Sponsored

Is FX4 4k now considered worth it with Forscan?

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To me FX4 is a good get. 4k tow is a good get. But 4k tow and FX4 have enough similarities that together they are less stellar. Personally I'm just getting FX4. I don't to big tow often enough for a trailer brake. And the FX4 has a hitch and the radiator upgrade. All that's really missing is the trailer brake controller. A uhaul trailer has those brakes built in. And you can add a brake controller easy enough. I'd get the FX4 if you don't plan to tow big often and have more flexibility. To me FX4 is a no brainer add.
pretty sure in other discussions on this it was mentioned the non 4k tow hitch has flat 4 pin connecter while 4k tow comes with 7 pin because of the brake controller. Don't think the wiring is there for the brake controller either. You must have the AWD to get 4k tow, and I never checked if FX-4 is available on FWD? FWIW, I was only interested in 2.0 ECO AWD 4k tow and not so much the lifted w/bigger tires + screen and FX-4 decals look- especially if it was FWD only. YMMV.
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You must have the AWD to get 4k tow, and I never checked if FX-4 is available on FWD? FWIW, I was only interested in 2.0 ECO AWD 4k tow and not so much the lifted w/bigger tires + screen and FX-4 decals look- especially if it was FWD only. YMMV.
2WD offroad package would be 'FX2' in Ford parlance.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
pretty sure in other discussions on this it was mentioned the non 4k tow hitch has flat 4 pin connecter while 4k tow comes with 7 pin because of the brake controller. Don't think the wiring is there for the brake controller either. You must have the AWD to get 4k tow, and I never checked if FX-4 is available on FWD? FWIW, I was only interested in 2.0 ECO AWD 4k tow and not so much the lifted w/bigger tires + screen and FX-4 decals look- especially if it was FWD only. YMMV.
FX4 only O AWD. Correct, FX4 only has 4 pin connector. But if you don't tow frequently doubt you need a 7 pin. If you do, not hard to add wiring, and they make a wireless controller so that isn't even that tough. Unless you plan on towing big stuff often, FX4 seems a better pick up of the two.

Nighowl2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
These are the differences:

Ford Maverick Is FX4 4k now considered worth it with Forscan? Capture2.PNG

Ford Maverick Is FX4 4k now considered worth it with Forscan? Capture.PNG

Deleted member 6544

I got the FX4 package basically because I loved the wheels. And it came with the bigger screen and the tow hooks break up the front lower fascia. Can't go wrong with the heavy duty radiator either. I actually took off the FX4 decals. To your point the FORScan can be used to unlock the eco and sport drive modes. Love it
Thanks to JimCT I now have eco and sport. Can't wait to filler up with 93 and see how she goes in sport mode!

Sponsored

CSmith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I understand that the major features found in the 4K and not in the FX4 are the trailer brake controller, taller axle ratio, Class III hitch (5K rating) and transmission oil cooler.

The difference in final gear ratios between all three variants (including Hybrid) is:
Hybrid = 2.91:1 (with CVT)
Ecoboost = 3.63 standard/3.81 with 4K Trailer Tow Pkg (with 8 speed)

I mention that because the axle ratio difference between the FX4 and 4K isn't that great. You would need a bit more throttle response from the FX4 to move the same sized load. That means more strain on engine and transmission.

Usually, MPG is affected by taller axle ratios yet the Ecoboost MPG for FX4 and 4K are the same. This means that the gear ratio is not significantly different or that Ford used the 4K MPG for the Ecoboost engine variants.

I believe the real drawback to towing more than 2K with the FX4 is the lack of a transmission oil cooler. That transmission can be worked mighty hard off-roading so why didn't Ford include it? I can only guess that the duration of the "work" off-roading is shorter than the "work" in towing. Also that the FX4 is really meant for "light" off-roading as well.

You also can void your warranty if you have a transmission failure if found you exceeded the max tow weight.

Also, how many utility trailers come with trailer brakes? Even the U-Haul 5x8 cargo trailer, with a weight rating of 2,900 pounds, doesn't have trailer brakes. The FX4 should be able to tow that with a transmission oil cooler added - if U-Haul would rent it to me.

I really think Ford undervalued the towing capacity of the FX4 to encourage purchase of the 4K tow package.

All that said, my plan is to get the FX4 and add a transmission oil cooler. With that addition I feel I should be able to comfortably tow 3,500 pounds - which is the Class II hitch rating. I'll take the risk...

Last edited:

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I understand that the major features found in the 4K and not in the FX4 are the trailer brake controller, taller axle ratio, and transmission oil cooler.

The difference in final gear ratios between all three variants (including Hybrid) is:

I mention that because the axle ratio difference between the FX4 and 4K isn't that great. You would need a bit more throttle response from the FX4 to move the same sized load. That means more strain on engine and transmission.

Usually, MPG is affected by taller axle ratios yet the Ecoboost MPG for FX4 and 4K are the same. This means that the gear ratio is not significantly different or that Ford used the 4K MPG for the Ecoboost engine variants.

I believe the real drawback to towing more than 2K with the FX4 is the lack of a transmission oil cooler. That transmission can be worked mighty hard off-roading so why didn't Ford include it? I can only guess that the duration of the "work" off-roading is shorter than the "work" in towing. Also that the FX4 is really meant for "light" off-roading as well.

You also can void your warranty if you have a transmission failure if found you exceeded the max tow weight.

Also, how many utility trailers come with trailer brakes? Even the U-Haul 5x8 cargo trailer, with a weight rating of 2,900 pounds, doesn't have trailer brakes. The FX4 should be able to tow that with a transmission oil cooler added - if U-Haul would rent it to me.

I really think Ford undervalued the towing capacity of the FX4 to encourage purchase of the 4K tow package.

All that said, my plan is to get the FX4 and add a transmission oil cooler. With that addition I feel I should be able to comfortably tow 4K. I'll take the risk...
You'll still need to change the hitch receiver. Unless you buy the tow package which has a class III hitch the Maverick comes with a class II hitch otherwise. .

GadgetDad

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick - Alto Blue FX4 4k Tow Lariat Lux 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
These are the differences:

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG
Funny how your picture shows "Sport" as an option for drive mode even though it was left off - Part of the main point on the thread. I was hesitant to add it back on wondering if there were any potential negative effects due to the different gear ratios... Not smart enough to know if this is really an issue. Yet, this makes me feel more confident if Ford marketed a sport mode for the FX4. Now I need to find someone with FORScan around me that I can buy a few beers for to hook me up.

CSmith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You'll still need to change the hitch receiver. Unless you buy the tow package which has a class III hitch the Maverick comes with a class II hitch otherwise. .
Very good point and one I overlooked. I also edited my original post.

The class II handles up to 3,500 pounds which is sufficient for my purposes. I currently have a tractor supply 5.5 x 10 utility trailer with with a GVWR of 2,990 pounds so it would work. I don't think I've ever come near putting near the 2K max weight on it.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I understand that the major features found in the 4K and not in the FX4 are the trailer brake controller, taller axle ratio, and transmission oil cooler.

All that said, my plan is to get the FX4 and add a transmission oil cooler. With that addition I feel I should be able to comfortably tow 4K. I'll take the risk...
I just had a 6x10 utility trailer built. All Aluminum construction and 2900lb Dexter single axle with electric brakes and 7 pin wiring. Will mate perfectly with my Maverick with 4k towing package ;)

Sponsored

CSmith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just had a 6x10 utility trailer built. All Aluminum construction and 2900lb Dexter single axle with electric brakes and 7 pin wiring. Will mate perfectly with my Maverick with 4k towing package ;)
That sounds like a great trailer! I'm cheap and not planning to go custom with a trailer. My wife's 2020 F150 FX4 with tow package will pull 12,500 for livestock trailers as needed. I'm just figuring out how to make sure the Mav I've ordered can tow that little utility trailer!

Deleted member 6544

Now I need to find someone with FORScan around me that I can buy a few beers for to hook me up.
I was very fortunate to find a fella that lives about 25 minutes from me. And it only cost 1 beer! But it's an open tab for Jim :ROFLMAO:

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That sounds like a great trailer! I'm cheap and not planning to go custom with a trailer. My wife's 2020 F150 FX4 with tow package will pull 12,500 for livestock trailers as needed. I'm just figuring out how to make sure the Mav I've ordered can tow that little utility trailer!
I hope so! I have to drive all the way to Michigan to fetch it and bring home. There was nothing comparable on local lots so ordering was the only option. We also have an F150 for heavy towing like my wife's horse trailer and a big box for off-road toys, but this little 1 is for picking up loads of hay, dump runs and landscaping and construction materials for home projects and everyday uses like hauling my motorcycles to go riding, etc. It will probably last longer than I will :D
Sponsored