First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I saw a number of articles talking about the Ford F150 Hybrid and its generator and they mentioned the F150 and Maverick and how the Ford Engineers knew how capable they were when they saved a wedding. I hadn't even known that there was a Hybrid F150 but when I looked it has a 3.5L Hybrid engine and options for 2, 2.4 or 7.2kW Pro Power on Board option. I know a 3.5 L v6 can do better than the 2.5 in the Maverick but I suspect the Maverick can do better than 400 watts if the F150 can do 7.2kW. Anyone know what is the Maverick's Engineer could power?
Sponsored

DuaneM

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500
Totally different setup. It's theoretically possible that they'll improve the power delivery of the Maverick in the future, but not at this price point. A fairly minimalist f150 hybrid with the 7.2kw system will push $50k

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Totally different setup. It's theoretically possible that they'll improve the power delivery of the Maverick in the future, but not at this price point. A fairly minimalist f150 hybrid with the 7.2kw system will push $50k
Does the engine run in the 150 when using the generator?

OP
OP

ralatalo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It does, based on what I have read... ( https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a35152752/powered-house-ford-f-150-hybrid/ )
The PowerBoost drivetrain is cool on its own—with 430 horsepower and 570 pound-feet of torque, it's the quickest non-Raptor-engine F-150 we've ever tested, while improving fuel economy by 20 percent—but the onboard generator is the intriguing option. Dubbed Pro Power Onboard, it's available in several different outputs, from 2.0 kilowatts (with the 2.7-liter V-6 and 5.0 V-8) up to a maximum of 7.2 kilowatts with the twin-turbo 3.5-liter V-6.
The F-150 ran everything simultaneously, and could have handled more. I know this because the generator display on the 12-inch dash screen shows exactly how much power you're demanding at any given moment. My various gadgets devoured 3200 watts, which is way beyond the draw that would have caused my Honda to blow its circuit breaker. This is more than half of the power available to 120-volts, but less than half of the system capacity if I were running my house off the 240-volt feed. In fact, the truck seemed bored with this assignment. Occasionally, the V-6 would shut down and leave the truck's 1.5-kWh lithium battery to run the show, resulting in the quietest 7.2-kW generator you'll ever hear. There's a muted whirr from beneath the truck, and that's it.

Sponsored

DuaneM

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500
It will when the battery runs low, just like any hybrid. If you're pushing near the max that won't take long, but for small loads it will take much longer.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It will when the battery runs low, just like any hybrid. If you're pushing near the max that won't take long, but for small loads it will take much longer.
So it has a converter somewhere on it.....That wont be cheap to replace.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
It does, based on what I have read... ( https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a35152752/powered-house-ford-f-150-hybrid/ )
The PowerBoost drivetrain is cool on its own—with 430 horsepower and 570 pound-feet of torque, it's the quickest non-Raptor-engine F-150 we've ever tested, while improving fuel economy by 20 percent—but the onboard generator is the intriguing option. Dubbed Pro Power Onboard, it's available in several different outputs, from 2.0 kilowatts (with the 2.7-liter V-6 and 5.0 V-8) up to a maximum of 7.2 kilowatts with the twin-turbo 3.5-liter V-6.
The F-150 ran everything simultaneously, and could have handled more. I know this because the generator display on the 12-inch dash screen shows exactly how much power you're demanding at any given moment. My various gadgets devoured 3200 watts, which is way beyond the draw that would have caused my Honda to blow its circuit breaker. This is more than half of the power available to 120-volts, but less than half of the system capacity if I were running my house off the 240-volt feed. In fact, the truck seemed bored with this assignment. Occasionally, the V-6 would shut down and leave the truck's 1.5-kWh lithium battery to run the show, resulting in the quietest 7.2-kW generator you'll ever hear. There's a muted whirr from beneath the truck, and that's it.
Thanks for linking that excellent article Robert.

In Japan both Toyota and Nissan demonstrated systems to interface EVs and Hybrids to homes a few years ago. Why they're not available in the U.S. is beyond me. They could have saved a lot of grief in Texas this past year.
Most hybrids have a 50 kw generator. That would be with the motor near or at red-line. 10 kw is no problem.

OP
OP

ralatalo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is a 400 watt inverter, not a generator. You won't power anything along those sorts of lines like deep freezes or whole homes. Think charging some power tool batteries or e-bike batteries or a tv, things along those lines.
Understood but a hybrid by almost by definition includes a generator from regenerative braking and I suspect possibly even at idle if it wanted to. I was just hoping for maybe something closer to 2kW.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

In Japan both Toyota and Nissan demonstrated systems to interface EVs and Hybrids to homes a few years ago. Why they're not available in the U.S. is beyond me. They could have saved a lot of grief in Texas this past year.
Most hybrids have a 50 kw generator. That would be with the motor near or at red-line. 10 kw is no problem.
News made it about a dealer loaning out the hybrid 150s to do just that.....

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

EV would have been pretty crappy as a generator in the Texas freeze.

Even a Tesla with its massively heavy 100kwh battery isn't all that much energy stored when you think about it, and when its gone its gone. Texans had no way to recharge that battery again, whereas we had plenty of gasoline, and in fact we even stored another 15 gallons of fuel at home for emergency purposes.

My truck by contrast has a 33 gallon fuel tank, which is about over 1,100kwh of energy, and then another 15 gallons reserve 500kwh of energy. So when you get low you just drive the truck over to the gas station a mile down the road, fill up what you can of the 48 gallon capacity and head back home. That round trip would take 20 mins casually to get there, fill up, and head back home.

So one initial storage plus one refill would be 3,200kwh of power, a pretty big difference to the 100kwh Tesla battery. If you have something more standard like a Nissan Leaf, that one has only a 40kwh battery. Can you imagine the time investment to bring your Leaf somewhere that has power and waiting for a 100% charge 80 times?

This is why you don't see lithium battery backup generators, they are almost always gasoline, diesel, or natural gas.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV would have been pretty crappy as a generator in the Texas freeze.

Even a Tesla with its massively heavy 100kwh battery isn't all that much energy stored when you think about it, and when its gone its gone. Texans had no way to recharge that battery again, whereas we had plenty of gasoline, and in fact we even stored another 15 gallons of fuel at home for emergency purposes.

My truck by contrast has a 33 gallon fuel tank, which is about over 1,100kwh of energy, and then another 15 gallons reserve 500kwh of energy. So when you get low you just drive the truck over to the gas station a mile down the road, fill up what you can of the 48 gallon capacity and head back home. That round trip would take 20 mins casually to get there, fill up, and head back home.

So one initial storage plus one refill would be 3,200kwh of power, a pretty big difference to the 100kwh Tesla battery. If you have something more standard like a Nissan Leaf, that one has only a 40kwh battery. Can you imagine the time investment to bring your Leaf somewhere that has power and waiting for a 100% charge 80 times?

This is why you don't see lithium battery backup generators, they are almost always gasoline, diesel, or natural gas.
Hey Jessica! No actually, the lithium ion works great in sub-zero. Or whatever you Texan's call a freeze. It's not a generator really. Just a source.

Also, that Tesla battery would provide me with about 2 weeks of emergency power. 250 watts/24/7. I got wood heat for back-up.

Now how are you generating electricity with your pickup? Treadmill? Handknit belt? Jumper cables? Siphoning?

No matter how you end up doing it, any hybrid will do it way better. With way less pollution..

What is your point really? What did 48 gallons of gas do for you? Are you saying EV's and Hybrids are useless for emergency power? Why?

There used to be a bumper sticker up here: "If God wanted Texans to ski he'd a made bullshit white!"

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also, that Tesla battery would provide me with about 2 weeks of emergency power.
You have some pretty low power requirements there. Either way, Tesla isn't designed for it: https://www.motorbiscuit.com/dont-use-your-tesla-to-power-your-home-it-could-cost-you-16000/
Now how are you generating electricity with your pickup? Treadmill? Handknit belt? Jumper cables? Siphoning?
What? With an inverter obviously. And we're talking about vehicles with built in generators, like the up to 7.2KW generator available in the F-150 that will have no problem running a household. It uses a pure-sine wave inverter, so no risk of damaging sensitive electronics.
No matter how you end up doing it, any hybrid will do it way better. With way less pollution..
Why? Think about why hybrids are more efficient on the road. There's no regenerative braking, just an engine operating at a fixed RPM needed for the load.
What is your point really?
I already explained the difference... 3,200kwh of power reserves easily refilled is a bigger number than 100kwh of power reserves that can't really be refilled.

In our case though, we just use a regular generator that we already had running continuously for a week. The hassle compared to if we had the F-150 setup is that a truck can have a gigantic fuel tank and can run very quietly and is on wheels, whereas for a regular generator they can be heavy and have to be regularly refilled since they usually only have 3-4 gallon fuel tanks and some of them can be loud.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have some pretty low power requirements there. Either way, Tesla isn't designed for it: https://www.motorbiscuit.com/dont-use-your-tesla-to-power-your-home-it-could-cost-you-16000/

What? With an inverter obviously. And we're talking about vehicles with built in generators, like the up to 7.2KW generator available in the F-150 that will have no problem running a household. It uses a pure-sine wave inverter, so no risk of damaging sensitive electronics.

Why? Think about why hybrids are more efficient on the road. There's no regenerative braking, just an engine operating at a fixed RPM needed for the load.

I already explained the difference... 3,200kwh of power reserves easily refilled is a bigger number than 100kwh of power reserves that can't really be refilled.

In our case though, we just use a regular generator that we already had running continuously for a week. The hassle compared to if we had the F-150 setup is that a truck can have a gigantic fuel tank and can run very quietly and is on wheels, whereas for a regular generator they can be heavy and have to be regularly refilled since they usually only have 3-4 gallon fuel tanks and some of them can be loud.
Yeah, we're the same way. Run the usual generator. That's why I'm getting a 2.0

OP
OP

ralatalo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Let me rephrase my question. My understanding is the Air Condition is 'electric' vs belt driven so can run off the battery, as does the head lights and radio, etc ... I understand that if I have the truck off, these would all drain the battery till it was dead. However, if let the truck 'idle' I would expect that there is some mechanism to maintain the power level to prevent the battery from dying. I also suspect that there is some limit to how much power the system can recover from the engine at idle.

My question is what is a 'reasonable' limit to expect? Someone had mentioned my hybrids having a 50kW generator (at red line), which would be way more than I would want or need. I wouldn't want to have the truck redline when I turned on a table saw.
Sponsored