JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Every manufacturer has something similar. It's just like station wagons l, colors that aren't grey, and manual cars: can't get 'em in the US because some corporate types long ago decided people in America only want large soul-less SUVs with automatic transmissions.

It's like when Ford cancelled the ranger a decade or two ago. It wasn't that people weren't buying rangers (and not that they stopped making them for overseas markets) they just realized if they stopped selling Rangers here, people would spend more money on an F150 or a large SUV and Ford gets more profit.

When they did finally bring back the Ranger it was the size the F150 was when Rangers first got discontinued here.
I'm talking about right now. Nothing's like the Ford Maverick. There's tons of CUVs in the same class, SUVs, etc etc... Why not more small hybrid trucks from other companies?

It'll be game over for the Maverick if Toyota made one. We're only tolerating this garbage because we are all riding on the dream of having a fuel efficient truck!

I'll give Ford the credit for this marvelous idea but their execution and qualities are really bad.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm sure Ford would build and ship more Mavericks if they had the parts to do so. These are circumstances outside their control. I can't fault then for that. Where I do fault them is for not better managing the ordering process and not better communicating with their customers and dealers.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

AznMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat Built 3-9-23, Chevy EUV, Lexus RX350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm talking about right now. Nothing's like the Ford Maverick. There's tons of CUVs in the same class, SUVs, etc etc... Why not more small hybrid trucks from other companies?

It'll be game over for the Maverick if Toyota made one. We're only tolerating this garbage because we are all riding on the dream of having a fuel efficient truck!

I'll give Ford the credit for this marvelous idea but their execution and qualities are really bad.

Not at their current production rates. Hybrids are like 2 years out gas engines 6-9 months out. Toyota just cut production by another 100k units. The wait for RAV4 prime is 2 years! They are having huge production issues. When it does come out it will be over priced probably in the $30k range for gas version and another $5k for hybrid setup. Ford beat Toyota at their own hybrid game which is crazy.

Sponsored

Greg_in_GA

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
Undecided
There is very little profit margin to be made on the Maverick, so competitors aren’t flocking to compete with it. Toyota will no-doubt enter the market, but at substantially higher margins.
The Maverick is in the same general price range as the Corolla is and no one calls the Corolla a loss leader.

If Ford is not making much money on the Maverick it could be largely because of how much they are spending on recalls and warranty work. That will likely be a lot lower for a company like Toyota if they come out with a small truck too.

If you do not get a base model Maverick it is also real easy to get the price up to $30K or more which I am sure could be real profitable for them. They are only planning on making 15% of the 2023 as the lower cost base model XL.

People often say that the Santa Cruz is a lot more expensive than the Maverick but it really isn't. The difference is that Hyundai basically requires you to buy a ten year extended warranty with it. If you price a similarly equipped Maverick with a similar extended warranty the Santa Cruz is real competitive on price.

OP
OP
JsnMrd

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not at their current production rates. Hybrids are like 2 years out gas engines 6-9 months out. Toyota just cut production by another 100k units. The wait for RAV4 prime is 2 years! They are having huge production issues. When it does come out it will be over priced probably in the $30k range for gas version and another $5k for hybrid setup. Ford beat Toyota at their own hybrid game which is crazy.
We all know that if Toyota came out with one at the same time, it'll be a different story for the Maverick.

I know it sounds like I'm hating but I just wish Ford made the Maverick a little bit more polished like their trucks quality wise. I mean Ford is widely known for their trucks so why make something sub standard. It didn't have to be a 20k truck!

I'm not talking about loading it with tons of features but more on a build quality.

I just wanna drive it, own it for a long time and put my trust on it that it'll perform what it is suppose to do.

Reactions: bgn

BradGroux

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Website
msft.expert
Vehicle(s)
2023 F-150 XLT Powerboost
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick is in the same general price range as the Corolla is and no one calls the Corolla a loss leader.

If Ford is not making much money on the Maverick it could be largely because of how much they are spending on recalls and warranty work. That will likely be a lot lower for a company like Toyota if they come out with a small truck too.

If you do not get a base model Maverick it is also real easy to get the price up to $30K or more which I am sure could be real profitable for them. They are only planning on making 15% of the 2023 as the lower cost base model XL.

People often say that the Santa Cruz is a lot more expensive than the Maverick but it really isn't. The difference is that Hyundai basically requires you to buy a ten year extended warranty with it. If you price a similarly equipped Maverick with a similar extended warranty the Santa Cruz is real competitive on price.
Toyota sells 1.5 million Corollas a year. Ford sold fewer than 100,000 Mavericks in their first year. Economy of scale is a thing.

On average, the Santa Cruz is about 20% more than a comparable Maverick. That is a hell of a lot of room for bigger profit margins.

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I agree 100%. I am waiting on Toyota, or anyone else, to make the Maverick look like junk in the mini truck market. Until then I will keep enjoying my Maverick since it competently does everything I needed a mini truck to do, for now. If it was not for Ford taking the risk (and failing to meet demand) there would not be others racing to offer something better. Bring it on soon, hopefully before my 2023 XLT Hybrid order is fulfilled.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

This is always my go-to argument when someone is trying to justify paying well over MSRP for a Maverick. The materials and the quality of the work just don't support a price tag anywhere in the ballpark of $40k and are only acceptable for $30k because it is a truck.

Sponsored

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm surprise no other companies are making something similar to the Maverick.

Maybe they think it'll be an epic failure. Or that this hybrid ship has sailed and it's all about the EVs
Hybrids will have staying power (pardon the pun). Many dealers are having to pay big bucks (millions) to their manufacturer to be able to sell EVs and many others are balking, thinking "I'll sell hybrids and PHEV instead". Backing their decision is many of their customers who are not onboard with EVs yet. Charging, range and infrastructure issues cause them to take a wait and see attitude.

AznMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat Built 3-9-23, Chevy EUV, Lexus RX350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We all know that if Toyota came out with one at the same time, it'll be a different story for the Maverick.

I know it sounds like I'm hating but I just wish Ford made the Maverick a little bit more polished like their trucks quality wise. I mean Ford is widely known for their trucks so why make something sub standard. It didn't have to be a 20k truck!

I'm not talking about loading it with tons of features but more on a build quality.

I just wanna drive it, own it for a long time and put my trust on it that it'll perform what it is suppose to do.

Yeah it would have toyota initial quality but Ford wanted to shock the world and built a truck to hit a price point. Ford knows trucks so I trust them to make a reliable truck even at $20k maybe not have the polish of a toyota but if people can save $5k especially in this bad economic climate they will take it in exchange for something that's less polished. I sold my CR-V for this maverick because of MPG and out of curiosity of owning a truck since I've never had one before. I wouldn't pay $5k extra for a toyota version since it wouldn't be worth it. I think the delta will be much greater as toyota charges extra for the upgrade to a hybrid vs ford having it standard as the base powertrain. Would not surprise me if a toyota hybrid version would ask $10k more than the base XL. TBH this may be my entry to a PHEV ranger which would be awesome or even just a hybrid ranger. PHEV ranger with at least 30 miles range would be fantastic.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yeah it would have toyota initial quality but Ford wanted to shock the world and built a truck to hit a price point. Ford knows trucks so I trust them to make a reliable truck even at $20k maybe not have the polish of a toyota but if people can save $5k especially in this bad economic climate they will take it in exchange for something that's less polished. I sold my CR-V for this maverick because of MPG and out of curiosity of owning a truck since I've never had one before. I wouldn't pay $5k extra for a toyota version since it wouldn't be worth it. I think the delta will be much greater as toyota charges extra for the upgrade to a hybrid vs ford having it standard as the base powertrain. Would not surprise me if a toyota hybrid version would ask $10k more than the base XL. TBH this may be my entry to a PHEV ranger which would be awesome or even just a hybrid ranger. PHEV ranger with at least 30 miles range would be fantastic.
Well spoken. I'm going for simple and basic and the Maverick fits the bill. Without breaking the bank both of them are going to be obsolete in a decade so........
Only, I don't have my Maverick yet, still doing the build date dance.
Sponsored