Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

No significant difference.

The factors involved in hydroplaning are tire pressure, tire tread, speed, and weight. Number of driven wheels doesn't matter.
You forgot rain intensity. road roughness, cross slope of the roadway, number of lanes, as well as time since last rain. Sorry for nurding out! Unfortunately, I spend a lifetime working for ADOT>
Sponsored

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree with others, hydroplaning is not largely impacted by all-wheel drive. To me, the bigger concern when it's raining is not hydroplaning but standing water. When you're driving and hit a large puddle which drags certain wheels, having additional traction in others is something that I like. In general having more wheels delivering power in slippery condition can only be positive as well. Just my thoughts as I live in rainy Houston.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You forgot rain intensity. road roughness, cross slope of the roadway, number of lanes, as well as time since last rain. Sorry for nurding out! Unfortunately, I spend a lifetime working for ADOT>
Yep, you win, sort-of. But you forgot water depth, which is determined by some of the factors you mentioned.

I can be a nerd too! 🤓

BTW - number of lanes? I don't think so!

Raymundo76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yep, you win, sort-of. But you forgot water depth, which is determined by some of the factors you mentioned.

I can be a nerd too! 🤓

BTW - number of lanes? I don't think so!
Yes, the more lanes that drain towards the shoulder the more water. The more water the deeper it gets. Studies suggest that after 3 lanes the roadway cross slope should be increased to reduce loss of control due to hydroplaning. Very old roadways often had a parabolic crown (i.e. increasing the cross slope as the roadway gets wider). It seems that they knew more than we give them credit for having. While this diversion was fun it is way off topic. Sorry but I could not help my self. LOL

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, the more lanes that drain towards the shoulder the more water. The more water the deeper it gets. Studies suggest that after 3 lanes the roadway cross slope should be increased to reduce loss of control due to hydroplaning. Very old roadways often had a parabolic crown (i.e. increasing the cross slope as the roadway gets wider). It seems that they knew more than we give them credit for having. While this diversion was fun it is way off topic. Sorry but I could not help my self. LOL
Hey, at least it's informative and tangentially related to the topic of this thread! :)

Sponsored

MinntoMich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S10, Renegade, Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you insist on driving 80MPH plus in the rain, then I recommend Michelin Cross Climate x2 tires
That is one solid tire and I can't sing its praises enough. The deep directional tread handles slush, snow and rain very well. In the winter driving I've done it corners well driving around town and provides more than adequate traction in heavy, wet snow. I'm betting that tread pattern moves the water well too. All around excellent tire.

TCPTX65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Hybrid, 2023 Buick Enclave
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

TCPTX65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Hybrid, 2023 Buick Enclave
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

hydroplaning has more to do with physics. An object in motion will remain in motion until it crashes into something else. Albert Einstein once told me back in the day.
I thought it was Issaac Newton. Maybe AE was just quoting him.

Sponsored

Baloo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4 Lux Ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

After much reading of this useful forum, I acquired a AWD 4k tow Lariat and also have on order a Hybrid Lux 360.

We live most often in rainy Florida and drive the interstate most often. Average speeds of traffic flow here often over 80 mph

Has anyone noted any hydroplaning on the AWD Maverick?

This forum had a post of somebody had a Hybrid hydroplaning a few times.

Looking to understand any significant hydroplaning differences between the two.

Thanks
It is almost impossible to Hydeoplan in any vehicle.

What most people are experiencing when they believe they are hydroplanning is water wall.
Two ways to avoid water walling, 1. Slow down.
2. Change the tires.

Jamro300

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought it was Issaac Newton. Maybe AE was just quoting him.
This internet fact is true, Newton figured out the falling apple, while Einstein figured out relativity. Meaning if you spilled your coffee, because you hydroplane while going 80 in the rain, to you it comes out of the cup at 10 mph. For the person out side watching you hydroplane while going 80 in the rain the coffee will be moving at 90 mph. So to prevent coffee abuse don’t drive fast in the rain, you will hydroplane AWD or FWD fluid dynamics doesn’t care the number of drive wheels.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After much reading of this useful forum, I acquired a AWD 4k tow Lariat and also have on order a Hybrid Lux 360.

We live most often in rainy Florida and drive the interstate most often. Average speeds of traffic flow here often over 80 mph

Has anyone noted any hydroplaning on the AWD Maverick?

This forum had a post of somebody had a Hybrid hydroplaning a few times.

Looking to understand any significant hydroplaning differences between the two.

Thanks
Speaking as someone who learned to drive in wet and nasty weather, SLOW DOWN!

And turn on your headlights (not just DRLs) whenever your wipers are on.

Saying that the speed of the flow of traffic is "often over 80 MPH" is not an excuse for driving too fast for conditions.

Any vehicle can and will hydroplane if traction is interrupted, regardless of how many wheels are driven. If you start to hydroplane, take your foot off of the accelerator, cancel cruise control (via button, do not tap brakes), and keep both hands firmly on the wheel, and wait to regain traction. Hydroplaning is a severe warning that you are driving faster than your tires can move water out of their way.

Swami37

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Bronco and 2020 F150 FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I live in South Florida and I have not had any issues with hydroplaning, I also own a Maverick hybrid.
Same here. No issues had mine since March 2022
Sponsored