First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The transmission is a 8f35, with a torque rating of 350 nm. 350 nm is equal to 258 ft lbs, and the Maverick is rated at 277 ft lbs, not sure how this is right, lol.
Good research. I'm betting the engine has rated at 277, but limited by the computer to not exceed the specifications of the transmission.

Furthermore, bumping to >300 ft/lbs without a modification to the transmission sounds like a bad idea, or at least expensive idea, to me.
Sponsored

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2.3 block is weak. The 2.0 is stronger and will handle more boost. The 2.3 rotating assembly drops right in the 2.0 block.
I know I’m late but being the internet people will see this and think you are correct. Sorry but you have fallen victim to falsehoods.

First I had a 2.3 in my rs. Many of these engines failed do to lspi before anyone knew what was going on. So what many shops where doing was building off a 2.0 block to build big power. Why would they do this? Because they could build it without any major machine work for a deck brace.
Bottom line is many people have run the 2.3 stock engine over 420whp for a long time and had zero issues. So it’s not weak. That is false in fact if you were to call two of the bigger and probably best engine builders map and Livernois they both do large hp builds on 2.3 blocks.
but yes 2.0 is easier and can drop 2.3 internals in. But cooling can be an issue with the lack of fluid around the cylinder.

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As for the post I happen to have a complete 2.3 long block out of an rs and the turbo. Boy would it be fun.
but I have yet to even get my maverick.

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know I’m late but being the internet people will see this and think you are correct. Sorry but you have fallen victim to falsehoods.

First I had a 2.3 in my rs. Many of these engines failed do to lspi before anyone knew what was going on. So what many shops where doing was building off a 2.0 block to build big power. Why would they do this? Because they could build it without any major machine work for a deck brace.
Bottom line is many people have run the 2.3 stock engine over 420whp for a long time and had zero issues. So it’s not weak. That is false in fact if you were to call two of the bigger and probably best engine builders map and Livernois they both do large hp builds on 2.3 blocks.
but yes 2.0 is easier and can drop 2.3 internals in. But cooling can be an issue with the lack of fluid around the cylinder.
Well you'd be wrong. The 2.3 block in the mustang is absolute garbage. 450 hp lol. That's weak. If im building a 4 cylinder it is going to be 600+ hp and yes I know plenty of them. I have 2 that are local and use 2.0 blocks and make 700+.

Vtec87pr1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 XL Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Im in the process to build one 2.0 . But cant find parts to build the maverick yet.

Sponsored

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well you'd be wrong. The 2.3 block in the mustang is absolute garbage. 450 hp lol. That's weak. If im building a 4 cylinder it is going to be 600+ hp and yes I know plenty of them. I have 2 that are local and use 2.0 blocks and make 700+.
Ok you do you. I’ve only been working with 2.3 builds for a quite a while.
first off you show how little you have researched with a 600hp 2.0. I explained why shops do a 2.0 because it’s easier. But if you are building a 600hp 2.0 you are doing a full build. Which means why not a 2.3 with a proper brace. That allows proper cooling.
Second I think you know a whopping 2 600 hp 2.0. Is that crank if so I’m way past that with my 2.3.
In fact I know many well over that is going crank numbers. If you are talking wheel hp. Awsome but not hard on a long block build but you need such a large turbo they drive like shit.

Lastly I’m so glad random dude on the internet is telling everyone the best way to build a 600 hp 2.3 or 2.0. Definitely better to listen to someone who hasn’t done one ever but knows of one over say MaP performance or Livernois who would say 600hp? lol.
Both those companies have had some insane hp builds that last a long time.
If you where ever serious about one go check out the rs forums and the difference on proper build blocks is broke down by many people including actual engineers. Or simple phone calls to say Livernois or montune. Or Map.
All 3 are considered leaders in the ecoboost but I’m sure you have it figured out.

Nothing i said is not correct. Can you build a great 2.0 yes. They are easy to swap parts and the block is very good. But most people will never crack the 420-450whp level because we just don’t have turbos big enough offered. Even the upgraded ranger one is gonna struggle to put that down at the wheels. So the stock 2.3 is a direct drop in.
But if you want a built motor that mean big money and work so why not do it correctly with a 2.3?

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Keep in mind when someone decides to build a package capable of over 500whp at the wheels they are investing a ton of money.
Lots of people have done that including me. I did a mountain of research before I dropped close to 20k for my build. So yes I’m well versed in this topic. Several popped up using 2.0 blocks some last some don’t. But I have not heard of anyone with a 2.3 from the companies I listed not lasting a long while.
Again a 2.0 is not a terrible option so I don’t want to say that won’t work for a build but for you to say I’m wrong is not a true statement.
Plus the thread was about dropping in a found 2.3 to build some extra power over the 2.0 in the maverick.
So based on that statement how would a 2.0 be any better? Smaller displacement? Yep.
Big difference in doing a full build and what these guys are talking about.
When the first maverick actually puts down 420-450whp and it last more than just the dyno session. Then we could revisit the long block discussion along with the entire drivetrain.

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just gonna leave this here also. That way you don’t think I’m just that guy online that knows nothing.
This dude was running the ford 2.3 block up to 800whp and switched to the Mazda one past that. Dig and read his back story he also said the 2.0 block would give up before the 2.3 block built correctly would.
So if you dont believe one guy that’s done it right with a 2.3.maybe this guy who has everyone of us beat can help enlighten you.
Sponsored