clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having seen TFL mention there's no reverse gear in the trans, and reverse is strictly electric, what happens if the Hybrid battery is totally discharged? - Can you still reverse, or will the ICE generate energy to allow reversing? (Just a thought, after watching them backup the a trailer with the Hybrid, and specifically mentioning the lack of a reverse gear).
I guess the ICE+generator motor can do series mode and send current more or less directly to the traction motor. The battery will never be depleted unless something is very very wrong, reversing may be the least of your problems lol. HVBattery stays between like 30 and 80% charge or something, someone else can confirm more accurately.
Sponsored

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having seen TFL mention there's no reverse gear in the trans, and reverse is strictly electric, what happens if the Hybrid battery is totally discharged? - Can you still reverse, or will the ICE generate energy to allow reversing? (Just a thought, after watching them backup the a trailer with the Hybrid, and specifically mentioning the lack of a reverse gear).
Backup power is available:
Ford Maverick Hybrid power, how does it feel? Chinook.six-dog-Chinook-team-cropped-2-1

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
...reverse is strictly electric, what happens if the Hybrid battery is totally discharged? ...
Remember, this is a hybrid, not an EV. The battery is only a buffer, for short-term energy needs. The ICE and its tank of fuel are the primary energy sources. The battery is there to make the ICE more efficient. To do that, the HVB lives at ~50% charge, so it can either charge or discharge depending on the need.

Those with ForScan have said the HVB operating range is something like 18% to 90% of full charge. As charge level drops, it becomes impossible to avoid running the ICE. I conclude that it's not possible to fully discharge the HVB in normal operation.

Sponsored

Proflig8tor

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gulfstream / Grumman AA5B
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any thoughts on the top speed? I'm thinking about the highway speeds in TX where the posted is 80 and anyone not doing triple digits gets run over.
Isn’t the electric motor about 10x wheel speed? Thinking 100 to 105 is it.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

. I conclude that it's not possible to fully discharge the HVB in normal operation.
You shouldn't have concluded that. You should have declared it.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Isn’t the electric motor about 10x wheel speed? ...
Yep, but the motor redline is good for about 120 mph in the Escape Hybrid, which has the same gearing and tires.

Atisko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
We are so spoiled that we don’t think the Hybrid will have any power. Just got done reading an article in Hemmings Classic Car on the 1960 Chrysler 300F; 375 hp and 495 lb-ft of torque. At the time Motor Trend clocked 0-60 at 8.3 seconds, pretty much the same as the recent Maverick test videos discovered for the hybrid! Yes, I know 60 years have past.
This is an excellent point- looks close back as a early 80s the top performance cars were so much slower then today…

kcamp317

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid 16 Ford Escape SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can say from experience with my wife's 2020 Escape hybrid (same powertrain) that it works surprisingly well. The transition from gas to battery and vice versa as you drive is very seamless and it has plenty of power. Nothing as noticeable as the start/stop function in the purely gas vehicles at stoplights. The main strange thing to me when I drive it is that the brakes start very high on the pedal and are very sensitive. Easy to get used to though. Its also weird when you "start" the car there's no sound or feeling that its really on besides the dash display telling you its "ready to drive". Also the humming/spaceship type sound they make in reverse is different. IIRC there technically is no reverse gear, the reverse is done only on battery power/electric motor.

Sponsored

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
I guess the ICE+generator motor can do series mode and send current more or less directly to the traction motor. The battery will never be depleted unless something is very very wrong, reversing may be the least of your problems lol. HVBattery stays between like 30 and 80% charge or something, someone else can confirm more accurately.
Too bad we couldn't plug in for the night and have a fully charged battery to start the day.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I guess the ICE+generator motor can do series mode and send current more or less directly to the traction motor. The battery will never be depleted unless something is very very wrong, reversing may be the least of your problems lol. HVBattery stays between like 30 and 80% charge or something, someone
I doubt anyone's driven a hybrid with the battery completely discharged. That would be the equivalent of driving an ICE with no battery. Just doesn't happen.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It wouldn't do much good with the small battery pack on the Maverick.
And the way the system works is that it won't switch to the battery until the engine is up to operating temperature, so charging the little battery up before hand won't do much good anyway.
Sponsored