First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Supposedly, Nissan has planned no reductions as they took up to make two new EVs at the plant. If so, that's awesome to hear.
That’s excellent news. I’ve been disconnected from plant operations changes since my dad moved out of the Smyrna plant to the Technical Center. Now that he’s retired I get no news.

Despite owning many Titans, the D21/Frontier/Xterra will always be my baby.

They are likely converting the plant to make something else, I doubt it will mean job losses on mass.
I sure hope so, but Nissan has a history of shooting itself in the foot from time to time. They are the FCA of Japan.
Sponsored

Flight Test

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvettes
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I owned 2005 Titan Extended Cab LE 2WD for 13 years, basically not that good. To be fair, the powertrain and A/C were excellent. However, the rest of the truck not so. Paint faded, window switch electrical gremlins, the truck interior sounded like a bucket of loose bolts. Squeaks, rattles, buzzing, etc. That year Nissan claimed to be the first major auto maker to offer a factory SIBL. That really was garbage. Bubbles, blistering, peeling, and cracking.

K5Blazer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When they did the remodel, they even offered a bumper to bumper 100K warranty and that couldn't get em out the door.

We may have found the most loyal customer base in all of vehicles, full size pickups. Not even Toyota could get consistently over 100K sold every year and Ram just kept growing.
They are losing that customer base rapidly now.
People are finally figuring out haw crappy Dodge products are.
Mechanics fondly call them “disposable cars” due to their poor quality in design and material.

Sponsored

PlantMan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-250 4WD crew 8' bed; 2022 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
14mpg vehicles drag the whole company's CAFE down. Not sustainable.
My lifetime MPG on my 250 is 13.2 gallons with the older 6.2L gas engine. I bet the newer 6.7L gas engine isn't much better. For a half-ton family shopping pickup, 14 isn't very good. For larger models, MPG isn't as important.

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The issue is Nissan committed the cardinal sin that Japanese brands, and automotive startups are making, trying to go head to head with the mother of all juggernauts, the f-150. Any brand that goes up against the f-150 is guaranteed to lose.

That's why for my own portfolio, I'm designing two smaller trucks, even smaller than the maverick in some cases, because the only way for many brands to succeed in the auto industry is by doing something radically different. One of the products I'm designing, that I would hopefully be able to pitch and get to market some day, is unlike any truck I've ever seen. It combined this trend of car like performance trucks, and additional utility in a way I've never seen before. Be different, that's the only way you're going to get people to look at you, but be different in a way that enhances the user experience and makes the product better than it's rivals.

Maui

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Kia Soul Convertble
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I transported a used '23 Titan about 20 miles from one dealer to another. It only had 2300 miles on it, so I asked myself, "I wonder why they got shed of this so soon?" About 200 yards into the journey, it was apparent. This was not a piece of shit, it was the whole entire steaming pile of shit!

(apologies to those of you that love them, if anyone.)

Maui

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Kia Soul Convertble
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

...they should have created a "dAss" package.

(juvenile)

P.S. Wow! That was a real thread killer...

Last edited:
Sponsored

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Its unfortunate that they stopped building the Titan XD with a cummins. I know several of them that are used for hotshot and do great.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Supposedly, Nissan has planned no reductions as they tool up to make two new EVs at the plant. If so, that's awesome to hear.
So they say. I wonder what happens if the wet dream of a totally electrified near future doesn't pan out?

Call sign "Slick"

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hey, that makes Mav more desirable, I would think...Value just keeps going up...lol

Jman79

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Vue, Honda Odessey, Ford Maverick 🤞MY24
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The issue is Nissan committed the cardinal sin that Japanese brands, and automotive startups are making, trying to go head to head with the mother of all juggernauts, the f-150. Any brand that goes up against the f-150 is guaranteed to lose.

That's why for my own portfolio, I'm designing two smaller trucks, even smaller than the maverick in some cases, because the only way for many brands to succeed in the auto industry is by doing something radically different. One of the products I'm designing, that I would hopefully be able to pitch and get to market some day, is unlike any truck I've ever seen. It combined this trend of car like performance trucks, and additional utility in a way I've never seen before. Be different, that's the only way you're going to get people to look at you, but be different in a way that enhances the user experience and makes the product better than it's rivals.
You underestimate the stupidity of the consumer public 😆. You could make the most functional vehicle in the world, but if they dont feel like it makes them look good they wont buy it ☹. People want to stand out, but in a very safe way, not too different.

Jman79

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Vue, Honda Odessey, Ford Maverick 🤞MY24
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So they say. I wonder what happens if the wet dream of a totally electrified near future doesn't pan out?
Infrastructure currently cannot sustain EV growth. If we cant support infrastructure to keep up with how much EVs are being pushed we'll have problems. We will hit a point where enough people adopt it that demand shifts and electricity to gas costs for automobiles flip. However we'll all be crying about our household electric bills no matter what we drive.

The best thing current EV programs are doing is forcing R&D in an industry that was otherwise stagnant petroleum based. That movement may help speed our shift to something totally different and truely better. Instead of just kinda better, for only certain use cases.

The main issue is that we humans are like locusts. We want to consume in mass and rebel against any suggestion of moderation because "you cant tell me what to do!" So when we all shift to a sustainable model we tend to blow the sustainable part up.
Sponsored

Last edited: