First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-Max Energi PHEV, Maverick Lariat Hybrid DEC2023
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No one is unplugging it in my garage. And my truck is on Camera at work. Monitor is right above my desk. That is the least of my concerns. PHEV can use a standard 120V outlet too.
120 is drudgery for any charging. Takes forever.
Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

120 is drudgery for any charging. Takes forever.
My truck is parked at work every day for 9-11 hours, so no big deal.

Jeff D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Maverick Lariat & Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My employer has outlets at the base of the parking lot lights for vehicles that use block heaters. Not many employees use them anymore, though. A few older diesel powered trucks, but not much else. New cars start so darn good even at 0F.

I could use that and as long as employees with PHEV were the exception, I believe no concerns on the cost would ever be brought up. Might not give it a full charge, but would help top it off for free.

If >1/4 of the employess had PHEV that could change.

I wonder how many watts they use when charging on 110volts? Block heaters can be ~1500 watts.

I also wonder what the cold would do to the batteries capacity?

surfstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My employer has outlets at the base of the parking lot lights for vehicles that use block heaters. Not many employees use them anymore, though. A few older diesel powered trucks, but not much else. New cars start so darn good even at 0F.

I could use that and as long as employees with PHEV were the exception, I believe no concerns on the cost would ever be brought up. Might not give it a full charge, but would help top it off for free.

If >1/4 of the employess had PHEV that could change.

I wonder how many watts they use when charging on 110volts? Block heaters can be ~1500 watts.

I also wonder what the cold would do to the batteries capacity?
Most charge 12A at 120V so the same as that block heater basically (most household outlets are 15A circuits, so that's the main reason).
Battery range goes down quite a bit in very cold and more so if you use the heat (heat pump) for cabin heating. People that care about range can just use the heated seats and steering wheel with some warm clothes.

Double Dip

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Considering that America is still in a transitional phase to electric cars/charging, I would much rather see a Maverick PHEV.

Zero stress range, all electric for errands, and generator mode like the F150 has.

PHEV is the near future change my mind.

Sponsored

Double Dip

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder if a solar panel could be attached to the cab of an existing Maverick Hybrid that would trickle charge the battery when it gets low? This would probably cause better gas mileage by keeping the ICE from coming on as often?

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I wonder if a solar panel could be attached to the cab of an existing Maverick Hybrid that would trickle charge the battery when it gets low? This would probably cause better gas mileage by keeping the ICE from coming on as often?
I believe the current Prius Prime (PHEV) offers such an option in a solar roof panel. It would seem that if the 12V battery charging has such an influence on MPG, that it would become common on all cars and trucks.

Samus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not enough surface area to be worth the added cost.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I believe the current Prius Prime (PHEV) offers such an option in a solar roof panel. It would seem that if the 12V battery charging has such an influence on MPG, that it would become common on all cars and trucks.
IT's to power the interior fan to keep the interior from getting too hot

Sponsored

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

IT's to power the interior fan to keep the interior from getting too hot
We have a generation 3? (2014) with that option. I believe the current Prime does use it for battery charging.

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ll keep my hybrid Mav thank you. I see no reason to spend 3k more for the same vehicle just to get PHEV Mav. It will take at least 40,000 miles of driving at current gas prices to break even and that’s if I use the PHEV mostly in city driving.

With two cars I could be in the market for a EV as a second car one day. Best combo for two vehicles is EV and HEV or two HEV. If I only have the need for one vehicle I stay HEV unless EV range gets 50% better. Less dependence on China for the batteries would sway me more toward EV as well.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

We have a generation 3? (2014) with that option. I believe the current Prime does use it for battery charging.
I searched and found that, a nice option.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’ll keep my hybrid Mav thank you. I see no reason to spend 3k more for the same vehicle just to get PHEV Mav. It will take at least 40,000 miles of driving at current gas prices to break even and that’s if I use the PHEV mostly in city driving.

With two cars I could be in the market for a EV as a second car one day. Best combo for two vehicles is EV and HEV or two HEV. If I only have the need for one vehicle I stay HEV unless EV range gets 50% better. Less dependence on China for the batteries would sway me more toward EV as well.
This is why there are EV, PHEV, HEV, and ICE cars, we all have different needs. I would love a PHEV maverick, with a 40-mile elec range. Work has chargers, so I could get to work on pure EV mode, charge it work, and pure EV mode home.

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Considering that America is still in a transitional phase to electric cars/charging, I would much rather see a Maverick PHEV.

Zero stress range, all electric for errands, and generator mode like the F150 has.

PHEV is the near future change my mind.
At what price point? $2,000 option; $3,000 option?
Sponsored