If you build out your engine...

Bigcanoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4, Ford F150
Engine
Undecided
Will AWD be better for keeping the tires on the ground and using the additional power? Kind of like the VW GTI vs the Golf R?
Sponsored

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD Maverick XL, 2004 Insight Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It really doesn't matter if you have "extra" power or not, having the rear wheels engage will always be a net positive on traction. Your question is very confusing.

OP
OP

Bigcanoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4, Ford F150
Engine
Undecided
You think? Even on dry roads? I know with a tuned GTI the FWD can spin pretty easy and with no AWD its a power loss.

Sponsored

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD Maverick XL, 2004 Insight Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
it's not a power loss, it's an acceleration loss. I'm still confused on what you are actually asking.

From what I have gathered, the AWD adapts so fast, you won't even notice the front spinning before the rear kicks in, on these trucks.

Even with my CR-V, which only sends about 15% to the rear, it's better than just FWD.

OP
OP

Bigcanoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4, Ford F150
Engine
Undecided
it's not a power loss, it's an acceleration loss. I'm still confused on what you are actually asking.

From what I have gathered, the AWD adapts so fast, you won't even notice the front spinning before the rear kicks in, on these trucks.

Even with my CR-V, which only sends about 15% to the rear, it's better than just FWD.
I am trying to decide if AWD is worth it for me I guess. I dont have much snow or ice, and FWD would be probably good enough. But just curious if I was to tune the engine or something if I might find I miss not having it. Just options!

whtnrdy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 AWD Astro, '90 G20 Van, '22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am trying to decide if AWD is worth it for me I guess. I dont have much snow or ice, and FWD would be probably good enough. But just curious if I was to tune the engine or something if I might find I miss not having it. Just options!
Depends on what you exactly mean by building it out, and what your application will be for using that extra power. The AWD in the R is going to be more for handling tracks, not straight line. And I also would assume that the AWD in the Golf R is designed specifically for performance on the track (not snow), which the Maverick system would not be.

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP

Bigcanoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4, Ford F150
Engine
Undecided
Depends on what you exactly mean by building it out, and what your application will be for using that extra power. The AWD in the R is going to be more for handling tracks, not straight line. And I also would assume that the AWD in the Golf R is designed specifically for performance on the track (not snow), which the Maverick system would not be.
I read the suspension was different for the rear (obviously) with the AWD too. So it may handle better on the curves.

Sponsored

whtnrdy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 AWD Astro, '90 G20 Van, '22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I read the suspension was different for the rear (obviously) with the AWD too. So it may handle better on the curves.
Yes, the FWD is a torsion bar system so the AWD's fully independent rear would be an improvement.

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, you want awd if maximum forward momentum is your goal. There was a FWD test drive video where they smashed the gas w traction control off and it spun the tires a lot stock.

Now, if you like to do freeway pulls from 50 in Mexico, then you might be ok w some sticky front tires or drag radials if you run a big turbo.

Kriston

First Name
Kriston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
definately not gonna want fwd if you want to put any serious power down. im spinning all four with the slightest amount of dust on the road.

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
Will AWD be better for keeping the tires on the ground and using the additional power? Kind of like the VW GTI vs the Golf R?
Put it this way, if you think you will " build " it out to 300hp or more, get AWD

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Doesn’t AWD kick out over a certain speed and back in under a certain speed? Otherwise it would be 4WD.

Just curious 🤨
Sponsored