First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
hydroplaning has more to do with physics. An object in motion will remain in motion until it crashes into something else. Albert Einstein once told me back in the day.
Old Albert told me to keep that to myself.
Sponsored

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello Brevardian!

Please don't drive 80 on I-95 in the rain. There is nothing gong on in Brevard county worth getting hurt over by trying to arrive 2 minutes faster.
If you don't someone will rear end you for driving too slow. ;)

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
After much reading of this useful forum, I acquired a AWD 4k tow Lariat and also have on order a Hybrid Lux 360.

We live most often in rainy Florida and drive the interstate most often. Average speeds of traffic flow here often over 80 mph

Has anyone noted any hydroplaning on the AWD Maverick?

This forum had a post of somebody had a Hybrid hydroplaning a few times.

Looking to understand any significant hydroplaning differences between the two.

Thanks
Any vehicle can and will hydroplane at high speeds. It's just physics. Most of the folks I see that have spun out after a heavy rain either do not have good tread, were going to fast or are driving a 4WD/AWD vehicle. With the proper tires and sensible driving you should never have a problem regardless if it is AWD or FWD.

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can't speak to the handling of a Maverick, AWD or Hybrid as I'm waiting on mine but I do own an AWD vehicle. I'm thinking hydroplaning has more to do with the quality of your tires and the speed your driving. Speed is almost always a mitigating factor in an accident.
In 2005 I had a 05 BMW XDrive = AWD and I NEVER had hydroplaning issues at all! Ever since then, I have always purchased an AWD here in FL for that sense of confidence when the torrential rains fall and I am out and about driving. Just an opinion, not based on any "physics" - regardless of Albert Einstein math or Abraham Lincoln's opinions.

MinntoMich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S10, Renegade, Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
wouldn't that be an aggravating factor?
Both work IMO. Mopping it while driving slower on a slick surface will lessen or mitigate the damage your car receives. Mopping it while driving fast will aggravate the damage.

Sponsored

BigB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln -
Yeah like only Hybrids are getting scheduled this week

bighap

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tires make all the difference in the world. I had crap stock Yokohama tires on my AWD Subaru. Impreza. They sucked in heavy rain. Swapped out to top of the line Michelina. Night and day.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, is the wet/slippery mode just related to skidding/losing traction from non-tire causes and of no consequence in reference to hydroplaning? Would it not possibly be helpful when the tires reestablish contact with the road??
Not likely to help much but all wheels pulling is always better than 2 for traction. The problem with hydroplaning is that you typically lose the steering which is going to be a problem either way.
Ah ... Are we talking wet surface traction, or hydroplaning?

Number of drive wheels does not affect hydroplaning.

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No significant difference.

The factors involved in hydroplaning are tire pressure, tire tread, speed, and weight. Number of driven wheels doesn't matter.
The factors involved in hydroplaning are tire pressure, tire tread, speed, and weight. Number of driven wheels doesn't matter.

Agree.

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I wouldn't be worried about hydroplaning on either version. The Maverick is quite stable and tracks well, even over water.

Source: I live in Seattle where it rains, a lot.

OrangeBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hydroplaning happens because standing water does not really compress.

It occurs when your speed is such that your tires are not able to pump (or displace) the standing water fast enough for the rubber to actually contact the road surface. When this happens, your tires are now riding on a thin layer of water and you have little or no traction.

Lots of variables in play here.

Speed: the faster you go, the less time your tires have to move water out sideways or into the grooves in the tread.
Tires: tire design, amount and depth of grooving and even width of tires will affect this.
Water: depth of water will obviously play a part
Road surface: smoother roads would be more likely to allow your tires to float.

AWD makes little to no difference in hydroplaning.

In 2005 I had a 05 BMW XDrive = AWD and I NEVER had hydroplaning issues at all! Ever since then, I have always purchased an AWD here in FL for that sense of confidence when the torrential rains fall

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

wouldn't that be an aggravating factor?
Well, speed is a relative term... When it comes to hydroplaning, increasing speed would tend to aggravate hydroplaning as you said, but decreasing speed would tend to alleviate hydroplaning. I believe the latter is what @MinntoMich intended.

Allen King Jr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 C-Max phev, 2006 Mercury Mariner, 2023 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you insist on driving 80MPH plus in the rain, then I recommend Michelin Cross Climate x2 tires, I have personally tested this on my 2013 Ford C-max, it was good to 90MPH with about 2-4 inches of rain on the highway.

I am a little crazy and like to test limits of my vehicles, it allows me to know what to expect in emergency situations.

PSA: Please be safe when you drive and know the limits of your vehicle and drive accordingly!
Sponsored