Sponsored

If we cant get hybrid engine why do we have to pay for the eco boost engine.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Heard the Santa Cruz comes with a free engine, maybe you should check them out….. if you’re a good negotiator you could probably get them to throw in some free air for the tires.
I won't settle for anything less than 80% nitrogen. Good day sir!
Sponsored

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Like it says in title,why is this.i guess i just don’t understand but the truck has to have a engine.when they cant supply the standard engine how can the company charge you for a motor?
Most manufacturers release the more expensive model first. Look at the Hummer EV. The “base” version won’t be available for another 3 years!

They don’t have to release the base model at the same time.
And keep in mind Ford is trying to get the hybrid models rolled out asap. The logistics of it aren’t as easy as people think.
January isn’t that far away.

And no, they aren’t going to sell the 2.0 model for the same price as the hybrid. It’s a business, not the government.

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
I follow your logic and understand. Here is a story to help you out . .I worked at an assembly plant and they ran out of dull chrome rims. Now the vehicle could have been purchased with a more expensive chrome package. But the dull rims actually cost more to make as there was an added process to acid etch the chrome rims. . .So what did the OEM do? Substituted the dull chrome rims for an even more expensive painted aluminum rim. Why? because they up sold a chrome package with the chrome rims and did not want to cut into the profit within that option package.

Basically, OEM had a chrome rim package that cost the consumer more then the package with dull rims. The OEM paid more money for dull rims as they acid etched the chrome rims to make them less desirable to the consumer.

Same company sold 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder suvs. Demand for 4 cylinder was way more then they could make, so they pushes sales of 6 cylinder as upgraded option.

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I follow your logic and understand. Here is a story to help you out . .I worked at an assembly plant and they ran out of dull chrome rims. Now the vehicle could have been purchased with a more expensive chrome package. But the dull rims actually cost more to make as there was an added process to acid etch the chrome rims. . .So what did the OEM do? Substituted the dull chrome rims for an even more expensive painted aluminum rim. Why? because they up sold a chrome package with the chrome rims and did not want to cut into the profit within that option package.

Basically, OEM had a chrome rim package that cost the consumer more then the package with dull rims. The OEM paid more money for dull rims as they acid etched the chrome rims to make them less desirable to the consumer.

Same company sold 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder suvs. Demand for 4 cylinder was way more then they could make, so they pushes sales of 6 cylinder as upgraded option.
Finally someone who gets it.

There are costs TO FORD caused by the Hybrid availability delay. This includes lost sales due to customers not willing to wait (offset partially by some customers switching to the EB variant), inventory build up of Hybrid-only parts (cost of the parts, cost of storage, possible impacts due to damaged inventory), and a ton of other factors.

We (being outside of the decision making process) have limited understanding of these factors, but I would guess that someone someplace within Ford has done some analysis given the Hybrid delay. There is an assumption that the Hybrid power train is "cheaper" for Ford to utilize than the EB, but that may simply be untrue. We just don't know (well at least I don't).

To those just jumping on the OP, I get it, people today seem to want things for free. But I would suggest taking it easy on the assumption that substituting the EB would be financially detrimental to Ford. (If I had to guess, I would agree ...but it would just be a guess).

Signed,

Long ago Econ Major and someone who has done tons of financial analysis.

Also a Ford stockholder, so thanks to all for your support. :)

Sponsored

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The OKTB for the Hybrid can't come soon enough as these really dumb posts seem to crop up right and left. When one gets squashed another appears.
Notice the OKTB for the eco was in Sept soon after EPA mpg was released but not so with the hybrid. Maybe the added delay is because something is up with the hybrid that Ford engineers need time to fix.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't understand the economy.
I don't understand the auto industry.
I don't understand supply chain logistics.
I don't understand government regulation.

I only understand what I want. GIVE ME WHAT I WANT!!!
Read my "puckered" govt regulated economically de-enhanced supply chained industrial lips "muscmuscmusckkk NOT YET!"

MimiE

First Name
Mitzi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Also a Ford stockholder, so thanks to all for your support.

Me too. Thanks y'all.

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don’t think it being sold out for the first production year is “lost sales”…
There is plenty of evidence even on this forum of people buying a different vehicle. That, by definition, is a lost sale. I do understand your argument "they sold out" i.e. they sold (will sell) all they can make. Then the question becomes "Could we have made more"? and "Should the price be higher"? On the first question, stoppage's in production due to parts being unavailable are undesirable. So the question then becomes could they have sold MORE if the mix was different, and what is the marginal cost vs marginal revenue of that mix vs. what they have now with the current pricing structure. For example, if the Hybrid hold up was due to parts availability for the Hybrid electrical motor system.

On the second question ("Should the price be higher"), they may have left money on the table with the pricing. On that front, I get it too...they obviously wanted to wow the market with the under $20K starting price message.

I'm not there to look at their internal data, nor are you. I *do* know how to analyze such data, but everything we are doing here is just wild ass guesses.

All I am saying is that it is possible that their overall profitability could be higher had the pricing mix resulted in a mix between hybrid/EB as well as various packages to better utilize the theoretical production capacity. For example, what if the EB was priced exactly the same as the Hybrid engine? Certainly some number > 0 more orders would be EB vs. the current mix. What that number is can be debated, as well as Ford's cost of the EB vs Hybrid.

Peace.

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Notice the OKTB for the eco was in Sept soon after EPA mpg was released but not so with the hybrid. Maybe the added delay is because something is up with the hybrid that Ford engineers need time to fix.
Not this garbage again.

EPA has released MPG numbers for the Hybrid.

EPA has the emissions testing done for at least 8 States.

Smog ratings for Hybrids - What's your window sticker say?

EPA needs emissions testing to be done on all 50 States which takes time.

How many times do we have to see this stupid speculation that something has to be tweaked by Ford because "something is up with the hybrid that Ford engineers need time to fix" :mad:

Dan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is plenty of evidence even on this forum of people buying a different vehicle. That, by definition, is a lost sale. I do understand your argument "they sold out" i.e. they sold (will sell) all they can make. Then the question becomes "Could we have made more"? and "Should the price be higher"? On the first question, stoppage's in production due to parts being unavailable are undesirable. So the question then becomes could they have sold MORE if the mix was different, and what is the marginal cost vs marginal revenue of that mix vs. what they have now with the current pricing structure. For example, if the Hybrid hold up was due to parts availability for the Hybrid electrical motor system.

On the second question ("Should the price be higher"), they may have left money on the table with the pricing. On that front, I get it too...they obviously wanted to wow the market with the under $20K starting price message.

I'm not there to look at their internal data, nor are you. I *do* know how to analyze such data, but everything we are doing here is just wild ass guesses.

All I am saying is that it is possible that their overall profitability could be higher had the pricing mix resulted in a mix between hybrid/EB as well as various packages to better utilize the theoretical production capacity. For example, what if the EB was priced exactly the same as the Hybrid engine? Certainly some number > 0 more orders would be EB vs. the current mix. What that number is can be debated, as well as Ford's cost of the EB vs Hybrid.

Peace.
They really can’t produce more, I mean they could have easily made the battery bigger and done AWD but they just don’t have the supplies. Batteries along with anything are in short supply, I mean the new Tesla Model S LR has a wait into 2023! Just the times

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Heard the Santa Cruz comes with a free engine, maybe you should check them out….. if you’re a good negotiator you could probably get them to throw in some free air for the tires.
Anyone remember the service station ads = "PINK AIR IN 66" I not only waited for that! I am still waiting for that! So what's to complain about this wait?

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because you are impatient and are PAYING for the option to drive it now. You can wait and get what you paid for or upgrade and get it now Varuca.....

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What, exactly, does a bigger battery do for a HEV? There's no point if it's sized appropriately to the drivetrain specs.
Sponsored