Sponsored

Hybrid Battery Replacement Anxiety

Previous Hybrid Owners Only: Did you have to replace the battery on your vehicle?

• Total voters

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It seems like a lot of people are concerned about replacement cost of the hybrid battery. I'd like to hear from actual owners of previous hybrid vehicles: did you have to replace the battery on your vehicle?

If you did, please reply to this thread below with the mileage and cost.

Thank you!
Bought a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid new. Now my sons car, he has had 2 battery related repairs totaling $2100. As I understand it, the battery has 3 segments. First battery segment replaced at mid 200k miles, was a “new” replacement ($1,395). Second was “recycled” replacement at low 300k miles for ($695). Car still runs great at 376,000 miles. (FYI, my Maverick Hybrid drives very similar)

Ford Maverick Hybrid Battery Replacement Anxiety 7C936DC7-8963-4D62-BB6C-0CED7843D870
Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
I'd like to hear from actual owners of previous hybrid vehicles: did you have to replace the battery on your vehicle?
Without knowing battery technology, you can't tell if failures are clustered in obsolete technologies no longer in common use.
- Li-ion battery technology doesn't fail in hybrid applications, it's a life-of-car part, as predicted by Ford's Key Life Test data in 2012, at Gen-3 C-Max introduction. (Maverick is Gen-4+)
- Nickle-metal-hybrid technology was used in Ford Gen-1 and Gen-2 Escape hybrids, as well as many generations of Toyotas. Cars using this technology will see higher replacement rates than Li-ion vehicles. Toyota's seem to last ~100K.
Ford Maverick Hybrid Battery Replacement Anxiety Key Life Test Ford Results NiMH Li Ion

Base your expectations on what you actually bought, not obsolete technologies you didn't.

Micheal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Micheal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Escape Hy, 2014 Escape, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It seems like a lot of people are concerned about replacement cost of the hybrid battery. I'd like to hear from actual owners of previous hybrid vehicles: did you have to replace the battery on your vehicle?

Thank you!
I have a 2012 Ford Escape Hybrid, 135000 miles. No issues.

husker_84

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
We have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata hybrid that we bought new. In about 2018 it had some weird issue where it wouldn’t start, and we had it towed to a dealer. They couldn’t figure out what was wrong with it, and slowly replaced each part of the hybrid system, in coordination with hyundai corporate engineers. Finally, they replaced the battery last, and some combination of replaced parts fixed it. The total would have been like $15000, but it was all under warranty, no cost to us, including having a dealer loaner car for about 3 months. It’s been fine since then. Like I say, clearly just one of those freak things, never heard of another sonata having that issue.

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thank you!
I was in a Taxi 2 or 3 years ago. It was a Prius and had around 550k miles on it. I was blown away how many miles this guy had on his car. I asked if it was the first battery and he told me that he replaced it at 350k miles.
Even though Maverick is a different type of vehicle, I am sure many other parts might fail before the hybrid battery dies. Also, for those who live in california, the hybrid battery has 10 years and 150k miles warranty.

Sponsored

pndwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450 Amb
Engine
Undecided
Without knowing battery technology, you can't tell if failures are clustered in obsolete technologies no longer in common use.
- Li-ion battery technology doesn't fail in hybrid applications, it's a life-of-car part, as predicted by Ford's Key Life Test data in 2012, at Gen-3 C-Max introduction. (Maverick is Gen-4+)
- Nickle-metal-hybrid technology was used in Ford Gen-1 and Gen-2 Escape hybrids, as well as many generations of Toyotas. Cars using this technology will see higher replacement rates than Li-ion vehicles. Toyota's seem to last ~100K.
Key Life Test Ford Results NiMH Li Ion.jpg

Base your expectations on what you actually bought, not obsolete technologies you didn't.

To be objective, that is a 10 year old projection by the company selling the product and not historical data.
Lithium batteries are much better than NiMH and have much fewer failures but they do have failures and do cost more than NiMH batteries.
Most people get rid of a hybrid long before any type of long term failure of any type will be a problem.

Montykeel

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011Escape Hybrid and 2022 XL Poverty Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm a sample of 1, but daily driving 2011 Escape Hybrid. 170,00+ miles and no sign of battery problem.

StillWaiting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the battery dies (obviously this is not realistic in my opinion) but how long could you drive in just the ice or would you even be able to?

midcoastme

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 PT Cruisers & Maverick Lariat Hybrid.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Also, for those who live in california, the hybrid battery has 10 years and 150k miles warranty.
Here in Maine the California emissions are followed, so we have 10 years, 150K miles on the battery & electric components.

Last edited:

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the battery dies (obviously this is not realistic in my opinion) but how long could you drive in just the ice or would you even be able to?
If the high voltage battery dies completely you are walking :cautious:. The hv battery is used to start the ICE and operate the transaxle.

Cheers.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Define "dies." I don't think batteries die. Rather, they lose effectiveness and ability to hold charge.

StillWaiting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the high voltage battery dies completely you are walking :cautious:. The hv battery is used to start the ICE and operate the transaxle.

Cheers.
Yeah I just remembered that😂. I sure hope I won’t have to walk anytime soon after getting the truck

tngreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
2 weeks ago...Chicago...Uber...2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid 400K...original Hybrid battery pack and ICE.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
To be objective, that is a 10 year old projection...
True, but it's more than borne out by the performance of the product over those 10 years. Lots of 250K C-Max's out there, and the C-Max Hybrid forum has no HVB issues.

The C-Max Energi (plug-in version) has all the normal, air-cooled plug-in issues. Different beast.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thank you!
My first hybrid was a 2008 Prius, which I sold to my son in 2017 at about 130k miles. He drove it 5 years and sold it with about 180k miles. My 2017 Prius is now at 80k miles.

My husband bought his 1st hybrid (Prius C) in 2012 and sold it to our son in late fall of 2021 with about 90k miles, and it's still our son's personal vehicle. Husband took delivery of his hybrid Maverick in early March of this year.

The only big expense we've ever had with any of the above hybrid vehicles was exactly the OPPOSITE of a hybrid system problem, in that the expense was replacing the gas tank in my 2008 Prius at 108k miles, because it partially collapsed.
Sponsored