JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm surprise no other companies are making something similar to the Maverick.

Maybe they think it'll be an epic failure. Or that this hybrid ship has sailed and it's all about the EVs
Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
why are you surprised after everything that has happened globally since 2019 and add a war & economic slump in now too. It takes a huge $ investment and time to make a new vehicle and get it to market. I don't know the sales numbers for SC, but Maverick shows there's a business case for a compact- the other companies like Toyota and GM sell huge amounts of mid-size trucks which Ford wasn't so I doubt they just dive in to compete unless they have really favorable in-house research showing it could make a profit.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are other companies building small "utes" in Australia, South America, Mexico, and other countries but because of the "chicken tax" they haven't brought them to the U.S. It wouldn't take much to modify these, maybe even as hybrids, and compete with Ford. Don't think that Ford will have this market to themselves for long.

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
I'm surprise no other companies are making something similar to the Maverick.

Maybe they think it'll be an epic failure. Or that this hybrid ship has sailed and it's all about the EVs

Every manufacturer has something similar. It's just like station wagons l, colors that aren't grey, and manual cars: can't get 'em in the US because some corporate types long ago decided people in America only want large soul-less SUVs with automatic transmissions.

It's like when Ford cancelled the ranger a decade or two ago. It wasn't that people weren't buying rangers (and not that they stopped making them for overseas markets) they just realized if they stopped selling Rangers here, people would spend more money on an F150 or a large SUV and Ford gets more profit.

When they did finally bring back the Ranger it was the size the F150 was when Rangers first got discontinued here.

BradGroux

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Website
msft.expert
Vehicle(s)
2023 F-150 XLT Powerboost
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The competition is coming, but you have to also look at the market segment.

There is very little profit margin to be made on the Maverick, so competitors aren’t flocking to compete with it. Toyota will no-doubt enter the market, but at substantially higher margins. Nissan is another brand likely looking to compete, and maybe GM. Hyundai is obviously already there, but at those higher margins.

Ford is using the Maverick as a brand entry model… they want first time Ford/Truck buyers to eventually upgrade to a Ranger, F150, or another more profitable Ford model. It is a brilliant marketing move that could pay off big, but it won’t pay off big overnight. They are playing the long game.

Of course, their current issues with ordering and delivery are also working against them. I have no doubt many first time Ford buyers would jump ship to Toyota in a heartbeat when they enter the market because they seem to be more streamlined than Ford when it comes to ordering and delivery.

Right now Ford is its own worst enemy. They have amazing innovation, and their decades-old operational issues are stifling that innovation at the moment. Their issues go beyond resource constraints.

Sponsored

riverrat373

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Escape, 2009 Ford f150 Supercab 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Every manufacturer has something similar. It's just like station wagons l, colors that aren't grey, and manual cars: can't get 'em in the US because some corporate types long ago decided people in America only want large soul-less SUVs with automatic transmissions.
I like automatic transmissions. :giggle:

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Pretty much every other manufacturer has a similar vehicle. But they are in other countries and the styling will not work for the American market. I mean sure, Ram could bring over their European small truck today. But without some rework of the body style, it would be laughed out of showrooms despite it fundamentally being the exact same thing as a Maverick.

It's not quite so plug-and-play and until the Maverick, there was no evidence it was a winning strategy.

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
I like automatic transmissions. :giggle:

Lots of people do... But there is a market for manuals if someone would make them. It's like the civics. The few manuals they make sell out instantly and the cvts sit on the lot forever.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are other companies building small "utes" in Australia, South America, Mexico, and other countries but because of the "chicken tax" they haven't brought them to the U.S. It wouldn't take much to modify these, maybe even as hybrids, and compete with Ford. Don't think that Ford will have this market to themselves for long.
we all know about those Utes in other countries. I'm not so sure " It wouldn't take much to modify these" either. In the past the redesigning to meet USA safety and emission standards for import was cost prohibitive. An example was VW choosing to take the Beetle out of US market after 1974, but manufacturing and selling south of border for many years afterwards. As far as avoiding "Chicken Tax" that is why so many manufacturers established manufacturing in USA- no importing issues. If anybody is going to build a competitor for low budget Mavericks, IMO it will be in a factory already in USA. Of course I could be wrong.

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
Reminder, this almost came to the US market and if rumors are to be believed, only reason it didn't is because Ford/VW were working on some other projects together and Ford asked VW not to release it here. I believe in other parts of the word Ford trucks will be rebadged and sold as VW.

And yes, that's a midgate. Folds down so bed expands into back seat. Built in roof rack rails too. Oh yes, and available manual transmission was supposed to be an option. I would have gone with this instead of the Maverick personally, even though it wasn't a hybrid.

People in South America, and Africa get to enjoy this instead of us.

Last edited:
Sponsored

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For those of you who were rusty on the Chicken Tax, I Googled it.

"The Chicken Tax is a 25% tariff on light trucks imported to the U.S. The United States imposed the tariff in 1964 in an executive order issued by President Lyndon Johnson as retaliation for European tariffs on American chicken imports. In the years since then, trade barriers have fallen, and the average U.S. tariff rate on industrial imports stands at 2% as of 2022, according to U.S. government figures. But the Chicken Tax still stands. "

BradGroux

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Website
msft.expert
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Reminder, this almost came to the US market and if rumors are to be believed, only reason it didn't is because Ford/VW were working on some other projects together and Ford asked VW not to release it here. I believe in other parts of the word Ford trucks will be rebadged and sold as VW.

And yes, that's a midgate. Folds down so bed expands into back seat. Built in roof rack rails too. Oh yes, and available manual transmission was supposed to be an option. I would have gone with this instead of the Maverick personally, even though it wasn't a hybrid.

People in South America, and Africa get to enjoy this instead of us.

Even with the mid gate, that bed is way too short for the US market. VW’s brand still struggles state-side due to the fuel mileage debacle… their resell values are still rock bottom here.

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
Even with the mid gate, that bed is way too short for the US market. VW’s brand still struggles state-side due to the fuel mileage debacle… their resell values are still rock bottom here.

I believe with the midgate it was a 6ft bed. It really all depends what you're putting back there. Dirt bike or large box like items, it wouldn't be as handy as a Maverick. For a kayak, skiis, 2x4s, it would be better than a Maverick.

As a kayaker/amateur DIYer the VW would have suited me better and been exactly what I need. Understandably, other people it wouldn't have worked for... Like those who transport bikes or want more volume for rocks or dirt.

Last edited:

BradGroux

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Website
msft.expert
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe with the midgate it was a 6ft bed.
A good portion of Americans buying Mavericks are doing it as their first outdoors vehicles. Hard to be outdoors as a family when half of the passenger compartment is useless when hauling.

America has a unique geographic landscape. We can never get enough storage; it is why cars are going the way of the dodo. Not to mention so many of our climates would be terrible for a midgate. Large SUVs, hatchbacks and wagons already exist for this reason... heating and A/C. I can't imagine hauling with a midgate in Houston. It would suck for 5-6 months out of year.

I'm not saying that there wouldn't be some folks who would buy the VW truck as-is, but I think they'd have a very limited appeal. VW and Ford have kind of shown this with the Amarok, which is Ranger-sized, and has standard truck proportions.

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
A good portion of Americans buying Mavericks are doing it as their first outdoors vehicles. Hard to be outdoors as a family when half of the passenger compartment is useless when hauling.

America has a unique geographic landscape. We can never get enough storage; it is why cars are going the way of the dodo. Not to mention so many of our climates would be terrible for a midgate. Large SUVs, hatchbacks and wagons already exist for this reason... heating and A/C. I can't imagine hauling with a midgate in Houston. It would suck for 5-6 months out of year.

I'm not saying that there wouldn't be some folks who would buy the VW truck as-is, but I think they'd have a very limited appeal. VW and Ford have kind of shown this with the Amarok, which is Ranger-sized, and has standard truck proportions.

Well, Car makers were saying that there wouldn't be enough people wanting a small truck until the Maverick came out and Ford can't keep up. I think VW would have sold much better than Santa Cruz, but ultimately perhaps not as well as the Maverick has. There's definitely a market for it. It would give more market diversity if we had the Mav and the Tarok as opposed to the Mav and the Santa Cruz.

A lot of people buying the Maverick have even said they wish they could have bought something smaller. There's a lot of nostalgia for the smaller trucks of the 90's. I think for many (but I agree not all) the VW would have been better as a daily-driver and as a truck to haul kayaks and adventure gear... But no, it couldn't haul a family AND have the midgate down at the same time, but for many people that wouldn't have been a problem. Not everyone needs a 6' bed and five passengers at the same time.

The Maverick isn't a small vehicle, it's still larger than a lot on the road, it's just small for a modern truck (bigger than my '99 Ranger) and yet, the Maverick itself has a small bed.

As you said with the Amarok... It is Ranger proportioned, so doesn't really differentiate itself from an established truck in that class by much. The Tarok is different from anything else out there live or concept.
Sponsored

Last edited: