Maverick Generator... how much power?

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
My truck by contrast has a 33 gallon fuel tank, which is about over 1,100kwh of energy, and then another 15 gallons reserve 500kwh of energy.
You're missing the Elephant in the Room. Your 33 gal. of gas contain 1.1mWh of energy, but you can't access it.

The top automotive engines peak at 40% efficiency. THEY might get 0.44mWh out of that fuel, but YOUR generator is a demand device that's idling most of the time. Think in terms of "hours run per gallon." My generator gets about 2 hrs. /gal. We use about 10kWh/day (less without 240v appliances), so think more like 1kWh/gal., about 3% efficiency.

This is why you don't see lithium battery backup
It's found in solar power systems, for nights and clouds. As cost comes down, I'm hoping home back-up systems become available. The vast majority of our outages are very short, nuisance drops, not long-term loss. We have a generator for that.
No actually, the lithium ion works great in sub-zero.
Sub-zero Celsius, yes, Fahrenheit, no. The technology is temperature limited. You can't get high current out below -4F, and you can't charge to any appreciable current below 0C, 32F. We get below zero, and the car behaves very differently, but then, C-Max was an air-cooled HVB, while Ford's now using liquid cooling in Escape, and Maverick. I bet there's a heater in that loop.
Let me rephrase my question.
Based on C-Max and Escape Hybrid...
- AC is HV electric, so it runs off the HVB. The car must be ON. ICE will only run to maintain charge.
- the majority of the car is 12v electric systems, identical to non-hybrid drivetrains.
- 12v systems will remain active after turning to OFF until you open a door, or 2-10 minutes has elapsed.

Some things may remain active longer, but eventually, everything turns off to low enough load for the 12v battery to last many days inactive. The Escape will go into a "deep sleep" mode if inactive more than something like 7-10 days. Something has to sense you touch the doors...
- The Escape hybrid has a "turn off in 30 minutes" feature you can enable, or not.
- If left ON in PARK, Escape will cycle the ICE on and off to maintain HVB charge. It runs for ~2 minute with something less than 10% duty cycle.

These hybrids make great offices, which I predict will get management's attention.

And there is a lot of press around the F-150 Lightening EV, which will have some very interesting home interface and support capabilities, based solely on its huge HVB. This does not apply to hybrids. I know of no "home support" capabilities from anything with an ICE, even if it's possible with a plug-in.

Expect that of ALL the AC outlets or systems available with the 2.0L will be 12v-based in the hybrid.

I hope this helps, and that Escape is a good predictor.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My question is what is a 'reasonable' limit to expect? Someone had mentioned my hybrids having a 50kW generator (at red line), which would be way more than I would want or need. I wouldn't want to have the truck redline when I turned on a table saw.
I'd assume for the sake of simplicity that the 400W inverters on the Hybrid Maverick are wired into the 12V system same as the Ecoboost version. So the secondary limitation after the capacity of the inverter itself is the transformer from the HVB (220-ish Volts) to 12V. So even if you can get 50kW+ out of the transaxle's generator to the HVB it may only be able to convert a fraction of that.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're missing the Elephant in the Room. Your 33 gal. of gas contain 1.1mWh of energy, but you can't access it.
The calculation I used was based on MPGe, the supposed consensus of fuel to battery energy equivalent. A Tesla still has to convert its 400V DC power to 120V AC power too. Same thing, if you're lighting up one lightbulb with a super low load, it might be 3% efficient. ERCOT says the average Texas home uses 40kwh per day.

https://www.evpulse.com/features/fo...board-generator-in-the-2021-ford-f-150-hybrid

Did a quick google and found article that says at maximum load the F150 ran at 1K rpm at a rate of 1.07 gallons per hour, so at half load it should be more efficient than that, since normal idle is 650rpm. If it had the same 33 gallon capacity option as my current truck and another 15 gallons on hand, you would have to head to the gas station every two days at peak load.

A Tesla powerwall 2 can supposedly power a 40kwh/day home for 1/3rd of a day, and you can just drive a mile down the road to top off your battery.
It's found in solar systems, for nights and clouds. As cost comes down, I'm hoping home back-up systems become available. The vast majority of our outages are very short, nuisance drops, not long-term loss. We have a generator for that.
Sure, kind of like the pure-sine UPS that's on our home theater setup, made so brief power blips don't hurt anything, and it will keep the stuff running for 5 mins or so with its dual 9AH lead acid batteries.

My point was that, like you said, if I wanted a whole home backup power for something like the Texas freeze scenario (lasted 1-2 weeks) I would prefer a gasoline based generator since its easier to refuel and we had plenty of gasoline during the outage.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
... ERCOT says the average Texas home uses 40kwh per day.
That includes lots of electric heat, based on the howls we heard when utility bills came in after the freeze. How much natural gas per day? That's where we get most of our energy.
.... Did a quick google and found article that says at maximum load
But your house is not a constant, maximum load unless you're dumping into something like a whole house back-up battery. Standby power is the greatest inefficiency.
if I wanted a whole home backup power for something like the Texas freeze scenario
You'd need a weather-hardened, natural gas-powered back-up generator like many of my neighbors. We've had ice storms and a Labor Day Blowdown take power for a week. It's not all short-term outages, but long ones are decadal. I bought the 4KVA during the blowdown outage. I think I've used it 3-4 times, including a Sunday morning during football season. Power came back on at kick-off.

And yes, we have a UPS, but only on the network. My wife teaches; no one likes to lose the network mid-class.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You'd need a weather-hardened, natural gas-powered back-up generator like many of my neighbors. We've had ice storms and a Labor Day Blowdown take power for a week.
Those are great, but if you move every 3-4 years I don't think you get the ROI on resale. The Ford you could bring with you. Plus, we brought the generator over to our folks house that's just 45 mins away and hooked them up when they went down later, so its nice having mobile generator power. I wouldn't buy a car just for that, but if I were getting a F-150 anyway, I'd pay the small fee for that feature. I think it was like $800 extra to get the max 7.2KWH generator functionality.

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Am i the only one that remembers factory installed power out shafts you could use to power other things?

Rxturbo7man

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger, 87 RX7 TII, 10th AE Miata, 22 CX-5
Engine
Undecided
That includes lots of electric heat, based on the howls we heard when utility bills came in after the freeze. How much natural gas per day? That's where we get most of our energy.

But your house is not a constant, maximum load unless you're dumping into something like a whole house back-up battery. Standby power is the greatest inefficiency.

You'd need a weather-hardened, natural gas-powered back-up generator like many of my neighbors. We've had ice storms and a Labor Day Blowdown take power for a week. It's not all short-term outages, but long ones are decadal. I bought the 4KVA during the blowdown outage. I think I've used it 3-4 times, including a Sunday morning during football season. Power came back on at kick-off.

And yes, we have a UPS, but only on the network. My wife teaches; no one likes to lose the network mid-class.
We have a Generac generator powered by natural gas, auto turn-on, does the whole house. Have had it for over 15 years and it's been a lifesaver....worth its cost alone just for those days Superstorm Sandy took out the grid here in NY. With gas stations also without power, a gasoline powered unit wouldn't have done the job.
Sponsored