Sponsored

If they made a full EV Maverick, would you buy, switch? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The infrastructure for EVs is huge compared to the infrastructure for ICE vehicles when the were introduced. We went from zero gas stations to the system we have today with out going bankrupt. We'll do it with EVs as well.
I didn't say any different, I think I made the opposite pretty clear in my post, but anybody who thinks these issues will cease to exist anytime soon is fooling themselves. May be a different thread, but a poster stated that they think it will be impossible to buy a new ICE in the U.S. by 2035.
Sponsored

Old_Norm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach E 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I didn't say any different, I think I made the opposite pretty clear in my post, but anybody who thinks these issues will cease to exist anytime soon is fooling themselves. May be a different thread, but a poster stated that they think it will be impossible to buy a new ICE in the U.S. by 2035.
I wasn't disagreeing with you, only adding additional information. Just FYI, here are other countries' plans for ICE vehicles.
2025 in Norway
Norway is the trailblazer in ending the reign of ICE vehicles, with only zero-emission new vehicles—either battery electric or hydrogen—to be sold from 2025.

Norway is both Western Europe's largest producer of fossil fuels and the leading adopter of electric vehicles: just under 80 percent of new cars sold in 2022 were electric.

2030 in Britain, Israel and Singapore
Britain, Israel and Singapore plan to ban the sale of new vehicles with internal combustion engines in 2030.

In Britain, the measure is part of an effort to create a "green industrial revolution" that aims to create thousands of jobs.

China drives forward
China has taken a lead in the manufacturing of battery electric vehicles, with hundreds of companies making cars and generous public subsidies available.

Chinese firms also dominate the production of the raw materials used in electric batteries and their manufacture.

The world's top polluter with the world's largest auto market, China has set waypoints towards eliminating new fossil fuel cars. It aims for battery electric, hybrid and fuel cell vehicles to account for 20 percent of sales in 2025. It aims for them to account for a majority by 2035.

Local initiatives have also sprung up: several cities now ban the sale of fossil fuel scooters, subside zero-emission vehicles or have put low-emission zones into place.

2030 for US to get halfway
According to President Joe Biden's climate plan, half of new cars sold in the United States should be zero-emissions in 2030. Large subsidies are being used to protect local manufacturers and attract battery production.

Plug-in hybrids are included in that goal, however. While these vehicles have fossil fuel motors, they can run several dozen kilometres on their batteries.

Despite being the home of Tesla, the United States has a long way to go. Sales of purely electric vehicles represented only 5.8 percent of the market in 2022.

The states of California and New York plan to ban the sale of new fossil fuel cars, except for plug-in hybrids, from 2035. Canada has fixed the same objective.

2035 for the EU
The Monday deal ends three weeks of drama following a last-minute roadblock put up by Germany and maintains an end of the sale of new fossil fuel vehicles from 2035, a key element of the bloc's climate plans.

With vehicles required to be zero emission, even hybrids will fail to make the cut. Only new battery electric or hydrogen fuel cell vehicles will be able to be sold in the bloc, unless they are designed to use carbon-neutral synthetic fuels.

In order to satisfy Germany's liberals, a carve-out was made for synthetic fuels, which are still in development but which are hoped can be made from CO2 using green energy, thus making their use neutral for emissions purposes.

Low-emission zones which limit access by older vehicles to city centres have also multiplied across Europe.

Fully-electric vehicles represented 12.1 percent of new car sales in the EU in 2022.

Within the EU, Ireland, the Netherlands and Sweden have set a more ambitious target of shifting to zero-emission vehicles in 2030.

Japan
Also a major car manufacturer, Japan plans to take its time to shift to electric vehicles and is favouring hybrids, of which Toyota is the world champion. Electric vehicles accounted for just 1.7 percent of new car sales in 2022.

The government plans to ban the sale of fossil fuel vehicles except for hybrids in the 2030s.

Other pioneers
India, which expects car ownership to boom but is already suffering from severe air pollution, has targeted electric vehicles accounting 30 percent of sales in 2030.

Chile, a major producer of lithium used in batteries, aims for 2035.

garnermike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An Outback, an Ioniq, a Corvette, a Fiat Spider
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nope. At this point in time, with charging stations not ubiquitous (like gas stations), I would not go wholly EV.
I would, however, love to go with an E-Hybrid model (PHEV) that could run the truck on full electric power for at least the first 50 miles and then switchover to hybrid drive.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just like 90% of the posts on THIS site are COMPLAINTS about the Maverick, so are posts on EV sites about EV charging and the like.

Do 90% of posts from 5% of users represent actual life in the real world?

MOST (most meaning more than half) of EV drivers today will NEVER go back to gasoline.

Next time THANK an EV driver for LOWERING your price at the pump and lowering emissions in the air you breathe.

But instead of "all purpose" vehicles we could use purpose built vehicles. Do you drive a 40 foot RV to work every day? Why not? Would that be silly and wasteful?

Why drive an unloaded "EcoBoost" truck every day when you need a pickup 3 times a month?

EV makes sense for most commuters in most communities.

There is a need for ICE vehicles.
Just the need is low and getting lower every day.
I know countess EV owners in real life, all of whom are HUGE proponents of EVs and say they can never go back to ICE, who will readily tell others that they shouldn't get an EV if homecharging is not an option. This is on top of the same thing on EV-friendly forums I have perused. You can say what you want about bad reviewers being the squeeky wheel, this is the current reality in a lot of the country. Public charging is an issue for a heck of a lot of drivers. The infrastructure will absolutely get better, but that's going to take time in most of the country.

I'm on your side. I may not buy another ICE vehicle (but I have a garage), but that doesn't change the reality of the current situation. I live in a state with 2.5x the national average for EVs per capita and the public charging infrastructure here is a joke, and doesn't even exist for large sections.

Last edited:

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have a used Zero motorcycle that I use for commuting. It's great! You should look into it. :)
This is what I mean by a purposeful vehicle; vs. an all-purpose vehicle.

All purpose vehicle: there really is no such thing. And when you come close, they are "ok" for a lot of things, and not particularly good at anything.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I know countess EV owners in real life, all of whom are HUGE proponents of EVs and say they can never go back to ICE, who will readily tell others that they shouldn't get an EV if homecharging is not an option. This is on top of the same thing on EV-friendly forums I have perused. You can say what you want about bad reviewers being the squeeky wheel, this is the current reality in a lot of the country. Public charging is an issue for a heck of a lot of drivers. The infrastructure will absolutely get better, but that's going to take time in most of the country.

I'm on your side. I may not buy another ICE vehicle (but I have a garage), but that doesn't change the reality of the current situation. I live in a state with 2.5x the national average for EVs per capita and the public charging infrastructure here is a joke, and doesn't even exist for large sections.
I know.

I've spent a lot of time in Utah. And Wyoming. And Nebraska.

Largely rural areas will NO DOUBT be last to migrate to EV.

However, it will be sooner than later along the coast lines.

I have said it before. I live in a 1950's home. I didn't want to stress the aged electrical system. I spent not a dime on upgrades.

In 6 years and 60,000 electric miles I NEVER EVER CHARGED AT HOME. IN YEAR ONE I was in an apartment. Guess what? I never charged there either.

In CA there are more charging stations than Starbucks and McDonalds combined, and many of them FREE (try getting free gas and let me know how that works out).

There it is in a nut shell.
If you live in a place large enough to have fast food and Starbucks, EV will come fast and easy for you.

If you live in a place too small for fast food and Starbucks; not so much.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know.

I've spent a lot of time in Utah. And Wyoming. And Nebraska.

Largely rural areas will NO DOUBT be last to migrate to EV.

However, it will be sooner than later along the coast lines.

I have said it before. I live in a 1950's home. I didn't want to stress the aged electrical system. I spent not a dime on upgrades.

In 6 years and 60,000 electric miles I NEVER EVER CHARGED AT HOME. IN YEAR ONE I was in an apartment. Guess what? I never charged there either.

In CA there are more charging stations than Starbucks and McDonalds combined, and many of them FREE (try getting free gas and let me know how that works out).

There it is in a nut shell.
If you live in a place large enough to have fast food and Starbucks, EV will come fast and easy for you.

If you live in a place too small for fast food and Starbucks; not so much.
How many of those miles were outside California? I would hardly call Utah "largely rural". In fact, it's quite urban when compared to the country at large https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/most-rural-states . We also have 2.5x the national average for EVs per capita. I'm from LA and wife is from the Bay Area. I've also visited all 50 states; the one thing I learned real quickly is that California (Seattle, Denver, NYC, Boston, Chicago) is not the rest of the country, and this is just another example. Probably because I do not live in California (and you could not pay wife or I to ever move back), I am less optimistic about the speed of the infrastructure progress then you are. I would love to be wrong.

Old_Norm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How many of those miles were outside California? I would hardly call Utah "largely rural". In fact, it's quite urban when compared to the country at large https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/most-rural-states . We also have 2.5x the national average for EVs per capita. I'm from LA and wife is from the Bay Area. I've also visited all 50 states; the one thing I learned real quickly is that California (Seattle, Denver, NYC, Boston, Chicago) is not the rest of the country, and this is just another example. Probably because I do not live in California (and you could not pay wife or I to ever move back), I am less optimistic about the speed of the infrastructure progress then you are. I would love to be wrong.
" I would hardly call Utah "'largely rural.'"
Statistics can prove just about anything. According to the same website you referenced, Utah is 11th in least populated states in the US. Rural is subjective, how many people live in a state per square mile is not. Statistics can tell you that a person could drown in a pond whose average depth is 6".

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
" I would hardly call Utah "'largely rural.'"
Statistics can prove just about anything. According to the same website you referenced, Utah is 11th in least populated states in the US. Rural is subjective, how many people live in a state per square mile is not. Statistics can tell you that a person could drown in a pond whose average depth is 6".

Did you have a point or do you just want to play semantical games? Utah is well above the national average for EVs per capita and the infrastructure for EVs sucks. Nonetheless, it is more progressed than most of the rest of the country. Everybody here, on both sides, is trying to extrapolate their current environment with what it's like for everyone.

I publish scientific research and do biostatistical consulting for a living, so I do understand how statistics work, but thanks for the education (y)

Last edited:

Old_Norm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you have a point or do you just want to play semantical games? Utah is well above the national average for EVs per capita and the infrastructure for EVs sucks. Nonetheless, it is more progressed than most of the rest of the country. Everybody here, on both sides, is trying to extrapolate their current environment with what it's like for everyone.

I publish scientific research and do biostatistical consulting for a living, so I do understand how statistics work, but thanks for the education (y)
At ease hard charger, just making an observation. I didn't mention EVs per capita. I was merely pointing out that the term rural is subjective where as population per square mile is not. I even quoted your comment, "I would hardly call Utah "'largely rural." Again, no mention of EVs per capita on my part. If you are as good at biostatistical consulting as you are at reading a Forum post you should seek other employment.

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Umm read the title to the thread. It didnt specify weather or not what you were driving weather an ecoboost or a hybrid to reply. Would I buy an EV? Maybe a Zero electric motorcycle for commuting 7 months out of the year.That's about it. As far as weather or not this guy was having trouble with his car charging up, how the hell would I know that. It's not like I went up to him and asked him.
Right, you are not buying a BEV maverick, so why are you here trying to convince me and others NOT to get one?

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Nope. At this point in time, with charging stations not ubiquitous (like gas stations), I would not go wholly EV.
I would, however, love to go with an E-Hybrid model (PHEV) that could run the truck on full electric power for at least the first 50 miles and then switchover to hybrid drive.
So why aren't gas stations and Truck Stops not adding EV charging stations that are next to the interstate? Most new EVs can go from 10% to 80% in under 20 minutes, so have 5-6 charging units at these places. Treat the charging stations like gas stations or vice versa.
Here by my house, there is a brand new QT that is also a truck stop (right off the 202) it still has a massive amount of usable space to add 5-6 charging stations, and still does not take up all the unusable space this place has. A person stops, plugs in, walks into QT gets a drink, or a bite to eat uses the restroom (this is about 20 minutes) and they are on their way. it seems like a no brainer to me.

garnermike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An Outback, an Ioniq, a Corvette, a Fiat Spider
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So why aren't gas stations and Truck Stops not adding EV charging stations that are next to the interstate? Most new EVs can go from 10% to 80% in under 20 minutes, so have 5-6 charging units at these places. Treat the charging stations like gas stations or vice versa.
Here by my house, there is a brand new QT that is also a truck stop (right off the 202) it still has a massive amount of usable space to add 5-6 charging stations, and still does not take up all the unusable space this place has. A person stops, plugs in, walks into QT gets a drink, or a bite to eat uses the restroom (this is about 20 minutes) and they are on their way. it seems like a no brainer to me.
Well, don't ask me, because I have no clue as to why corporate entities aren't doing what you suggest.

It almost feels like the petroleum companies don't want to encourage too many people to switch to EVs too quickly.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Well, don't ask me, because I have no clue as to why corporate entities aren't doing what you suggest.

It almost feels like the petroleum companies don't want to encourage too many people to switch to EVs too quickly.
bingo

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is what is happening now.
Even some corner Chevron's in the middle of the city are adding charge stations. CalTrans is putting EV fast chargers at Rest Areas (where there are zero gas pumps by the way) and for time being, it is free to charge.

Just like big Tobacco had to diversify, big oil is now diversifying.

If they don't, they will become the next Kodak.
Sponsored