing several jump start attempts, it is still going to allow you to start your hybrid after you reattach the negative lead.

SAFE PLACE to attach a jumper in green.

BAD PLACE to attach a jumper, or accidentally have a jumper touch, in red. You don't want to fry that attached microchip that says "FoMoCo". So remove it. Then safe to jump from the battery.

Hope that helps clear things up for those with the skills to remove a terminal in an emergency.

If you could guarantee the jumper lead clips never touch the chip or to the downstream side of the chip, you wouldn't even need to remove it, as zero current would flow through the chip.

Ford Maverick Jumping another vehicle FROM the Maverick hybrid? IMG_9041

P.S. the white wire attached to the green zone is a wire to my trailer brake controller that takes like 5 watts and I use it 5 days a year. So I don't care if the chip doesn't count those 5 watts in my case. I didn't want to confuse you when yours doesn't have that.

Black is volt meter lead just in this photo I had from a long time ago.
Sponsored

Last edited: