First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting. So maybe it's better to be on normal mode when on the highway (rather than Eco) and just keep a larger gap from the car in front of you?
This is mostly correct with respect to maximizing regen braking energy capture. Under light brake pedal modulation, the vehicle is still using regen brakes to slow you down until a certain decel threshold is requested/required and the friction brakes blend in. So you can technically get "max" regen without using L as long as you are braking at a speed/distance that keeps the vehicle within that regen braking vs friction brakes window. This balance is what Brake Coach is trying to help people see.
Ignoring other factors that may come in to play with Eco vs Normal mode - you want to minimize speed loss while cruising on the highway, which then in turn requires additional power to get back up to speed (you'll never get back 100% of that energy, even though regen helps cut losses).
Eco mode can effect shift points, AC blower speed, and pedal mapping to encourage more efficient driving, but that won't be extremely noticeable at a consistent highway speed.
Sponsored

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Multiple averages tank to tank is all that matters.

But to keep my mpg high, I have my maverick towed on a flatbed to flagstaff from phoenix when I visit my brother. That way I can just record the downhill. That or driving like a reasonable person. 65mph, staying in regen, and keep things smooth.

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First fill-up. A couple notes:
1) The truck was full when I picked it up from the Dealer, but I did not fill it. Trip 2 represents miles from the Dealer in PA back up to upstate NY via highways but not (mostly) the interstate. Instead, I did "avoid toll roads" routing because I had forgotten my EZPASS.
2) Also includes a trip from upstate NY to mid-center MA, this time on I90 (there and back).
3) When I filled it up, the details are:
13.254 gallons. This suggests even better mileage than what the trip computer calculated. 601.7/13.254 = 45.4 MPG. However, I did not "top off" - just stopped after the first time the pump clicked off. So this might account for some/all/whatever of the difference between 45.4 and 42.4. We shall see over time.

All in all - very pleased! Getting a decent amount of electric miles travelling to work and back.
Ford Maverick Hypermiling Challenge for 2.5L Hybrid First Fill Up - Copy

RockHoundTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here's a "HYPERMILLER" and Nascar tip (not me :eek:)
Tailgate, really get close to the 18 wheelers bumper and "big lifted" pickups. You'll be amazed (or dead :oops:) by the jump in MPG.
My mom was a long-haul truck driver in the 1980s and early 90s. She has tons of stories about cars following too close when a rig had a blow-out or slung up someone else's blow-out. She had one particular story about someone in a BMW that was hugging her bumper on a really hot day. Said she was watching the rearview mirror when a re-tread came off and smacked the BMW. Pretty much totaled it. She pulled over to see if any assistance was required. When the trooper got there, he sent her on her way and said he was going to ticket the BMW driver for driving too close.

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

First fill-up. A couple notes:
1) The truck was full when I picked it up from the Dealer, but I did not fill it. Trip 2 represents miles from the Dealer in PA back up to upstate NY via highways but not (mostly) the interstate. Instead, I did "avoid toll roads" routing because I had forgotten my EZPASS.
2) Also includes a trip from upstate NY to mid-center MA, this time on I90 (there and back).
3) When I filled it up, the details are:
13.254 gallons. This suggests even better mileage than what the trip computer calculated. 601.7/13.254 = 45.4 MPG. However, I did not "top off" - just stopped after the first time the pump clicked off. So this might account for some/all/whatever of the difference between 45.4 and 42.4. We shall see over time.

All in all - very pleased! Getting a decent amount of electric miles travelling to work and back.
First Fill Up - Copy.jpeg
Okā€¦ā€¦ā€¦hereā€™s my odometer so farā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.
Rough calculations will make it seem like Iā€™m driving slowly all the time. Keep in mind that the ā€œtimeā€ includes waiting in line at the drive-thrus at the bank, CVS, etc.
This is real-world driving. Off the top of my headā€¦ā€¦ā€¦about 40% highway (60-85; sheā€™s seen 90, but still too new to push beyond that. After first oil change.), 50% back-country roads (35-60), 10% in-town and city driving.
My Old Man used to say, to make a car last, donā€™t do anything suddenly. Accelerating, braking, turning, etc.
Of course, sometimes you have (or just want) to do one of those things. But for the most part, Iā€™ve stuck to his advice, and it has stood me in good stead. So no jackrabbit starts.
(and donā€™t be a pain to others).
Octane?ā€¦..I always buy gas by price.
ā€Lowā€ button? I use it all the time. Like downshifting with a stick, or on a bike. (But can only do it once. Like my old ā€˜66 283 Chevy power glide.) Book says it can be engaged at any speed. Watch the needle dip WAY down into the green.
Red light ahead? Coast. Youā€™ll still catch up to the traffic.

Ford Maverick Hypermiling Challenge for 2.5L Hybrid BB07E603-E16B-4D29-96FF-57B93C3F9375

Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The thing is, we don't know what else ECO does (other than affect regen), so it is hard to say.
Eco ups your regen, lowers throttle response and leans out the engine

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll win this...7000 miles mostly highway and getting 38.5.
Thatā€™s damn impressive. Has it increased as youā€™ve tacked on more miles?
Iā€™m currently at around 800 and the instant read out is pegged at 30mpg above 50mph when using the ICE.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Eco ups your regen, lowers throttle response and leans out the engine
The first two seem to be true, based on observation. Do you have a source for the "leans out the engine" part?

I suspect ECO mostly works by changing the driver's throttle and brake behavior.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
These are fuel mileage trucks, it surprised me more then I anticipated. I get 53mpg on a couple tanks now. Worse mileage is straight up flat highway were I only get 45mpg. My worst tanks were hauling 800lb of solar panel at 75mph dropped to 39mpg. The key I just saw today was to have more mpg in electric mode then in ICE mode. I really like the Mav and am learning to drive a hybrid.

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My mom was a long-haul truck driver in the 1980s and early 90s. She has tons of stories about cars following too close when a rig had a blow-out or slung up someone else's blow-out. She had one particular story about someone in a BMW that was hugging her bumper on a really hot day. Said she was watching the rearview mirror when a re-tread came off and smacked the BMW. Pretty much totaled it. She pulled over to see if any assistance was required. When the trooper got there, he sent her on her way and said he was going to ticket the BMW driver for driving too close.
My first ticket was for driving too close to a big rig. I was doing 70 on a 1981 Vespa p200ā€¦ten inch wheels, tiny brakes, some mods to the engine, thing was stupid fast. The CHP who yanked me introā€™d with ā€œI pulled you over to save your life.ā€
I replied with ā€œso you donā€™t want the Grey Poupon?ā€™ And he laughed as he wrote me up. I reckon I have driven pretty safely since that day. Never had a hybrid, but getting 38 mpg in my Honda Fit at 150k miles.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The first two seem to be true, based on observation. Do you have a source for the "leans out the engine" part?

I suspect ECO mostly works by changing the driver's throttle and brake behavior.
Ford Maverick Hypermiling Challenge for 2.5L Hybrid Screenshot_20220412-131038_Chrome