First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
Premium is not required. And I paid 2.52 for 87 yesterday morning. Premium in the 2.70’s.
We are 3.89 for 87 and $4.05 for Premium
Sponsored

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I want to get and keep the Maverick for many years to come but not sure which engine? I drive an average of 10k per year and the hybrid numbers seem great(if valid?)but what will a replacement battery cost in 8-10 years vs the cost of gas for the ecoboost? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
If you have no plans to tow heavy or navigate off road, then there is really no reason to spring for the EB. Unless of course, you want more power.

OP
OP

botb70

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey
Thanks for all the input, I'll be ordering a hybrid. Safe travels to all.

Blessedintx

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
No more than the turbo you'll be replacing before you even get the truck paid off. :) And with the money alone saved on gas, you'll have half the cost covered. In case you missed the memo, premium unleaded is now over $4 dollars a gallon and you will have to run that in the 2.0 engine. And despite what some may claim pre-plandemic prices are never coming back, from food to gas.

Note that word 'plandemic'. Perhaps the greatest money making scheme since organized religion, toll roads and marijuana legalization.
Gas is $2.69 to $2.89 here in DFW

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Premium is not required. And I paid 2.52 for 87 yesterday morning. Premium in the 2.70’s.
Your local price is not representative of other areas in the country. In fact no states are showing premium prices below $3 and in 10 states premium is over $4. The lowest Premium gas is going for $3.36 in Oklahoma which is gas producing state. Texas is at $3.444.

https://gasprices.aaa.com/state-gas-price-averages

My Hybrid Maverick can't come soon enough.

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We can all justify the Hybrid or EcoBoost and most of us have already made up our mind. To me its just a truck so when the honeymoon is over, my priorities change or something better comes along that I fancy more I'll let the next owner worry about batteries or walnut shells. :D

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You don't say what you are using the truck for, but 10k a year and keeping it 10 years is still only 100k total miles. I doubt you'd have to replace the batteries in that time. With the hybrid you'll save about $300/year in gas, plus save up front with the cheaper purchase price, so about $4100 over 10 years. That ought to cover any major repair you might have.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your local price is not representative of other areas in the country. In fact no states are showing premium prices below $3 and in 10 states premium is over $4. The lowest Premium gas is going for $3.36 in Oklahoma which is gas producing state. Texas is at $3.444.

It's ~$4/gallon for 85 octane here in Utah.

rp2s

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None, waiting for 2024 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I want to get and keep the Maverick for many years to come but not sure which engine? I drive an average of 10k per year and the hybrid numbers seem great(if valid?)but what will a replacement battery cost in 8-10 years vs the cost of gas for the ecoboost? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
The battery in the hybrid should last for 200k miles at least. I’m using Toyota Prius numbers. The turbo does not last forever. It is a high wear item.

Sponsored

Catlady6

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalon
Your are assuming that the HV battery in a Hybrid WILL fail in 8-10 years.

This article: https://www.autotrader.com/car-tips/hybrid-battery-replacement-when-can-you-expect-it-221310

States:

When Will It Fail?

This is the most important question posed by hybrid owners and drivers considering a used hybrid. Unfortunately, answering it isn’t easy — largely because each case seems to be different. Some drivers experience failure at 70,000 miles, while others can make it to 200,000 miles without issue.

In our experience, hybrid batteries start to become a risk when they’re 10 to 15 years old and they’ve covered 120,000 to 150,000 miles. Yes, some owners will do a lot better than that. There are reports of batteries lasting well into the 200,000-mile range. But we wouldn’t suggest counting on those reports as the norm, especially if you’re considering a used hybrid and you’re on a budget.
"hybrid batteries start to become a risk when they’re 10 to 15 years old."
In 15 years I'll be 80. I'll be much more of a risk on the road than the battery. 😉

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I mean, we can argue gas prices I guess, but gas prices from other areas of the country are not representative to my area of South Louisiana. So, what’s the point? Lol

The Hybrid is optimal for you, that doesn’t make it a superior choice.

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 8 speed transmission is soo. . . complicated. It also has solonoid valves to actuate it. Better hope it lasts.

Ford Maverick Hybrid vs Ecoboost for my use? 1632681518218

Blessedintx

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape