Sponsored

It is worth getting both 4K Tow and Fx4?

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If your an in city kind of guy / mall crawler, than dont bother with FX4. But I have had skid plates on my (Jeep‘s) for the past 20 yrs and would not go without skid plates even if it just for a couple of hunting or fishing or camping trips off road a few times a year. My hope is that the Tremor has some extra protection that I can add to my FX4, those plates on my jeeps saved my bacon more than once! I just wish I could get the felt liners that run along the undersides of the Maverick stamped out of metal, that would be the cats ass!
The problem with those metal skid plates they offer on the FX4 package far as I've been able to find is that Ford hasn't made them available to order through the parts departments at the dealers. Also no one to my knowledge has yet made an aftermarket skid plate either for the Maverick. You'd have to fabricate your own right now if wanted to retrofit one on a non FX4 build.
Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know there are a few posts on this same subject but wanted to throw it out here again.
I ordered a Area 51, Ecoboost AWD Lariat, Lux Pkg, 4K Tow, Black Appearance Pkg., 360 Assist. Basically about every option. We'll see if I ever see it.............
About my question-
1- Is it worth also adding the Fx4 and get the "other options" that I'm not getting with the 4K and Lariat pkg??? Since some are duplicates. I do like the idea of some type of skid plates underneath it. I know the shocks are different but not sure what else.
I'm not sure it I'd end up with the Fx4 17" rims or the 18" that come with the black appearance pkg. I'd be pissed if I got the 17".........
So, any input would be appreciated.
The shocks on the FX4 are monotube shocks. If you really think you need them you can order those through the dealer and change out the twin tube shocks. The tow hooks you'd have to look at the underside to see if they can be added afterwards. The shielding around the gas tank is different also for FX4/Tremor builds.

The drive modes for FX4 and since the Lux package has the 6inch cluster also the offroad screen can be turned on afterwards using forscan. There are threads on this site how to do that.

The one feature of FX4 I don't know if you can enable it on your build is the Hill Descent Control. Unless you are driving down steep declines and need the equivalent of a low speed cruise control it is not a necessary feature.

The one feature of FX4/Tremor builds you won't be able to easily upgrade is from the plastic underbody shield to the metal skid plate. There is no so far Ford offered replacement part for it and no aftermarket options yet. You'd have to fabricate one yourself.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The 4k tow question seems pretty easy-do you every plan to tow anything any significant distance? Yes? Get it. No? Don't need it.

I think for sanity if you plan to do really any towing (beyond a light cargo trailer), 4K is a good to have. My understanding is that the 2k or 4k number includes all people and cargo loaded in the truck as well as that being towed behind. So even for a light teardrop camper, it may make a great deal of sense to just get the 4k to make sure you're solid throughout the entire trip.

FX4 or BAP I suppose depends on what out of it that you want. I think FX4 is pretty solidly worth the add-on price for it, and if you want the stuff in BAP, that also talks for itself. If you think these are just extras, then go without, plenty of people do, and have.
If you want a Maverick that is roughly equivalent to any low end Ranger get the 4k tow package. Entry level Rangers are only rated for 3500 lbs and around 1000 lbs payload while a 4k tow Maverick is 4000 lbs towing and 1500 lbs of payload. It will also cost you less and have better MPG than what you'd pay for a similarly equipped Ranger.

matmondro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered both the FX4 and 4K Tow Pkg for many of the same reasons listed above. I do occasionally go off roading (mostly on forestry trails) and sometimes need to tow a small trailer. The price of the packages honestly I didn't think was too bad, kind of a good value based on the additional parts below. If you do any light off roading or towing, it might not be a bad idea to have

With both packages you collectively get an upgraded radiator, transmission oil cooler, upgraded shocks, skid plates, and additional drive modes.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered FX4 and 4k. Tow hooks, skid plates, wheels/tires on the FX4 drove that decision. Ability to tow a light camper or utility trailer with side by side drove 4k. Would have gone with Tremor if I didn't want the 4k.

Sponsored

dcs12345

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The problem with those metal skid plates they offer on the FX4 package far as I've been able to find is that Ford hasn't made them available to order through the parts departments at the dealers. Also no one to my knowledge has yet made an aftermarket skid plate either for the Maverick. You'd have to fabricate your own right now if wanted to retrofit one on a non FX4 build.
I really hope someone makes an aftermarket skid plate that has better oil filter access...
Sponsored