First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is why there are EV, PHEV, HEV, and ICE cars, we all have different needs. I would love a PHEV maverick, with a 40-mile elec range. Work has chargers, so I could get to work on pure EV mode, charge it work, and pure EV mode home.
You sound like a perfect candidate for a EV Maverick. I get it though especially if you have just one vehicle. PHEV seems to make more sense then. You are right though every person has different needs. I just really think Ford blew it by not doing a EV Maverick instead of the Lightning which in hindsight looks like a fail.
Sponsored

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At what price point? $2,000 option; $3,000 option?
Well if the government pays for your price premium through a tax break I guess you don’t have to make that an issue.

It should be noted however that the Escape PHEV starts 7k higher than the entry level Escape HEV. The 3k difference is between the top level Platinum Escape hybrid and the PHEV. I would expect that to be the about the same should the Mav get a PHEV. It will be about 3k higher than the Lariat HEV.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Gee, regarding Lightning, you make a vehicle that requires more electricity than a small country and it turns out to be expensive. 🤔

Sponsored

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don’t think there will be a Maverick PHEV XL or even XLT.

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You sound like a perfect candidate for a EV Maverick. I get it though especially if you have just one vehicle. PHEV seems to make more sense then. You are right though every person has different needs. I just really think Ford blew it by not doing a EV Maverick instead of the Lightning which in hindsight looks like a fail.
In this regard, I think eventually and pretty quickly, you will see most EV's being on the smaller (lighter) side. Huge vehicles like the Lightning, Hummer and maybe even the Cybertruck need such large batteries with massive weight to have a decent range that they require special (and frequent) expensive tire replacement, use many resources just to build the batteries. I think larger vehicles will end up being hybrid, either just HEV or PHEV.

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In this regard, I think eventually and pretty quickly, you will see most EV's being on the smaller (lighter) side. Huge vehicles like the Lightning, Hummer and maybe even the Cyber truck need such large batteries with massive weight to have a decent range that they require special (and frequent) expensive tire replacement, use many resources just to build the batteries. I think larger vehicles will end up being hybrid, either just HEV or PHEV.
If they are larger they will likely be very expensive and beyond the reach of most consumers.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In this regard, I think eventually and pretty quickly, you will see most EV's being on the smaller (lighter) side. Huge vehicles like the Lightning, Hummer and maybe even the Cybertruck need such large batteries with massive weight to have a decent range that they require special (and frequent) expensive tire replacement, use many resources just to build the batteries. I think larger vehicles will end up being hybrid, either just HEV or PHEV.
Yup. Like I said above.

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Considering that America is still in a transitional phase to electric cars/charging, I would much rather see a Maverick PHEV.

Zero stress range, all electric for errands, and generator mode like the F150 has.

PHEV is the near future change my mind.
Till the electricity prices quadruple from the extra load and the failure to build new generation stations.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Right now, EVs are in their infancy, the range needs to be in the 350-375 range with AC or heat on, and that hasn't happened. PHEV is the happy payoff. Many friends and neighbors have EV, and know they have to make two stops on their way to San Diego or LA (I live in PHX)
When it comes to charging at work, I don't think EV should use the chargers at work, since they have a longer range then PHEVs, at work, we have 3, level 2 chargers, so it takes a PHEV, roughly 2.5 hours to fully charge.

BTW, Ford has trade marked the Maverick Lighting name, so it appears the next Gen Maverick will get a fully EV option.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Till the electricity prices quadruple from the extra load and the failure to build new generation stations.
Here's the thing. Do you like analogies?
Good. Me too.

The "generating" grid is adequate now for most areas.
Just like the 400 watt power inverter in the Maverick is adequate for most construction jobs.

Here's the analogy:

Your Maverick 400 watt inverter won't power most corded construction tools. But it WILL power a plethora of these:

Ford Maverick Id rather have a PHEV Maverick IMG_9040

The Maverick will RECHARGE BATTERY TOOLS faster than a single worker could ever drain his battery tools.

People get hung up on "peak power".
The name of the game is continuous power.

Your chop saw needs 2000 watts peak. But you are not running it 60 minutes of every hour. If you run it 12 minutes per hour, 12 minutes of actually spinning the blade, your Maverick's truck bed CAN power it via use of rechargable batteries that ARE charging 60 minutes per hour.

Same applies to EV's and the power grid today.

Your EV plugged in at home on a trickle charger is just another appliance. Literally. It's just another toaster or microwave oven attached to the grid. And with the invent of LED lights, LED Tvs, solar panels, and energy star appliances, the grid, the grid today, has room for millions of more toasters. I mean EV's.

When you have time, and everyone needs to sleep, you don't need high peak power. A trickle of continuous power gets the job done.

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here's the thing. Do you like analogies?
Good. Me too.

The "generating" grid is adequate now for most areas.
Just like the 400 watt power inverter in the Maverick is adequate for most construction jobs.

Here's the analogy:

Your Maverick 400 watt inverter won't power most corded construction tools. But it WILL power a plethora of these:

IMG_9040.jpeg

The Maverick will RECHARGE BATTERY TOOLS faster than a single worker could ever drain his battery tools.

People get hung up on "peak power".
The name of the game is continuous power.

Your chop saw needs 2000 watts peak. But you are not running it 60 minutes of every hour. If you run it 12 minutes per hour, 12 minutes of actually spinning the blade, your Maverick's truck bed CAN power it via use of rechargable batteries that ARE charging 60 minutes per hour.

Same applies to EV's and the power grid today.

Your EV plugged in at home on a trickle charger is just another appliance. Literally. It's just another toaster or microwave oven attached to the grid. And with the invent of LED lights, LED Tvs, solar panels, and energy star appliances, the grid, the grid today, has room for millions of more toasters. I mean EV's.

When you have time, and everyone needs to sleep, you don't need high peak power. A trickle of continuous power gets the job done.
But if millions of people are charging EVs at night and also running their AC or Furnaces and then you are adding that toaster or Microwave running all night the nighttime demand on the grid will be much higher than now. Am I wrong? I see your point about the peak usage but I can’t help but think when millions of people move to EVs that electric rates will go way up regardless.

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Right now, EVs are in their infancy, the range needs to be in the 350-375 range with AC or heat on, and that hasn't happened. PHEV is the happy payoff. Many friends and neighbors have EV, and know they have to make two stops on their way to San Diego or LA (I live in PHX)
When it comes to charging at work, I don't think EV should use the chargers at work, since they have a longer range then PHEVs, at work, we have 3, level 2 chargers, so it takes a PHEV, roughly 2.5 hours to fully charge.

BTW, Ford has trade marked the Maverick Lighting name, so it appears the next Gen Maverick will get a fully EV option.
But many EV users will not be as knowledgeable and thoughtful as you are and will belly up to charging stations whether they need to or not.

I think sometimes people are blind to the number of vehicles on the road. If you just convert half of these vehicles to EV there better be lots of people charging at home or there is going to be war at the public charging outlets.
Sponsored