Sponsored

Hybrid Battery Replacement Anxiety

Previous Hybrid Owners Only: Did you have to replace the battery on your vehicle?

• Total voters

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the battery dies (obviously this is not realistic in my opinion) but how long could you drive in just the ice or would you even be able to?
You probably can't, but that hybrid battery has a lot of cells. You should have a ton of warning signs before the whole thing fails.
Sponsored

Dochatley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, 2024 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Traded my 2010 Prius after 6 years and 110,000 miles. No battery issues at all. The original 12 volt was still working well.

hj630

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maverick xlt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I only owned hybrid before and hybrid battery is fine. I also took grad course on hybrid vehicles. It’s very hard to hybrid battery to completely fail. As long it hold charges and can discharge, it will work. You may see drop in mpg after 10+ yrs but unless you way over heat it, it should last longer than other major part of your car

Tnav08

First Name
Torance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
On my third hybrid.
My first hybrid was a 2007 Mariner, bought it new and just recently gave it my niece for graduation when my Maverick arrived. Only had one issue with the battery, had to replace the cooling fans inside the battery pack when the bearings failed in 2016. About $100 for the kit from Ford, not bad for a 14 year old, 260,000+ mile vehicle.
High voltage battery technology is great, issues are very rare.

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My previous car was 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid that had 110,000 miles on it before a deer took it out. Not a single problem with the HEV battery or the 12V.

Sponsored

DaveH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion hybrid Se
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 2014 fusion hybrid with 215k miles and have only seen minor decrease in battery performance

s.ober

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Prius; 1998 Sienna
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It seems like a lot of people are concerned about replacement cost of the hybrid battery. I'd like to hear from actual owners of previous hybrid vehicles: did you have to replace the battery on your vehicle?

If you did, please reply to this thread below with the mileage and cost.

Thank you!
First Prius (2004) went 185,000 miles before I sold it. Did not replace battery, brakes or CVT Fluid. Have 100k on my 2015 Prius.

Last edited:

SuperA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022, Ford Maverick Hybird
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because I tend to keep my vehicles a long time....I drove my 08 Escape 156K miles before selling it after receiving my Mav this does concern me. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

day004

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wife's current ride is a 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid with 78K miles on the clock. No issues at all with the Hybrid battery. Ran 500 to replace the main 12v. I let her have the dealer do it as there is some configurations settings that need to be done.

D Janke

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Lariat !
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I only had my 2014 Fusion Hybrid 3 years before the Maverick but no issues with the HV battery. The 12V might have been original and was finally giving up the ghost before I traded it in.

The 2012 and older Fusion Hybrids when they got to 6-8 years old were programmed to reduce HV battery usage which decreased MPG. People have been able to reset the battery life with Forscan and restore full mileage. Ford must have been hewing cautious with the new lithium packs. I wasn't able to find anyone reporting needing to do it with the 2013 refresh/C-Max so they may have dropped it.
I was one of those guys ......
2011 Fusion Hybrid, 96,000 miles on it and almost exactly at the 10 year mark the hybrid system failed. I did research and saw that it was a fixable Ford pre-programmed failure.
Found a local outfit in Phoenix (Auto Programmers or something like that).
For $140ish they came to my house, re-programmed the computer to believe that the hybrid system was 1 year old rather than 10, and it was again working perfectly.
I was in disbelief, but for that cost it was well worth it as opposed to $5k+.

And then eventually I traded it in for this really cool Maverick Lariat Hybrid LoL

Sponsored

TRQ427

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2500 HD-97 CHEROKEE-69 427 BISCAYNE-MAYBE 2023 XL
I rebuilt two Prius batteries put a used one in out of a wrecked vehicle and finally bought a rebuilt battery with a short warranty and sold the car at around 260k I think. I was not going to pay the 4-6k for the dealer to put a battery in. They all have started burning oil around 100,000 miles too. I attribute that to the ice starting and stopping. I’ve given my experience before when people have talked about keeping a hybrid for 15-20 years but no one listens. With that said I’ve got two Prius’s now and if Ford ever builds me a Maverick it will be a hybrid.
I'm not "ANTI HYBRID", I do business with 4 Toyota dealers each week, in the service depts each time. The other day, there were 9 Prius in a bank of 20 bays,, two were in the process of a battery replacement AFTER the owners tried to go the "rebuild" path. The Toyo techs dont like doing them. They told me the current costs are $4K for the battery, and $1200 labor,,It's unreal how deep they have to disassemble the car to change it. Takes up two bays. At the end of the day, Toyota is the only hybrid I would own, definatly the leader in this technology, and there techs know how to work on them.

pndwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450 Amb
Engine
Undecided
I'm not "ANTI HYBRID", I do business with 4 Toyota dealers each week, in the service depts each time. The other day, there were 9 Prius in a bank of 20 bays,, two were in the process of a battery replacement AFTER the owners tried to go the "rebuild" path. The Toyo techs dont like doing them. They told me the current costs are $4K for the battery, and $1200 labor,,It's unreal how deep they have to disassemble the car to change it. Takes up two bays. At the end of the day, Toyota is the only hybrid I would own, definatly the leader in this technology, and there techs know how to work on them.
The car at the time wasn’t worth much more than a battery cost. I tried a few times to get Toyota to sell me a new battery and I would put it in, they wouldn’t do it. Liability blah blah blah.

Tim Payne

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Rio
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
9 years on the C-Max message board and cannot recall (pun) anyone with issues. Now when you consider the 12v battery, that's a VERY different story.
Thank you for that. It honestly never occurred to me that my hybrid might need multiple batteries. For some reason I thought it'd start electric and that batt or inertia would start the ICE. I mean, you think it'd be a simple transformer issue to drop volts and increase amps.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My first hybrid was a 2008 Prius, which I sold to my son in 2017 at about 130k miles. He drove it 5 years and sold it with about 180k miles. My 2017 Prius is now at 80k miles.

My husband bought his 1st hybrid (Prius C) in 2012 and sold it to our son in late fall of 2021 with about 90k miles, and it's still our son's personal vehicle. Husband took delivery of his hybrid Maverick in early March of this year.

The only big expense we've ever had with any of the above hybrid vehicles was exactly the OPPOSITE of a hybrid system problem, in that the expense was replacing the gas tank in my 2008 Prius at 108k miles, because it partially collapsed.
Aaarrrggghhh!!! Was waiting for edit of last sentence "...., because it partially collapsed when it FINALLY WAS SUCKED DRY!"🤗

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid.
First Year "First American Hybrid".
One of First 10,000 made.

Battery was still in perfect operating condition at 235,000 miles in 2019 when someone rear-ended it. Taking it's life prematurely. Otherwise I'd still be driving it. I towed quite a bit with it too.

Same MPG on last day as first day.
It had NiMH battery cells.
Sponsored