Urban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I know this has been asked a billion times so I might as well ask because I’m genuinely torn. I live in southern ohio. Snow and ice aren’t terrible here but there usually is a good stretch of time when we get deep snow and ice. My work commute is like 25 miles round trip, all city driving.

I love the idea of the hybrid being perfect for my situation but I am nervous about the Atkinson engine. I’ve heard no one knows how to work on them.

I also love the idea of having AWD as needed.

Do you have any advice that might ease my mind about maintenance issues with the Atkinson engine? I’ve already ordered my 24 hybrid. But I look at dealerships every day just in case I come across a Maverick while I’m waiting for my truck to be built.
Sponsored

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

dasblack

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Supposedly the Atkinson engine is getting replaced in MY25

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

There isn't anything special about fixing an Akinson cycle engine. It's a timing thing, the same motor can run in Akinson or in the traditional cycle, it's all down to the computer.

The only thing you need to find out before buying is if dealerships near you have hybrid technicians. If they don't you could be going a long way for services beyond basic maintenance.

jmatchco

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 BMW X3 M40i, 07 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There isn't anything special about fixing an Akinson cycle engine. It's a timing thing, the same motor can run in Akinson or in the traditional cycle, it's all down to the computer.

The only thing you need to find out before buying is if dealerships near you have hybrid technicians. If they don't you could be going a long way for services beyond basic maintenance.
As far as mechanics are concerned, all the mechanical parts are basically the same, just a different camshaft and valve timing.
Sponsored