First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I first saw it reported in a news article, but the Santa Cruz fuel economy numbers are not great. They are not surprising, given the MPG listed for the 2022 Tuscon. In a nutshell, the Santa Cruz is listed at 22-23 combined mpg (19-21 City/ 26-27 Hwy). This is on par with many mid-sized SUV's, so it isn't terrible. Buuut, in theory, I can get 22mpg combined with a CrewCab Ranger, and at a similar price point. I will be shocked if the Maverick gets worse MPG than the Santa Cruz, at least in the base models.

Personally, I'm hoping the hybrid Maverick will be around the $30k mark.

Also...as an observation...I feel like the MPG rating will cause the Santa Cruz to flop hard, especially if the Maverick manages better mpg than the Santa Cruz.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Pow...=Santra Cruz&srchtyp=ymm&pageno=1&rowLimit=50
Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
I first saw it reported in a news article, but the Santa Cruz fuel economy numbers are not great. They are not surprising, given the MPG listed for the 2022 Tuscon. In a nutshell, the Santa Cruz is listed at 22-23 combined mpg (19-21 City/ 26-27 Hwy). This is on par with many mid-sized SUV's, so it isn't terrible. Buuut, in theory, I can get 22mpg combined with a CrewCab Ranger, and at a similar price point. I will be shocked if the Maverick gets worse MPG than the Santa Cruz, at least in the base models.

Also...as an observation...I feel like the MPG rating will cause the Santa Cruz to flop hard, especially if the Maverick manages better mpg than the Santa Cruz.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=2022&year2=2022&make=Hyundai&baseModel=Santra Cruz&srchtyp=ymm&pageno=1&rowLimit=50
Tuscon gets 23-25mpg combine.
So the Santa Cruz is similar.
but the Maverick should be
1.5L FWD 26/31/28
1.5L AWD 24/27/25
2.0L AWD 20/25/22
2.5L Hybrid FWD 40/30/36
2.5L Hybrid AWD 38/28/34

So slightly better.
And I would think a AWD HYBRID Maverick XLT should be right around $30,000

Dan_E26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus, 2018 Sonata SEL
Those are some pretty freakin' awful numbers, man. I'm worried the Mav is gonna be a bit of a pig on gas.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those are some pretty freakin' awful numbers, man. I'm worried the Mav is gonna be a bit of a pig on gas.
Well the Tuscon doesn’t get good MPG either. 25 combine. 2.4 FWD. where the Escape 1.5L fwd gets 30.
that’s a massive difference for 2 similar vehicles

Sponsored

OP
OP
zeketolliver

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The hybrid checks my MPG box, but I would really, really like to have AWD...so we'll have to see which side of my brain wins.

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That could come later. Or now. No word yet
Thank you for letting me know. I used to have an electric car. It is so quiet, but I don't appreciate the range anxiety. A plugin pickup is perfect for people like me. My brain is persuading me to wait for it; meanwhile, my heart is....

Ford Maverick Hyundai SC EPA MPG Stats Are Out -- Not Great shutupmoney

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=2022&year2=2022&make=Hyundai&baseModel=Santra Cruz&srchtyp=ymm&pageno=1&rowLimit=50
I just did some digging. Hyundai’s 8 speed has very wide spaced gears. And it’s a taller gear set then the Maverick. Both of those factors help highway mileage a little bit MURDER city.
So that makes me think the 2.0 Maverick will have better city and worse highway than 2.5T. So SC has 19/27/23z I would guess for ford. 21/26/23

OP
OP
zeketolliver

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just did some digging. Hyundai’s 8 speed has very wide spaced gears. And it’s a taller gear set then the Maverick. Both of those factors help highway mileage a little bit MURDER city.
So that makes me think the 2.0 Maverick will have better city and worse highway than 2.5T. So SC has 19/27/23z I would guess for ford. 21/26/23
Yeah, if I decide I *WANT* AWD, I think the SC will be my choice. At the moment, I'd rather have high 30's combined MPG than AWD. Buuut, the Hyundai SC base AWD is likely to be priced withing a few hundred $'s of the Maverick XL AWD--$25875, once you include the destination , engine ($1085) and AWD ($3300).

To be honest, if I decide on AWD, I will probably go with the Santa Cruz, given the Hyundai 3yrs/36000 maintenance program and the 10yrs/100000 warranty.

Ford does, I believe, offer a 10yrs/100000 warranty on their hybrid system.

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, if I decide I *WANT* AWD, I think the SC will be my choice. At the moment, I'd rather have high 30's combined MPG than AWD. Buuut, the Hyundai SC base AWD is likely to be priced withing a few hundred $'s of the Maverick XL AWD--$25875, once you include the destination , engine ($1085) and AWD ($3300).

To be honest, if I decide on AWD, I will probably go with the Santa Cruz, given the Hyundai 3yrs/36000 maintenance program and the 10yrs/100000 warranty.

Ford does, I believe, offer a 10yrs/100000 warranty on their hybrid system.
kias warranties are very voidable. Go even 1 mile over any “recommended maintenance” void. (Including flushing your radiator and trans at 50k)

I’ve heard that the Santa Cruz fwd will start at ~25msrp meaning an AWD version after destination will likely cost almost 30(and that’s the N/A). Vs fords 25.

OP
OP
zeketolliver

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
kias warranties are very voidable. Go even 1 mile over any “recommended maintenance” void. (Including flushing your radiator and trans at 50k)

I’ve heard that the Santa Cruz fwd will start at ~25msrp meaning an AWD version after destination will likely cost almost 30(and that’s the N/A). Vs fords 25.
It's all guestimation, but Hyundai's AWD upgrade is 1400, vice Ford's 3300, so the SC base AWD is likely to be $27k (US) vice $30k.

A solid Warranty is not something one should wave away. Hyundai also provides basic maintenance for the first 36-months, so that helps with maintaining warranty viability. To me, the warranty is worth the extra $2k price tag of an SC.

That said, I'll take a XLT Luxury Package Maverick hybrid with a few goodies at $27500, before I take a base model SC with AWD at $27k.

I still want my small pickup to get somewhere north of 30mpg, vice low 20's combined I would get with an FWD/AWD SC, or an AWD Mav.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's all guestimation, but Hyundai's AWD upgrade is 1400, vice Ford's 3300, so the SC base AWD is likely to be $27k (US) vice $30k.

A solid Warranty is not something one should wave away. Hyundai also provides basic maintenance for the first 36-months, so that helps with maintaining warranty viability. To me, the warranty is worth the extra $2k price tag of an SC.

That said, I'll take a XLT Luxury Package Maverick hybrid with a few goodies at $27500, before I take a base model SC with AWD at $27k.

I still want my small pickup to get somewhere north of 30mpg, vice low 20's combined I would get with an FWD/AWD SC, or an AWD Mav.
Most ford dealers offer 3 year maintenance included.

OP
OP
zeketolliver

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine